Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spong Bob
Auntie 04:00 PM 06-18-2011
Do you allow your daycare kids to watch this show? Or your own children for that matter?

I just want to know how you all feel about this cartoon and why you allow it or why not.
littlemissmuffet 04:03 PM 06-18-2011
This was discussed very recently here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=sponge+bob
sharlan 04:35 PM 06-18-2011
Nope, I don't like it, don't watch it, but I am out numbered in my home.
Michael 05:11 PM 06-18-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
This was discussed very recently here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=sponge+bob
Nice catch. I didn't even think of it.
Unregistered 06:07 PM 06-18-2011
No, never. Terrible. Even if my kids found out about it from school or by being at other friends houses I wouldn't allow it. Somethings are left unsaid and spongebob hasn't learned that yet.
WImom 07:23 PM 06-18-2011
I don't like the show (I find his laugh soooo annoying) but grandparents were letting mine watch it and DH likes so I'm also out numbered here. My kids are not allowed to watch it when DC kids are here and the only thing I let the DCK's watch is PBS, dora and Pinky Dinky Do.
AfterSchoolMom 07:38 PM 06-18-2011
I may be in the minority, but I really like Sponge Bob. We don't have cable anymore, so don't watch much of anything, but we used to watch it all the time as a family.
PitterPatter 07:44 PM 06-18-2011
I don't allow it. I have caught my son watching it (he's 9) on his TV in his room and he will hurry to tell me it's not a bad episode. lol Right!

I have eased up on him a little but I can't stand Spongebob. He is ok but squidward and plankton work my nerves as well as bobs laugh!

As for my daycare kids, absolutley not permitted to view that in my home! With the words they use I don't want 1 going hom and calling someone a moron or idiot etc and having to explain it. I don't want those types of words learned in my home. I don't allow much tv at all. A little here and there and mainly sprout channel or videos like Leap frog letter factory etc...
Hunni Bee 08:15 PM 06-18-2011
Spongebob is clearly an adult's cartoon...regardless of what channel they show it on. Nickelodeon is famous for doing that...remember "Rocko's Modern Life" and "Ren and Stimpy"...obviously not for children. Besides it being overly gross...most of the jokes I know I wouldn't understand if I were a child.

And being that Spongebob comes on about 27 times a day...its hard to keep from your kids unless you avoid Nick mostly...but I wouldn't allow my kids to watch it.

My kids only watch PBSkids during breakfast...and occasionally episodes of PBS shows that I pull up online.
Abigail 08:54 PM 06-18-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Nickelodeon is famous for doing that...remember "Rocko's Modern Life" and "Ren and Stimpy"...obviously not for children. Besides it being overly gross...most of the jokes I know I wouldn't understand if I were a child.
I remember being at a friends house when I was in elementary school and she got into trouble for watching Ren and Stimpy! I didn't care for that show, but I watched Rocko's modern Life too, lol. Another show that was on a lot was something like Beavis and Butthead or something. Spongebob is definately an adult show yet my dh and I watch it weekly I bet. Our daycare has it, but in my own daycare I will not have this. TV should be limited and have good meaning to it in my home for children. I would do the same if I had children of my own too.
safechner 11:17 PM 06-18-2011
I absolutely love to watch Sponge Bob but I dont see anything wrong with it. I do allowed my kids to watch but my youngest daughter dont like that show. She can't stand of it. My oldest daughter is not interested to watch any shows or movies.
boysx5 04:41 AM 06-19-2011
I don't like but I let the kids watch it disney movies have their moments to
Meyou 05:40 AM 06-19-2011
We don't have cable so they don't watch much of anything. I personally find spongebob annoying.
JenNJ 06:33 AM 06-19-2011
I don't let my dc kids watch it (not words I would want them learning here - idiot, etc.), but we regularly watch it as a family (kids are 5 and 2). Dh and I love it. I only do the kiddie channels here during the daycare hours (PBSkids, Disney Jr., Nick Jr.).

I think 90% of the cartoons I watched as a kid were way worse than Spongebob. I actually think we have gotten a little too PC about kids programming.
jen 01:08 PM 06-19-2011
I don't let the daycare kids watch it...I don't care if my own kids do.

Just my opinion but...While I wouldn't allow my kids to watch graphically violent TV or overtly sexual TV or movies, poor language just isn't that big of a deal to me because my kids simply know better at this age. I don't agree that TV has the ability to influence kids to the extent that many believe IF their parents are providing appropriate feedback, discpline, love, time, etc.
Auntie 02:49 PM 06-19-2011
Oh sorry I didn't know there was a thread on this topic already. I read through both threads on this. It was interesting to read about everyone's view on it.
Abigail 06:52 PM 06-19-2011
Has anyone ever asked the kids what they watch at home?! LOL, one of my three year olds watches Teen Mom and other shows similar. She actually watches them because she talks about it.
squareone 10:13 AM 06-20-2011
For the same reasons that others have stated, I don't let daycare kids watch it and I don't let my own kids (both under 5) watch it. if I had older children say, age 9 and up, I might consider letting them watch it but I don't feel it's a cartoon appropriate for the under 9 crowd.

Like I always say, just because a show is animated does NOT mean it's a cartoon.

As far as parental controls go, what is the TV rating for spongebob anyway?
MarinaVanessa 10:25 AM 06-20-2011
Spongebob was originally made for kids 6-11 years old.

I don't like it. My daughter is 6 and is now allowed to watch it but I don't think it teaches kids anything but how to be annoying. My daughter does the spongebob laugh or the patrick talk repeatedly and it bothers the bejeezus out of me.

I don't let the kids watch this show here at daycare and my daughter can't watch it until the daycare kids are gone. I tolerate it because I would rather her watch that than cartoon network. I once walked into our bedroom while hubby was watching spongebob with DD and DS and I flipped the channel to Sprout only because he had the baby in there and the baby had what reminded me of the stupid patrick stare. No spongebob for baby. They watched Fifi and the Flowertots instead lol .
E Daycare 11:04 AM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I may be in the minority, but I really like Sponge Bob. We don't have cable anymore, so don't watch much of anything, but we used to watch it all the time as a family.
We love it too. Then again as our DS has no chance as our cat is named Stimpy and DS is named after a certain comic called "_______ and Hobbes".

We're banking a good sense of humor as ours are dry/witty/un tamed too. GOOD LUCK to my kid.

I dont have TV on when DCK are here though. Parents dont pay me to plunk their kid in front of the TV and I wouldnt appreciate my kid being in front of it more than I allow it.
Stacy214 11:07 AM 06-20-2011
I don't allow them (dck) to watch it here BUT know for a fact that they watch it at home....my 2 yr old picked up some bad habits from that show, it's just annoying but the parents think it's "cute" ugh
Tags:cartoons, spong bob, television
Reply Up