Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charge them or not? What would you do ? Help!
daycare 09:57 AM 07-19-2011
Hey guys...hope everyone is having a good start to their work week!

I am currently trying to help one of my good clients out by providing some care on the weekends. They have been clients for over a year and have always been great to me and my family.

So this weekend I will be watching their kids on Friday night and Saturday. I am charging $10.00 per hour for the family.

My son is having a bday party this saturday and all of the DCK have been invited. The party will be 3 hours long. The kids that I am baby sitting I will have the kids from 9am until 4:30 pm. the family is paying for care in advance in blocks of time.

So the mom asks me if I will be charging her for the 3 hours that the bday party will be conducted as there will be other DCK present that are NOT paying to come to my childs bday party....lmao... Only difference is that some of the DCK parents will be present for the party to watch their child, one will not be at the party and then the two kids that I am watching.

My thoughts on this are all over the place....I am leaning towards charging them, as no matter what the event, I still have to watch them. Party or not, I still have to supervise, feed, love, and care for these kids....

WWYD?
momma4many 10:01 AM 07-19-2011
I see where your feeling a little conflicted here, I probably would too. That being said, I would want to charge her. If they were home with their kids for the weekend and were invited to the party, would they be just dropping them off or would they be staying for the party?
MarinaVanessa 10:02 AM 07-19-2011
Ask her if she would be okay with you offering no direct supervision during the hours of your party since she's asking not to pay . My opinion is to charge her. You are taking care of her children so why would she assume that you wouldn't charge her? Like you said, the other DCKs that are going are not paying but their parents are going which means that you are not supervising their children. The one who's parents are not going I'm assuming is either old enough to pretty take care of him/herself or is probably attending under someone else's care (ex: going with another family). Seems a little petty to me that you are caring for their child over a weekend and they're asking for no charge during the party .
Country Kids 10:04 AM 07-19-2011
Absolutely charge them! I can't believe she even asked such a thing. Let her know that you are being nice just by watching the children the day of his party but you are still working. Let her know that even though there is a party going on you are still responsible for them and you are treating it as if it were a childcare day.

Does she realize she is taking away from family time by having you watch them? What I'm starting to see with more and more parents is they are relying way to much on the childcare provider to watch their children on off days/hours. What happened to the days you hired a babysitter, grandma came over, etc.
meganlavonnesmommy 10:06 AM 07-19-2011
Definately charge them. If you are the adult in charge of those children during the party, then you need to be paid for watching them. The other daycare children that are coming will have their parent there to supervise them.

I cant even believe the parent asked you this! That's just rude IMHO.
daycare 10:08 AM 07-19-2011
My thoughts exactly... I still have to supervise the kids regardless of what is going on. I should have told her no not this weekend, as we know how hetic it is trying to set up and organize a bday party of any kind. Then to throw a few kids to have to watch into the mix.
I think that i will tell her that unless she sends someone to watch the kids during the party that I will charge her during that time.

it seems like everyone wants something for nothings these days. AND I think that my niceness has been mistaken for weakness.........
daycare 10:11 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Absolutely charge them! I can't believe she even asked such a thing. Let her know that you are being nice just by watching the children the day of his party but you are still working. Let her know that even though there is a party going on you are still responsible for them and you are treating it as if it were a childcare day.

Does she realize she is taking away from family time by having you watch them? What I'm starting to see with more and more parents is they are relying way to much on the childcare provider to watch their children on off days/hours. What happened to the days you hired a babysitter, grandma came over, etc.
I am begining to feel like I am the only one that these people have which is not a good feeling. I know that they don't have any family local, but there are other people in thier life that I am sure they could find to help them out on the weekends.

I wonder too what people think I do on the weekends? I have 3 kids to care for and spend time with. I hope that I did not just dig myself into a hole here.....lol
wdmmom 10:30 AM 07-19-2011
You will still be providing care, food, shelter and direct supervision, therefore you charge for it! It's a service! It just so happens to fall on your child's birthday. It wouldn't matter if you planned a family trip to the zoo, you charge.

If the family questions it, than maybe they need to find alternate care for the day. If other DCK's will be present, I'm sure so will their parents. Clearly if you aren't providing direct care, you wouldn't need to charge them.

I hope that makes sense and you can find a peaceful solution to the matter.
DaisyMamma 10:47 AM 07-19-2011
Definitely charge.
squareone 11:51 AM 07-19-2011
I agree with all pp's that you should charge her. Especially since she had the gall to ask this. Rude rude rude.
SilverSabre25 12:04 PM 07-19-2011
Well, you could tell her that if she doesn't want to be charged for those three hours, then you will consider it to be a split shift, and you charge more for split shift care-- $16.67/hr to be exact.

If you're curious, that's:

$10*7.5 hrs = $75
$75/4.5 hrs = $16.67/hr
Mom_of_two 12:15 PM 07-19-2011
I would charge, too. Especially if all other parents will be there. I wouldn't ever consider watching kids on the weekends, or even past 5 (BTDT) so think it is very generous that you are agreeing to do that for them, even with pay.
JaydensMommy 12:18 PM 07-19-2011
Yes, I agree. You should charge them. You are still going out of your way to provide care on the weekend for them.
WImom 12:39 PM 07-19-2011
I would charge too. Let her know the other parents are staying.
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 07-19-2011
The 3 hours you will have them is no different really than kids who leave during a normal day to go to a sports lesson or whatever and the parent is still charged for the full day so I guess since you are the responsible party for these children then I would charge.

Tell the mom that you won't charge if she is the one who will be called when the kids need something and she agrees to take full responsibility for her kids during those 3 hours..... I'm kidding about that last part. I would totally charge. I think it is rude for the mom to even ask that you not charge when you are already going out of your way to help them out over the weekend as it is.
Meeko 02:01 PM 07-19-2011
How rude! She really has a nerve asking for free child care while you are willing to watch her kids on your son's birthday! Charge her! Just tell her that any time you are responsible for watching her child...no matter what they are doing.....you expect to be paid for it.

My concern is that the other parents are going to see you are taking care of kids on the weekends and feel THEY can ask you to tend on the weekends too. If you say no, they will feel like you are playing favorites and giving special favors..(which you are!) That may not go over too well.
daycare 02:03 PM 07-19-2011
Thanks for all of your responses.
I just talked to the mom and said unless she can provide supervision herself, I will be charging. Omg she then said well how about I just ask one of the other parents to watch them for me during the party. I told her that I would not allow for another parent to watch the kids on my property as it still falls back on me if the parent does not supervise them properly.
I then told her I felt that it was not going ti work out for this weekend for me To watch the kids, however she was still welcome to attend the bday party with them.
Ugh what a mess. I guess this is why this family is loaded they try to get everything for free...
Crazy8 02:07 PM 07-19-2011
I am going to go against everyone else and say, no if it was me I would not charge for those few hours of the party. If you weren't watching them for the day they would have come to the party anyway, correct? Unless this is a party where you REQUIRED all parents to stay and I am assuming you didn't I would deduct the few hours from the total. With our parties you always get a handful of parents who stay, but many leave. I am still supervising, feeding, etc. all of those children but am not charging them. Now, if those children weren't invited to the party originally then yes, I would charge for the entire day.

Honestly though I never would have agreed to watching them the day I was hosting a party.
cheerfuldom 02:08 PM 07-19-2011
how unbelievable! wow, that is a doozy. I am glad you said no. I can't believe she would have the guts to ask another daycare parent to watch her kid at your house during your child's bday party?!???!!! I am soooooo shocked!!!!
SandeeAR 07:07 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Thanks for all of your responses.
I just talked to the mom and said unless she can provide supervision herself, I will be charging. Omg she then said well how about I just ask one of the other parents to watch them for me during the party. I told her that I would not allow for another parent to watch the kids on my property as it still falls back on me if the parent does not supervise them properly.
I then told her I felt that it was not going ti work out for this weekend for me To watch the kids, however she was still welcome to attend the bday party with them.
Ugh what a mess. I guess this is why this family is loaded they try to get everything for free...
I'm on your side, I don't blame you at all. However, you might be on the out look for daycare replacements. Is she the type to pull her kids over this? Sounds like she wants a provider that she can push around.
Reply Up