Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About a Weird New Issue We are Having
Hunni Bee 08:04 PM 12-14-2011
Our PM snack is a USDA-approved complete meal, provided by our local food bank. We serve it from 3 pm to 4 pm. Every kid is served it.

The kitchen closes for the day at 4:30 pm. Most days, once the kitchen is broken down, we place the non-perishable food needed for the next day's breakfast out on the serving table.

When kids parents arrive, many of them are marching up to the kitchen asking for an apple, an orange, a milk, some crackers to take with them. People think "its just an orange or a few crackers", but that's less we have to go around the next day and its a problem to stop and fix 15 extra snacks for the road every day.

We really want this to stop. The kids have just eaten, they're not hungry, and we need those items for the next day. They just feel like they need to "get" something and if they're standing beside their mother, they won't be denied. And the parents just stand there staring at us like, go on, give it to him. A few parents just let their kids waltz up to the table and take what they want.

I always feel mean when I say, no you just ate. Or no, these are for breakfast. And plus, sometimes a tantrum follows. But I feel the parents should control the situation and not expect us to give their children something everyday, just because its there.

What can say that won't come off mean and stingy?
daycare 08:13 PM 12-14-2011
Make a huge sign
Food eaten now:
Milk $2.00
Fruit $3.00
Wait until breakfast FREE

Lol
cheerfuldom 08:18 PM 12-14-2011
Don't put the food out yet

OR put the food out but in a way that makes it unreachable to the parents

OR put the food out, with a sign stating that no food is served after 4pm and follow that up with a reminder to every parent in the daycare. There is nothing wrong with a firm "no". Perhaps many of the parents would be fine with it but just always go get a snack because they assume it is okay and have never been told otherwise.

It is that big of a deal to not put it out until the morning of? If it is just oranges or bags of crackers or whatever, does it save that much time putting it out the day before?
Hunni Bee 08:25 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Don't put the food out yet

OR put the food out but in a way that makes it unreachable to the parents

OR put the food out, with a sign stating that no food is served after 4pm and follow that up with a reminder to every parent in the daycare. There is nothing wrong with a firm "no". Perhaps many of the parents would be fine with it but just always go get a snack because they assume it is okay and have never been told otherwise.

It is that big of a deal to not put it out until the morning of? If it is just oranges or bags of crackers or whatever, does it save that much time putting it out the day before?
The reason its put out the day before is because the breakfast person is just that...she doesn't have access to the pantries or the deep freezers. Plus, it leaves less room for deviation from the menu or portion sizes, etc.

But we really don't have to do it til the last kid leaves though...and just say, there's no oranges or milk or whatever right now?
Breezy 08:45 PM 12-14-2011
Gosh is it that hard for the parent to have a snack waiting for their child in the car? What is with some parents these days?
Christian Mother 08:53 PM 12-14-2011
I always say "Out of Sight Out of Mind"...

Sometimes i have this problem and I say "no". Firm and I don't have a problem at all looking at the child and parent. My kids have last snack at 3pm and will be finished up by 3:15-30. After that it's put away or I forget and leave it on the table. It never fails a child as soon as the parent shows up wants another helping and I say nope, you just had snack. And I put it away. A parent has never looked at me after saying that like I was mean. When the parents are there it is up to them to take charge and sometimes you need to force them to do that. I simple look back at them with a smile indicating to the child that this is for tomorrows snack can be said and then you can look point blank at the parent to challenge you. Most likely they won't. Just keep saying the same thing. No, No, No....they clue in eventually.
Meyou 04:25 AM 12-15-2011
I think I would get a basket or something to cover the food and get it out of sight. I agree with "out of sight, out of mind".
Kaddidle Care 04:35 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I think I would get a basket or something to cover the food and get it out of sight. I agree with "out of sight, out of mind".
Yep, Covered basket or big box. If they ask what's in it - say it's a surprise for tomorrow. Done!
AnneCordelia 04:36 AM 12-15-2011
Can you drape clean tea towels over the food?

I'd have no problem saying, "Oh honey, that's breakfast for tomorrow. You can have it in the morning! You just had a snack." with a cheerful smile.
snbauser 05:34 AM 12-15-2011
Just say "No, that's for breakfast tomorrow." It isn't mean. And if the parents and kids hear it enough they will stop asking. My guess is like a pp said - they haven't been told no so they just assume it is okay and that is what it is there for.
squareone 06:16 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
"Oh honey, that's breakfast for tomorrow. You can have it in the morning! You just had a snack."
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Just say "No, that's for breakfast tomorrow." It isn't mean. And if the parents and kids hear it enough they will stop asking. My guess is like a pp said - they haven't been told no so they just assume it is okay and that is what it is there for.

I agree with this. I would also send home a letter.
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 12-15-2011
I often have children ask for a snack or drink before heading out (I know none of them NEED it, it is just a way to get some attention or whatever) but I always say with a smile,

"Now Allie, you know we only have food and drinks while sitting at the table. You will have to get something when you get home, sorry." (smile big )

I also have in my contract that not only can NO food/drink be brought in but NO food or drink is ever sent home either.
mismatchedsocks 09:07 AM 12-15-2011
I just would have the same sentence on repeat. "those are for breakfast tomorrow, I am sure dinner will be soon, have a great night"

I am sure that covering it or putting it out of sight would eliminate the questions, but if they are old enough to try to grab or want some, they can understand that it is for breakfast. They just keep getting stuff because they always have. If anything put a note on cart. DO NOT TAKE FOOD OFF THIS CART WITHOUT PERMISSION! parents will get it soon enough too.

On another note I had 2 parents who picked up at 5pm, tell me their child was hungry on the way home and when they got home. They wanted me to baggie up a snack to send with them. No way, i told them if they wanted their kids to eat on way home, they can leave a small snack here in cubby to take.

I serve small snack at 230ish ( water and some sort of cracker) then serve "dinner" at 415-445. This is usually a pb sandwich, fruit, carrots and milk. I started this because I had so many late pick ups, so now it is counted as dinner.
Ariana 09:29 AM 12-15-2011
I'd either post a note on everyone's cubby or write a letter to all the parents stating why food cannot be served at the end of the day. I would even site some hygiene reason such as kids haven't washed, food isn't washed and prepared and regulations about food prep having to be done by the server etc. Tell them snack is served in the afternoon and that is all you are licensed to serve for the monthly budget. Let them know that food after hours is for sale only.
Tags:food
Reply Up