Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Give 1099 For Rent Payments
Unregistered 01:54 PM 01-12-2013
If a 1099 is supposed to be issued for payments made for rent, but 1099s only have to be issued for business payments & not personal payments ... then do I send my landlord a 1099? Because I do deduct part of my rent for business obviously (the time/space portion) - so part of it is a business payment. I have not given him a 1099 in the past. But I was just reading the 1099 instructions, and it got me to thinking about that.

Thanks for your help!
Michael 02:05 PM 01-12-2013
More 1099 threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=1099
Unregistered 06:29 PM 01-12-2013
Thank you Michael - I could not find the answer to this question. And I was thinking also - what about a plumber? I paid a plumber over $1,000 last year for various projects - a hot water heater, replacing a toilet, and a couple of other things. It was paid from my personal account - but same as rent - part of it is deductible for my daycare. So do I send him a 1099?
TomCopeland 11:57 AM 01-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If a 1099 is supposed to be issued for payments made for rent, but 1099s only have to be issued for business payments & not personal payments ... then do I send my landlord a 1099? Because I do deduct part of my rent for business obviously (the time/space portion) - so part of it is a business payment. I have not given him a 1099 in the past. But I was just reading the 1099 instructions, and it got me to thinking about that.

Thanks for your help!
When you pay a company to do work for you (plumbing, lawn maintenance, etc.) you don't issue a Form 1099. If you pay an individual to do work for your business and you pay the person more than $600, you should issue a Form 1099. If you write the rent check to an individual person, issue a Form 1099. If you write the rent check to a company, don't.

Join me for a webinar “2012 Tax Changes: How to Avoid Mistakes on Your Tax Return” Tuesday, February 12th at 8:30-10:00pm Eastern Time. The cost is $25 (100% tax deductible!). To register: http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Unregistered 01:50 PM 01-14-2013
Thank you, I understand that part of it but let me clarify what I was trying to ask in my original post. In the instructions for Form 1099-MISC, it says "Report on Form 1099-MISC only when payments are made in the course of your trade or business. Personal payments are not reportable."

So ... when I pay my landlord - an individual - for rent, am I making a personal payment, or am I making a payment for my trade/business which would require a 1099 - because I WILL be using my rent payments as expense deductions on my tax return (the time/space percentage portion of my rent payment on Form 8829).

Thank you !
TomCopeland 01:36 PM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you, I understand that part of it but let me clarify what I was trying to ask in my original post. In the instructions for Form 1099-MISC, it says "Report on Form 1099-MISC only when payments are made in the course of your trade or business. Personal payments are not reportable."

So ... when I pay my landlord - an individual - for rent, am I making a personal payment, or am I making a payment for my trade/business which would require a 1099 - because I WILL be using my rent payments as expense deductions on my tax return (the time/space percentage portion of my rent payment on Form 8829).

Thank you !
Ok. Your rent payment is both business and personal. So, for purposes of Form 1099, consider it business.
Tags:1099
Reply Up