Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Enters Your Daycare?!?!!
Unregistered 04:16 AM 12-17-2013
Have you ever thought about the fact that we allow all sorts of strangers enter our home/daycare? People we have never met, do not know anything about, when they call to ask about daycare, we say, 'Come on over'!

A couple of years ago, I moved to a new area. In my new area, I have interviewed about 10 ex-cons! Now, of course, I had no idea that they had been in prison before I invited them over for an interview. But then, during the interview, some of them have just bold-faced announced that they have been in jail. Others, I just get a strange feeling about and after the interview, have researched them and found out that they have been in jail! One had been in jail for armed forced entry robbery of a house!!! I had never thought about it before I moved to this area, but we are inviting complete strangers of all walks of life into our home on a constant basis! That's scary!
Laurel 04:23 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have you ever thought about the fact that we allow all sorts of strangers enter our home/daycare? People we have never met, do not know anything about, when they call to ask about daycare, we say, 'Come on over'!

A couple of years ago, I moved to a new area. In my new area, I have interviewed about 10 ex-cons! Now, of course, I had no idea that they had been in prison before I invited them over for an interview. But then, during the interview, some of them have just bold-faced announced that they have been in jail. Others, I just get a strange feeling about and after the interview, have researched them and found out that they have been in jail! One had been in jail for armed forced entry robbery of a house!!! I had never thought about it before I moved to this area, but we are inviting complete strangers of all walks of life into our home on a constant basis! That's scary!
That is one reason why I never do an interview with the daycare children present. I also have my husband or adult son with me when people come in the evening. Then, if they seem okay, I will let them come another day to see me 'in action' but only one or two has ever taken me up on that.

I've often thought they we have a background check but we don't really know who we are inviting into our home. I've never had any problems though.

I had one who sounded weird on the phone. He said he was a dad and wanted to come immediately. I explained that I don't do that. He said "Well my wife will be with me." I explained my policy that I do not let people I don't know in around the children and he would probably appreciate that if his child were here. He got snippy and kept insisting so I finally just had to hang up.

Laurel
Unregistered 05:09 AM 12-17-2013
I have a bit of an advantage there. I worked at the county jail for nearly 20 years, and it's a small county. I'm pretty much on a first name basis with most of the criminals around here. If one came to my door, they know that I'd laugh and tell them that they know I'm not letting them in. ;-) It has never happened, but it could I suppose.
Maria2013 05:12 AM 12-17-2013
that is a risk we take with everyone we let in, cause no matter what we do, we can never know for sure the people we trust wont someday "snap"
daycarediva 05:25 AM 12-17-2013
Right now I have a former drug addict dcp (like, living on the streets, addicted to several illegal drugs, will be on medication and in treatment for life).

I try very hard not to judge. Dcm is an excellent client and excellent parent. I probably would not have taken them on had I known that from the start, though.

Just like I don't want to be judged for my past. People change.
Great Beginnings 05:37 AM 12-17-2013
I'm very fortunate that I live in a small town in which I grew up in. Everyone that calls I know from around town and those new to town it doesn't take much to find out about lol!
Unregistered 05:53 AM 12-17-2013
I'm not judging per say. But something about having someone who you don't know that has been convicted and served time for especially very violent crimes makes me quite nervous about allowing them in my home, around my personal family and pets, and around other daycare children. Then, if there's a problem and you have to terminate them, you would be concerned about them retaliating in a violent manner.
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 12-17-2013
Like ANYTHING in life, there are risks attached.

If the risks of allowing strangers into your home is so upsetting or unnerving that it's not something you can deal with, then child care is definitely not the right career choice for you.

We do what we can. You take the proper safety measures to make sure you are doing everything within your power.

Worrying about the things you have no control over is like shoveling while it's still snowing.
Meeko 06:35 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
That is one reason why I never do an interview with the daycare children present. I also have my husband or adult son with me when people come in the evening. Then, if they seem okay, I will let them come another day to see me 'in action' but only one or two has ever taken me up on that.

I've often thought they we have a background check but we don't really know who we are inviting into our home. I've never had any problems though.

I had one who sounded weird on the phone. He said he was a dad and wanted to come immediately. I explained that I don't do that. He said "Well my wife will be with me." I explained my policy that I do not let people I don't know in around the children and he would probably appreciate that if his child were here. He got snippy and kept insisting so I finally just had to hang up.

Laurel
Amen to this.

I NEVER let a stranger anywhere NEAR my daycare kids. We are a virtual smorgasbord for a sex offender. *Make an appointment at a daycare that will allow daytime visits and look at kids to your hearts content*!!!

(I speak from experience. Once had a daycare dad who like to frequently come and "visit". I was all for it back then....thought it was great for parents to drop by and spend time with my group. I started thinking he was having waaay too much fun with the little girls here. Found out he had done time for rape of a child and was abusing his daughter who was in my care)

Never again.

Because of this, I don't even allow enrolled parents to be near a child who isn't their own. If they want to come and see their child, they spend time with them in another room. If they wanted to see the play area (which is their right according to regs), I would move all the other kids first. They have a right to see where THEIR child plays....NOT a right to see the other kids.

Sounds paranoid, I know. I learned the hard way that you can NEVER be too cautious. Works fine for me and my DCP's are happy knowing their children will never come in contact with a stranger while in my care.
crazydaycarelady 07:03 AM 12-17-2013
I schedule interviews when my assistant will be here. I also keep a can of pepper spray on a high shelf in the dc.

I once had a dc lady in for an interview when my hubby walked into the room in his PO uniform. The lady turned about 8 shades of red. She promptly left and I never heard from her again! LOL

But I also had a man show up at my door wanting to come in. He didn't even have any kids with him, he said his son as in the car. Umm.....NO!
caregiver 07:55 AM 12-17-2013
I too agree that taking a risk is part of the job,as it is with many other jobs also, but being careful about who you let into your home is very important also.
I never do interviews during daycare hours as I don't want strangers around the kids that I know nothing about. Also my daycare parents have voiced their opinions about not wanting strangers here while their kids are here. I have to respect their wishes.
I only do interviews in the evenings when my Husband is here. My husband also will give me his feedback on whether the parents and child I am interviewing would be a good fit and I really respect his opinion.

I also will check parents out online before the interview if I can so I know a little about them before I let them into my home.

I always say, use your first gutt feeling when talking to them on the phone first and always use your gutt feeling when they come for the interview. That usually is what makes or breaks what you do.
Unregistered 08:19 AM 12-17-2013
Lately I have holding the first interview at the local Starbucks,I started doing this after having many interviews at home with people that I wouldn't care to have a business relationship with.I then make a decision as to whether I'm interested in a second interview which is then held at home, and sometimes I don't even do that until the 3rd interview. I'm in S. Ca....
Laurel 08:40 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Amen to this.

I NEVER let a stranger anywhere NEAR my daycare kids. We are a virtual smorgasbord for a sex offender. *Make an appointment at a daycare that will allow daytime visits and look at kids to your hearts content*!!!

(I speak from experience. Once had a daycare dad who like to frequently come and "visit". I was all for it back then....thought it was great for parents to drop by and spend time with my group. I started thinking he was having waaay too much fun with the little girls here. Found out he had done time for rape of a child and was abusing his daughter who was in my care)

Never again.

Because of this, I don't even allow enrolled parents to be near a child who isn't their own. If they want to come and see their child, they spend time with them in another room. If they wanted to see the play area (which is their right according to regs), I would move all the other kids first. They have a right to see where THEIR child plays....NOT a right to see the other kids.

Sounds paranoid, I know. I learned the hard way that you can NEVER be too cautious. Works fine for me and my DCP's are happy knowing their children will never come in contact with a stranger while in my care.
Oh wow, disgusting.

Laurel
Laurel 08:44 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I schedule interviews when my assistant will be here. I also keep a can of pepper spray on a high shelf in the dc.

I once had a dc lady in for an interview when my hubby walked into the room in his PO uniform. The lady turned about 8 shades of red. She promptly left and I never heard from her again! LOL

But I also had a man show up at my door wanting to come in. He didn't even have any kids with him, he said his son as in the car. Umm.....NO!
Do you have a sign for your daycare in front of your house? We are not allowed per zoning laws but I wouldn't anyway. However, I have had a few people come to the door when they found my info online. Some of us providers objected to having our addresses online but were told it was public record.

Yeah right, his son was in the car! : Same as my guy on the phone that said he would bring his wife. I asked if I could talk to his wife and wouldn't you know she wasn't available to talk.

One's gut is pretty accurate I've found.

Laurel
TwinKristi 10:09 AM 12-17-2013
I've never had a man here for an interview without their wife and usually on a 2nd interview. I get that risk, I really do. I wouldn't just allow anyone in my house, especially during daycare hours. But I usually do my own handy work prior to interviews and also live in the same small town I grew up in and know a lot of people. I have always had moms and their babies come here and they're usually professional moms. I got a weird vibe from one on the phone and I would like to get her last name and do my own search on her. I'm pretty selective on who I allow here. If I had a father wanting to interview I would have my dh here and do it after hours.
Meeko 11:51 AM 12-17-2013
Talking of gut feeling......

I had these two kids enrolled in my daycare for a few weeks. The dad was WEIRD. Now I know why!! I was so surprised one day to see his face in the local paper.

I enrolled him for on/off weeks (his wife had them..then him.) I found him so creepy that I termed after a few weeks. He went to another provider and she too termed quickly because she didn't "feel " right about him. That was also back in the day when I was willing to enroll anyone and fell for every sob story (he would tell me how unstable his wife was!!!!!!!!!!)

http://www.4utah.com/mostpopular/sto...SEWrtPSTnpt-pg
melilley 11:59 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Do you have a sign for your daycare in front of your house? We are not allowed per zoning laws but I wouldn't anyway. However, I have had a few people come to the door when they found my info online. Some of us providers objected to having our addresses online but were told it was public record.

Yeah right, his son was in the car! : Same as my guy on the phone that said he would bring his wife. I asked if I could talk to his wife and wouldn't you know she wasn't available to talk.

One's gut is pretty accurate I've found.

Laurel
I haven't had anyone come to my door that found my address, but I HATE that it is public record online! But I guess one could just go to an address finder website and it's usually on there.
littlemissmuffet 12:03 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have you ever thought about the fact that we allow all sorts of strangers enter our home/daycare?
Have you ever thought about the fact that we are complete strangers to the daycare parents who trust us with their children? Sure, over time we get to know our DCFs and they get to know us... but none of us REALLY know eachother, especially the first while a child starts coming to us....
Meeko 12:13 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Have you ever thought about the fact that we are complete strangers to the daycare parents who trust us with their children? Sure, over time we get to know our DCFs and they get to know us... but none of us REALLY know eachother, especially the first while a child starts coming to us....
At least they can check licensing records, get references, see your home etc. I tell prospective clients that I will be doing a background check on them. Had I done one on my "rapist father client" I would have seen him on the sex offenders registry. They count on us NOT checking into them. Even his poor wife had no idea.....until their daughter told on him and his past came to light.
littlemissmuffet 12:18 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
At least they can check licensing records, get references, see your home etc. I tell prospective clients that I will be doing a background check on them.
This is true for some... though, not for providers like me who are legally unlicensed. It's not hard to fake references either, unfortunately. But I do get what you're saying.

I think there can be a risk on either side - but it's something that both providers and parents alike take when it comes to daycare - either running one or using one.
Lyss 12:51 PM 12-17-2013
I've got a big loud (but realistically harmless) dog so I at least feel that would deter anyone casing the house. I also never do interviews with my DD or and DCKs present. I guess I never really thought interviews in that way, I don't really want to live my life worrying about the what ifs. I do what I can to stay safe and don't dwell on the rest (not that's what anyone here is doing just my opinion on life ) Plus in all honesty I'm more concerned about the people already in my life, it seems like crimes are more often from people you know than strangers.

I have a DCD who has been to jail, trespassing & breaking and entering from his "activism" days in college. Looks bad on a background check I guess but I never would have assumed he has a record of any sort! Such a great dad and great DCP! I love this family.
momofsix 01:36 PM 12-17-2013
So far in my over 21 years of doing childcare every single one of the families I've had has been either someone I already know or referred to me by people I know and trust. I've never ever had to take a complete stranger. I absolutely love it this way! I think it makes me AND the parents more comfortable
I know that my situation is definitely not possible most of the time though.
Reply Up