Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spot Held - Right Thing To Do
Unregistered 12:08 PM 12-10-2014
Have a family - held spot for newborn now parents want to wait months for it to come and have a family member watch. I do watch the sibling. Is it fair to keep the spot open for them or do I fill it.
TheGoodLife 12:27 PM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have a family - held spot for newborn now parents want to wait months for it to come and have a family member watch. I do watch the sibling. Is it fair to keep the spot open for them or do I fill it.
What is "fair" is to do right by your business Is it "fair" for them to ask you to lose money for months just so they can save money? I say do what you need to do- if it was me, I don't hold spots unpaid and got royally messed with (unintentially) when I first opened by holding a newborn spot for 5 months, just to have them pull out right before so mom could keep them home with her (I had the sibling 1 day a week at the time) I'd fill any open spot I had, but I only have 3 to begin with!
Unregistered 12:35 PM 12-10-2014
Thank you!! Exactly my thoughts just needed to make sure I did the right thing by saying I would fill the spot come time with another newborn.
craftymissbeth 12:55 PM 12-10-2014
I agree with PP.

I do not hold spots ever for any reason... for this reason. I just fill my spots as soon as I get a client ready to pay me. I can't afford to have empty spots waiting for a specific client that may or may not end up coming here.
Second Home 01:32 PM 12-10-2014
I do not hold spots at all . Maybe tell them that you will give them first choice to take the spot and pay for it if you gett another call for the infant spot . If they do not pay for the spot then you will fill it . Be prepared to loose the sibling as they may not be happy if you do not hold the spot for them .
daycare 01:57 PM 12-10-2014
I do hold spots, but only for a maximum of two weeks and with pay. BUT I do mine differently.

example, I have a family that gave 30 day notice. as soon as I get that notice, I will start to hit up people on my wait list. I hold a few interviews and then I pick someone. So my spot is currently filled at the time, but I make the new family coming in that wants to take the spot pay a deposit fee of $200.00 to hold the spot for them. After the two week trial and they decide to enroll, I will credit back half of the deposit fee paid. If the new family does not start on their start date, then I don't refund any of the money and fill the spot with a back up on my list.

I do not hold spots OPEN for anyone ever............
Reply Up