Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Almost 5 Year Old Tantrum Daily
Unregistered 08:00 AM 07-28-2015
My daughter has started in the last month throwing tantrums or showing a lot of anger. To give you a little insight. Today she wanted to push stroller home from the park and she usually is the one that gets to but today big brother wanted a turn and hasn't got a turn before and he ask first so I allowed him to do so. She immediately started to become upset and kick her shoes off. Then she decided to leave her shoes and walk. I carry her shoes and allow her to walk bare foot while the whole time I'm holding her hand she is pulling back and trying to refuse to walk. She continues this behavior all the way home. Daycare child goes in to wash her hands while I get the stroller inside and my daughter goes and grabs the hand soap and makes a run for it. I chase her down and she unwillingly walks back inside. She then goes and starts pulling laminated pictures off the wall. I begin washing hands of other children and she calms down. This is a typical anger outburst for her and it is usually brought on quickly by not getting a toy she wants or to do something she wants to do. She usually has 1 or 2 of the outburst a day. Alot of times there is kicking hitting and throwing. I usually sit with her when these happen if I can and hold her in a hug facing away from me until she calms down. I am at a loss. I have tried incorporating one on one time during daycare, after daycare. I try to involve her in my curriculum and menu planning. She is really a sweet and helpful girl but when these outburst happen I don't know how to help her because she feels unreachable during those fits. Any advice on how I can help her would be great. Thank you
auntymimi 08:25 AM 07-28-2015
Seriously. My daughter is also 5 and I have a 2 year old as well, and I've been practicing the 'no' with them for the last 5 years. I NEED my kids to behave, otherwise we would never be able to go anywhere. BECAUSE my kids behave, the dck tipically fall in line as well. Begin by taking your daughter to "trigger" places and putting her in situations where she is likely to misbehave. (without dck of course, as she WILL test you) Explain to her your expectations beforehand and consequences if she should choose to misbehave, then you must follow through. This could mean leaving a restaurant, cart full of groceries, the park, ect. Whatever it is, you MUST do exactly as you say. After practicing this daily, she Will learn that mom means business, I promise.
Play Care 08:32 AM 07-28-2015
Has she been evaluated? I have never witnessed that kind of behavior in a typical 5 year old. Way too old for that, IMO, unless there are some disabilities coming into play.

At my house my kid would be in their room away from me when they behaved that way. No holding, nothing. And while frankly I've never spanked my kids - don't even really believe it in - I'd probably give her a good spanking for pulling that at the park.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
Seriously. My daughter is also 5 and I have a 2 year old as well, and I've been practicing the 'no' with them for the last 5 years. I NEED my kids to behave, otherwise we would never be able to go anywhere. BECAUSE my kids behave, the dck tipically fall in line as well. Begin by taking your daughter to "trigger" places and putting her in situations where she is likely to misbehave. (without dck of course, as she WILL test you) Explain to her your expectations beforehand and consequences if she should choose to misbehave, then you must follow through. This could mean leaving a restaurant, cart full of groceries, the park, ect. Whatever it is, you MUST do exactly as you say. After practicing this daily, she Will learn that mom means business, I promise.
She will be 5 in a couple months. She really doesn't understand I mean business because I haven't laid down the law enough. She is by far my most stubborn and difficult child. My daycare children do tend to follow her lead which is making everything more and more difficult. Sometimes I wander if I am doing my daycare parents a disservice by even being a provider while she is going through this. Really doubting myself:/
mamamanda 08:56 AM 07-28-2015
My son throws a lot of angry tantrums as well. A few things have worked for us. First of all, I've found a common trigger. He always tantrums all day long when a particular dcb is here. Dcb I very dominant personality and fairly aggressive & Ds is intimidated by him. 3 of my other dcks have problems with him as well. #1 dcb will be moving on as I've tried many ways to solve this without success. #2 On days he's here in the meantime I am proactive with Ds, offer extra opportunities to be away from the group, separate the 2 when possible, talk with Ds giving possible methods of dealing with dcb's antics, etc. Can you find any common triggers & address them?
Second, I created a calm down spot for him filled with books & away from the group. Most of the time I don't even say anything. When he starts to tantrum I just pick him up, carry him to his spot, & remind him that he can rejoin as soon as he feels calm & in control of himself again. Usually only takes about 3 minutes, but sometimes he will hang out as long as 20 minutes. He even takes himself to his spot to calm down if he feels over stimulated. I think the key is teaching them positive outlets & ways to calm themselves. Hope that helps.
auntymimi 08:59 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
She will be 5 in a couple months. She really doesn't understand I mean business because I haven't laid down the law enough. She is by far my most stubborn and difficult child. My daycare children do tend to follow her lead which is making everything more and more difficult. Sometimes I wander if I am doing my daycare parents a disservice by even being a provider while she is going through this. Really doubting myself:/
Practice makes perfect. And she DOES understand. She understands that she runs the show, time to try a new tune. It will be painfull, but it can be done. My 2 year old wouldn't pull that crap.
Unregistered 09:02 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Has she been evaluated? I have never witnessed that kind of behavior in a typical 5 year old. Way too old for that, IMO, unless there are some disabilities coming into play.

At my house my kid would be in their room away from me when they behaved that way. No holding, nothing. And while frankly I've never spanked my kids - don't even really believe it in - I'd probably give her a good spanking for pulling that at the park.
She hasn't had any evaluations. My son is mildly autistic but she shows no signs of anything abnormal. She is my stubborn child.i have to hold her because during daycare she isn't allowed upstairs so I have to hold her to keep her from hurting others. I have been a bad parent to in that giving her what she wants is easier than saying no so I have been feeding it all along. I am really struggling. I am ashamed to admit it but we have spanked her...after daycare hours of course but she has been spanked before and she will just laugh at you. When she has these Outburst I do become very upset and so I'm not calm and I think she feeds on that too. I feel like I have really messed up with discipline her and my husband and I have no idea how to fix it.
rosieteddy 09:06 AM 07-28-2015
I had good luck with a good chart.I told my child that if he had a good day we would check off at the end of the week a special trip (library ,park whatever you decide to gether is special,The chart was in his room and daycare kids new nothing about it.I explained ahead of time that bad behavior was not acceptable and I made a safe corner with pillows and a few books in it. If child felt out of control they went to the calm down spot.There also was a "naughty spot a bottom step or chair away from the others.If the misbehaving continued then they were sent there with little interaction from me.Spot now until you calm down.I did not want everyone to start bisbehaving for attention. Good luck.
Unregistered 09:08 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
My son throws a lot of angry tantrums as well. A few things have worked for us. First of all, I've found a common trigger. He always tantrums all day long when a particular dcb is here. Dcb I very dominant personality and fairly aggressive & Ds is intimidated by him. 3 of my other dcks have problems with him as well. #1 dcb will be moving on as I've tried many ways to solve this without success. #2 On days he's here in the meantime I am proactive with Ds, offer extra opportunities to be away from the group, separate the 2 when possible, talk with Ds giving possible methods of dealing with dcb's antics, etc. Can you find any common triggers & address them?
Second, I created a calm down spot for him filled with books & away from the group. Most of the time I don't even say anything. When he starts to tantrum I just pick him up, carry him to his spot, & remind him that he can rejoin as soon as he feels calm & in control of himself again. Usually only takes about 3 minutes, but sometimes he will hang out as long as 20 minutes. He even takes himself to his spot to calm down if he feels over stimulated. I think the key is teaching them positive outlets & ways to calm themselves. Hope that helps.
The only trigger I have found is just simply she doesn't get to do or have what she wants and to me that means spoiled rotten. I thought about a calm down spot but when she gets in those moments she would throw the books and anything near her. Anything to get someone upset. I have tried to talk and calm her during these moments but it's like she is so far past upset she doesn't hear me. I will try finding a spot for her though and maybe just have a couple stuffed animals. Thank you.
Unregistered 09:09 AM 07-28-2015
Practice makes perfect. And she DOES understand. She understands that she runs the show, time to try a new tune. It will be painfull, but it can be done. My 2 year old wouldn't pull that crap.
You are right. I am the one that is not doing what I need to do. Time to turn a new leaf. Thank you for your advice and input.
auntymimi 09:09 AM 07-28-2015
She hasn't had any evaluations. My son is mildly autistic but she shows no signs of anything abnormal. She is my stubborn child.i have to hold her because during daycare she isn't allowed upstairs so I have to hold her to keep her from hurting others. I have been a bad parent to in that giving her what she wants is easier than saying no so I have been feeding it all along. I am really struggling. I am ashamed to admit it but we have spanked her...after daycare hours of course but she has been spanked before and she will just laugh at you. When she has these Outburst I do become very upset and so I'm not calm and I think she feeds on that too. I feel like I have really messed up with discipline her and my husband and I have no idea how to fix it.
You ARE NOT a bad parent. You care enough to see that it's a problem, and are trying your best to rectify the situation in a gentle and loving way. Those are the markers of a very good parent. Simply practice follow through in everyday living. It will be hard. Make sure she knows the rules, your expectations and the consequences of her actions and follow through every single time. It's a PITA but it's so worth it. Giving her warnings on transitions too. Lots of praise for correct behavior. It'll work, I promise.
Unregistered 09:13 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I had good luck with a good chart.I told my child that if he had a good day we would check off at the end of the week a special trip (library ,park whatever you decide to gether is special,The chart was in his room and daycare kids new nothing about it.I explained ahead of time that bad behavior was not acceptable and I made a safe corner with pillows and a few books in it. If child felt out of control they went to the calm down spot.There also was a "naughty spot a bottom step or chair away from the others.If the misbehaving continued then they were sent there with little interaction from me.Spot now until you calm down.I did not want everyone to start bisbehaving for attention. Good luck.
Thank you for your advice. We haven't done a written chart but this past week if she behaved she got to sleep in the tent in the living room which is a huge exciting deal for her but she lost getting to do so pretty quickly and we stuck to it. Even in throwing the tantrum we would remind her if she kept on she lost the tent but she didn't care.
Unregistered 09:24 AM 07-28-2015
You ARE NOT a bad parent. You care enough to see that it's a problem, and are trying your best to rectify the situation in a gentle and loving way. Those are the markers of a very good parent. Simply practice follow through in everyday living. It will be hard. Make sure she knows the rules, your expectations and the consequences of her actions and follow through every single time. It's a PITA but it's so worth it. Giving her warnings on transitions too. Lots of praise for correct behavior. It'll work, I promise.
Thank you your words means a lot.. I am trying so hard but your right it is very difficult and I tend to not be consistent when it gets difficult so I know I just need to work on it and be patient.
Rockgirl 09:33 AM 07-28-2015
Thank you your words means a lot.. I am trying so hard but your right it is very difficult and I tend to not be consistent when it gets difficult so I know I just need to work on it and be patient.
You can do it!

One example is the tantrum while out walking....I would not have carried her shoes for her. She kicked the shoes off, therefore she deals with them. Logical consequences. Also, I'd have sat the kids down outside with a Popsicle after returning home....the ones who cooperated, that is.
rosieteddy 09:40 AM 07-28-2015
Keep trying its hard when we care for other kids.The guilt can be tough to handle.I ran my daycare for almost 30 yrs,my children grew up with it.I remember thinking maybe I should close and go to work,but then realized that then they would have to go somewhere else.I see it now with my grandsons ,they have before school care ,after school care if there sick its hard for their Mom to stay home ect.Nothing is perfect figure out what you need your child to do.How would you handle this from a dcg?Short of terming .We cant term our own. Discuss with your child what you expect when she is in a good mood. Then hard as it is you need to stick to it.Good luck ,hang in there you know what is best for your child.
mamamanda 09:56 AM 07-28-2015
The only trigger I have found is just simply she doesn't get to do or have what she wants and to me that means spoiled rotten. I thought about a calm down spot but when she gets in those moments she would throw the books and anything near her. Anything to get someone upset. I have tried to talk and calm her during these moments but it's like she is so far past upset she doesn't hear me. I will try finding a spot for her though and maybe just have a couple stuffed animals. Thank you.
Its ok I she throws things the first few times. Stay calm & don't engage. When she is calm again she gets to clean it all back up & she doesn't move on until she does. We went through that too. I actually use a pack n play for Ds. It contains the books/stuffed animals & he knows exactly where to put it all should he throw it out. She will have to learn the rules, but as I said we went from 4-6 big tantrums a day (sometimes more) to him taking himself there when he feels upset BEFORE the tantrum. It just takes consistency & you have to stay calm. I found very quickly that if I became upset he just got worse. She will feed off of your calm. You can do this One fit at a time.
Heidi 10:05 AM 07-28-2015
First...with the tantrums, she is getting a pay off. You are holding her, talking to her, etc.

Find her a spot to tantrum where she can't hurt anything or anyone. Then, walk away. If she comes out, put her back, walk away. It may take 100 times the first time, but DONT TALK. No matter what she does, don't talk to her or give her any attention for it. THAT is going to be hard! Personally, I would clear everything but a mattress and bedding out of her room and put her there, but that may not be feasible.

The holding, talking to her, etc is feeding her. Learn to ignore!

Now..a trap I noticed with a 5 year old that I used to have here. He would tantrum, and his parents didn't give in. But, AFTER the tantrum, he would become sweet, and then they would say something like "oh, since you are asking nicely...." It completely reinforced the tantrums.

If she had refused to walk, because she's 5 and she's my own child, I would honestly have just kept walking. I would stay in ear shot (hey...she's screaming, it's not hard), and just ignored her. I'd plan for that next time, so bring a snack along and sit down with the kids and have a snack and story along the way while you wait for her to catch up. Obviously, you're not going to leave her miles behind...just enough to make her WANT to come. Of course, I don't know your particular neighborhood and what hazards there are, but at 5, my kids walked to school, so for me, I'd consider it safe to walk away.

I think you're a wonderful parent in that you recognize the issue and are willing to find solutions. I will warn you, though, that you need to handle it now. In a few years, she will only be stronger and smarter, and it won't get better on it's own.
mamamanda 10:07 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
First...with the tantrums, she is getting a pay off. You are holding her, talking to her, etc.

Find her a spot to tantrum where she can't hurt anything or anyone. Then, walk away. If she comes out, put her back, walk away. It may take 100 times the first time, but DONT TALK. No matter what she does, don't talk to her or give her any attention for it. THAT is going to be hard! Personally, I would clear everything but a mattress and bedding out of her room and put her there, but that may not be feasible.

Now..a trap I noticed with a 5 year old that I used to have here. He would tantrum, and his parents didn't give in. But, AFTER the tantrum, he would become sweet, and then they would say something like "oh, since you are asking nicely...." It completely reinforced the tantrums.

If she had refused to walk, because she's 5 and she's my own child, I would honestly have just kept walking. I would stay in ear shot (hey...she's screaming, it's not hard), and just ignored her. I'd plan for that next time, so bring a snack along and sit down with the kids and have a snack and story along the way while you wait for her to catch up. Obviously, you're not going to leave her miles behind...just enough to make her WANT to come. Of course, I don't know your particular neighborhood and what hazards there are, but at 5, my kids walked to school, so for me, I'd consider it safe to walk away.

I think you're a wonderful parent in that you recognize the issue and are willing to find solutions. I will warn you, though, that you need to handle it now. In a few years, she will only be stronger and smarter, and it won't get better on it's own.

Play Care 10:12 AM 07-28-2015

This is what I meant to say except I was crabby with the heat
Bookworm 11:01 AM 07-28-2015
Google Dr. John Rosemond. He's a child psychologist and has some amazing ideas on stopping tantrums.
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
Google Dr. John Rosemond. He's a child psychologist and has some amazing ideas on stopping tantrums.

Wish he was required reading for all my potential clients!
Peaches 12:24 PM 07-28-2015
Oh my God this is my 4 year old son to a T. I know your frustration. I have a hard time remaining calm with him ( not a problem I have with the other kids) and I know that is something I need to work on.
Unregistered 01:13 PM 07-28-2015
Find whatever she loves and take it away until she can behave. She's 5 for goodness sake.
e.j. 03:03 PM 07-28-2015
It may be that you could do some things differently to help your dd behave better like not giving in to her just because it's easier but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that she could benefit from an evaluation. You say she "shows no signs of anything abnormal" but some of the behaviors you've described seem off to me for a girl her age. Since her brother has a diagnosis of Autism, she is at higher risk for having it, too. Girls can present differently than boys.
If you haven't talked with her pediatrician about it, I'd start there and if nothing else, have her evaluated just to rule Autism out.
AngiesCareXYZ 08:04 PM 07-28-2015
I did not have the time to read all of the posts. So I am not sure if my imput has been ...imputed yet. In all my years of experience with children and mentally ill young adults; I have had the most luck with the below actions.

Children have fairly short attention spans for things that they are not "into". I have the memory of a non elephant person.... Or I can't remember crap....ever. So I create reminders for myself. Like, making a pen dot on the back of my hand to remind myself that dck needs to be praised constantly.
Step 1. Everytime I look at my hand I see this reminder and I immediately study the dck to see if I can praise for something. It can be something completely insignificant and way above that childs skill level. (But you just want to praise at this point) Warning: All dck will want praising too.
Step 2. At the end of the day. Ask your daughter if she liked all of the praising? If she says yes, ask her why? Did it make her feel good? Did it make her feel special? Did it make her feel powerful in the daycare? By asking these question, you are getting her involved and owning her behaviors without her actually realising it. After you ask her these questions, ask her if she would like you to continue doing this? If she says yes, Ask her what she needs to do to get the praises. Have her list some things that she can do in the daycare that will allow for praise. If she says no, then say okay. Smile at her lovingly and stop the conversation. You are respecting her wishes at this point. (Most children will come to you and ask for that same praise again). When they do, go to step 3.
Step 3. Set expectations. Mine are Friendly, Safe and respectful. **If you think about it, these 3 areas fit into every situation.** Go over the expectations with her. Do some charades with her to show what each expectation looks like. (This is what we did in the daycare with all of the children). The next day, Introduce your expectations to the dck's. Post it on the wall so that all can see. Play charades with all of them. Tell the children that you need there help to make sure that everyone is RESPECTING the expectation wall. Send an email to all parents to let them know about the new expectation wall. Now, praise constantly and remind of the expectations wall when needed. The consequences for repeat offenders of the expectation wall is being sent to the quiet area with NO attention. This applies to all children. Let them scream kick what ever. Don't single her behavior out from the other children.
I spank my own children when they need a spanking. I hug them when they need a hug. I yell at them when they need to be yelled at. I am not a bad parent because I yell or spank. I love my children more than the air I breath. That is why I do whatever I feel is needed at that particular moment. I give myself a quiet time if I need it too. My headphone and pandora are my quiet time. Being a parent is a tough job. A child that does not respect their parents will most likely not respect anyone. You are a bad parent if you do nothing. You are doing something.
spedmommy4 09:13 PM 07-28-2015

. This is some great advice. Before I left the school district, part of my job was to coach parents in how to handle really challenging behavior. This is the advice I would have given.

Your little miss is getting a lot of attention every time you engage her over the behavior so it all needs to stop, cold turkey. She's 5, so tell her your plan in advance.

These are the rules.
If you break them, this will happen.
If you get angry, you can't yell or hit but you can do x,y, z. (Better if she picks)
I will not talk to you when your angry.
You can completely ignore her as long as she is not physically hurting anyone or anything significant.
You actively ignore for attempts to hit. (Move her but no talking and no eye contact)

I will add that the behavior often gets worse before it gets better. It takes a little bit of time to create new habits.
Unregistered 03:05 AM 07-29-2015
I know most of you won't agree but her bottom needs the leather belt to it every time she has a tantrum followed by the rest of the day in her room alone. She needs to learn that tantrum will get her something unpleasant not holding time and attention.
spedmommy4 06:00 AM 07-29-2015
I know most of you won't agree but her bottom needs the leather belt to it every time she has a tantrum followed by the rest of the day in her room alone. She needs to learn that tantrum will get her something unpleasant not holding time and attention.
In most states, what you just suggested would get this woman's child taken from her and her professional childcare license revoked. While spanking is still legal in most states, using any object to spank is not. Further, the word discipline means teach. There have been countless studies that show that physical discipline is ineffective at best, and has serious long term negative effects at worst.

And yes, I did get "old school spankings." I distinctly remember that it did not curb my behavior but I did get really good and not getting caught.
Heidi 06:22 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
In most states, what you just suggested would get this woman's child taken from her and her professional childcare license revoked. While spanking is still legal in most states, using any object to spank is not. Further, the word discipline means teach. There have been countless studies that show that physical discipline is ineffective at best, and has serious long term negative effects at worst.

And yes, I did get "old school spankings." I distinctly remember that it did not curb my behavior but I did get really good and not getting caught.
I've "spanked" each of my children (4-all grown) a handful of times. I mean, in the first 10 years of their lives, they "got it" (with my hand, not an object) less than 5 times. Usually, it was a single swat when the line what just plain crossed. Honestly, I could probably have punctuated my point another way, but sometimes you don't have time to plan.

I've noticed over the years that people who spank regularly net children that are very good at avoiding it..not getting caught. No child really every logic's out "well, if I do this, I'll get a spanking, so I shouldn't do it".
Reply Up