Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Always at "Max"
Unregistered 11:11 AM 06-05-2013
Good afternoon! I appreciate the ability to post as unregistered!

I am a student/about to move to PT only hours and use a regular daycare at rather odd times. My son has been at this facility from 3months (he is now 11, almost one). Although I love the teachers and am pleased with his care I am unhappy with the management in control of the teacher to children ratio.

My understanding is that by paying every week I am allotted a space. ie: If there are 9 children enrolled there should be 3 teachers in the room (Fl law max 4:1 if I understand correctly)..... Yet I have been noticing that as my schedule has become more sporadic (a take him random days and sometimes for only 4 hours so I can study) the number of children to teachers as been on the increase. Ie: I drop him off and hes the 5th child with one teacher or the 8th with 2. When I pick him up the ratio is always legal but nearly always at the max.

My question is: Am I out of line in addressing this? As far as Im concerned Im not paying ~$800/month for them to play the numbers game with me. If I decide to stay home with my child the teacher should have a smaller number of kids to look after (ie: easier day for them). This should not be an opportunity for the center to consolidate teachers....

Is this common? First kid, first and only center, otherwise Im a happy momma. TIA
cheerfuldom 11:30 AM 06-05-2013
yes this is absolutely common. it is probably due to part timers and drop in care (meaning the parents pay by the day and call that morning to see how much room there is). probably 90% of centers will do absolutely everything in their power to have each room at the max ratio every single day which means they are making the max amount of money possible. As long as they are within the legal ratio, I dont see a problem. I hate to remind you but daycare IS a business when you come down to it. They have bills to pay, teachers, insurance, equipment and supplies, etc, etc. and they want to make a profit. People dont do this service for free. and a lot of places will send teachers home if there isnt enough kids which means the teachers are not getting reliable income if the ratios are not maxed out.

Besides that, I dont understand why you would even have a problem with it if they are following state regulations? If your child is being well cared for then it is really none of your business how the rest of the daycare is run. What they are do is legal. If it really bothers you for the room to be full all the time or for your sons spot to be used when you dont use it, then it doesnt sound like this center is the right fit.....however I will say, you may have a hard time finding a center that does it differently. and I can guarantee you they are not going to change anything just because you complain. Doing what you would like means a loss of income for them, not going to happen.

Now the only thing that I would be concerned about is if your own child puts them over the legal limit/ratio and they do not immediately bring in another teacher. If you ever come and you know for a fact that the ratio is running illegally, you can report that.
Unregistered 11:46 AM 06-05-2013
Thanks for your reply!

That was just my question, should I have a problem with it?

From my perspective I pay for a spot 0630 - 1830. If there are 9 infants "paying for a spot" there should be 3 teachers available (getting paid). I realize its a business but I am also tuned into the fact that the providers caring for my child are only receiving a fraction of my tuition. The center has determined it can pay its bills and a little extra at the going rate (otherwise they wouldn't be in business); it seems unfair to max out the teachers just because I don't have to go to work that day.

Like I said, this is all new to me and weve been trying to figure out if its worth bringing up or not.
melilley 11:46 AM 06-05-2013
What Cheerfuldom said is so true! Before opening my fcc, I worked in a center setting for 14 years and everything she said does happen. But if they are a center like the ones that I worked at, management probably does have to move kids around to get a teacher in the room or actually go into the room themselves until a teacher can get in there and since you said they are always in ratio every time you pick up then this is probably what they do. When there are part time children that have sporadic schedules centers have to put teachers where they are needed at the time and have to adjust and move teachers as the day goes on. I wouldn't be too concerned, if the center is a center that follows all rules and regulations then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Unregistered 11:48 AM 06-05-2013
Saw the edit - that was my next question: If he is child #5, there is usually not an "immediate" ie: before I leave, additional teacher. I guess I should just let the manager know on the way out?
cheerfuldom 11:51 AM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for your reply!

From my perspective I pay for a spot 0630 - 1830. If there are 9 infants "paying for a spot" there should be 3 teachers available (getting paid). I realize its a business but I am also tuned into the fact that the providers caring for my child are only receiving a fraction of my tuition. The center has determined it can pay its bills and a little extra at the going rate (otherwise they wouldn't be in business); it seems unfair to max out the teachers just because I don't have to go to work that day.

Like I said, this is all new to me and weve been trying to figure out if its worth bringing up or not.
I see what your saying but again, this is a business. It makes business sense to max out the student/teacher ratio and send home any extra teachers (unpaid) for the day. Most centers have "floaters" or people who are on call to work a part time basis. They only come in if there is X number of kids in attendance. If kids don't show up, the center sends home extra teachers and keeps that portion of the teacher wages. Its a part of the business plan and normally that is factored into the tuition. The owners/managers know there will be days were teachers will be sent home and that they can factor that into how much money the center makes and what funds are available for what needs. Business isnt about being fair, its about making money. If you are sensitive to financial ethics like this, a center is the wrong place for you. It would be better to check out an in home option or even a SAHM or nanny sitter since it sounds like your needs are closer to part time anyway.
cheerfuldom 11:54 AM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
What Cheerfuldom said is so true! Before opening my fcc, I worked in a center setting for 14 years and everything she said does happen. But if they are a center like the ones that I worked at, management probably does have to move kids around to get a teacher in the room or actually go into the room themselves until a teacher can get in there and since you said they are always in ratio every time you pick up then this is probably what they do. When there are part time children that have sporadic schedules centers have to put teachers where they are needed at the time and have to adjust and move teachers as the day goes on. I wouldn't be too concerned, if the center is a center that follows all rules and regulations then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
yes, a lot of shuffling goes on in centers. that is one of the big reasons why my kids would never be put into a center. they may have one lead teacher that is hopefully there most of the time but the rest of the assistants and floaters will be a wave of new people and new faces for the kids, constantly. add that to the high turnover in centers and the kids dont usually have a chance to form bonds with particular teachers.
melilley 11:55 AM 06-05-2013
Thanks for your reply!

They may have the 3rd teacher in a different room doing something else until you arrive. It really wouldn't make any sense to have a 3rd teacher standing around in a room that is in ratio with 2, doing nothing. And you are right, when I worked in a center my pay weekly pay was equal to approx. 2 infant's tuition, and it was unfair to be paid so little(at least us teachers thought so) but at the same time, the corporation (that has centers throughout the US) that I worked for had centers in jeopardy of closing even though it seemed like they were doing well. So it is unfair to max out teachers, but unfortunately that's what happens in the daycare business whether they are profitable or not.
cheerfuldom 11:57 AM 06-05-2013
Saw the edit - that was my next question: If he is child #5, there is usually not an "immediate" ie: before I leave, additional teacher. I guess I should just let the manager know on the way out?
I would ask the lead teacher. "How quickly will you be able to address the ratio in the room right now since Aiden makes five with only one teacher? I realize this means you are over the legal ratio of kids and am concerned about how quickly this will be remedied"

a lot of times, what happens is that the oldest child in that room is moved up to the next age room, or a young child is move to a lower aged room, or an office staff member will come sit in the room until the issue is resolved. so yes, lots of shuffling at times can happen.

I will add that I applaud you OP for being aware of what is happening, what the legal regulations are, and for caring enough to ask about what you see as the teachers being overworked. kudos for that
Unregistered 12:12 PM 06-05-2013
Thanks for the perspective! Its exactly what I was looking for by posting here.
racemom 01:36 PM 06-05-2013
I work in a center and can assure you that the situation is probably taken care of immediately. We don't usually say anything in front of parents, but another teacher will come in to the room as soon as you leave or the teacher will let management know they are over ratio. As everyone has stated even if you are paying for your spot, we get sent home if not needed.
Reply Up