Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cigarettes.. NYS Regulation
Mister Sir Husband 06:19 PM 12-20-2013
So I'm told that here in nys anyways, smoking is prohibited anywhere on the property during daycare hours. So my question is.. (and I will ask ocfs next time I talk to them) .. if my wife comes home from work and steps outside where the kids can't see her and uses an electronic cigarette.. is this still not allowed? Is not a big deal if she can't, but more of a curiosity we have..
Cradle2crayons 06:33 PM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
So I'm told that here in nys anyways, smoking is prohibited anywhere on the property during daycare hours. So my question is.. (and I will ask ocfs next time I talk to them) .. if my wife comes home from work and steps outside where the kids can't see her and uses an electronic cigarette.. is this still not allowed? Is not a big deal if she can't, but more of a curiosity we have..
I don't think e cigs count in that. Because e cigs don't give off "smoke" just evaporation and also there is no tobacco in them, even if they contain nicotine. They also don't account for second hand smoke.

I know, at least here, most everywhere is tobacco free but you can still use an e cig.
littlemissmuffet 09:51 PM 12-20-2013
Is there a reason your wife would have to step outside to use her e cig? They don't produce smoke which is what would be harmful to others... so why doesn't she just go into a private room or something?
Mister Sir Husband 09:55 PM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Is there a reason your wife would have to step outside to use her e cig? They don't produce smoke which is what would be harmful to others... so why doesn't she just go into a private room or something?
This is true, she could do this. I'm guessing as long as its not in front of the kids its fine. Then again, could it be in front of the kids?
Play Care 05:29 AM 12-21-2013
This is true, she could do this. I'm guessing as long as its not in front of the kids its fine. Then again, could it be in front of the kids?
It should NOT be in front of the DCK's, regulation or not. If you have older kids (3+) they will ask what Mrs. MasterSirHusband is doing? why is she doing it? and can they do it? They'll tell their parents that Mrs. MasterSirHusband was SMOKING in front of them (because they won't understand the e-cig/regular cig difference). Then be prepared for questions and possible licensing visits...If she MUST have a e-smoke then do it behind closed doors where the kids don't have access.
Mister Sir Husband 05:36 AM 12-21-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It should NOT be in front of the DCK's, regulation or not. If you have older kids (3+) they will ask what Mrs. MasterSirHusband is doing? why is she doing it? and can they do it? They'll tell their parents that Mrs. MasterSirHusband was SMOKING in front of them (because they won't understand the e-cig/regular cig difference). Then be prepared for questions and possible licensing visits...If she MUST have a e-smoke then do it behind closed doors where the kids don't have access.
We definitely are not doing this in front of the kids.. I was just curious if it could happen at all? The way the regulations read now, she could go out back behind a shed where the kids wouldn't find her if they were told to go look.. and its not allowed because its still on the property.
Cradle2crayons 08:09 AM 12-21-2013
We definitely are not doing this in front of the kids.. I was just curious if it could happen at all? The way the regulations read now, she could go out back behind a shed where the kids wouldn't find her if they were told to go look.. and its not allowed because its still on the property.
I'd tell her to go to the bathroom and lock the door. Seriously.
Unregistered 08:45 AM 12-21-2013
I would tell her to just go next door on the sidewalk or across the street. Then she is not on the property.
Tags:cigarettes, new york - requirements
Reply Up