Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Half My DC Kids Out Sick...
daycarediva 10:56 AM 07-25-2016
with severe vomiting/diarrhea. ONLY the kids that went to dcg's birthday party Saturday have it, all started symptoms yesterday morning. They had a petting zoo and pony rides. Dcm just sent me a text- they are testing for possible ecoli or salmonella.

The kids went from petting farm animals and riding the pony straight to eating lunch. Dcm said it was all outside and she didn't even think to bring hand sanitizer.

I only have 3 kids today, and took drop ins for tomorrow but I will still not be full. ALL of the kids have either been to the pediatrician or urgent care/er for fluids.
daycarediva 10:58 AM 07-25-2016
Is it bad that one of my first thoughts was "They can't blame daycare for this one!"
finsup 11:01 AM 07-25-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
with severe vomiting/diarrhea. ONLY the kids that went to dcg's birthday party Saturday have it, all started symptoms yesterday morning. They had a petting zoo and pony rides. Dcm just sent me a text- they are testing for possible ecoli or salmonella.

The kids went from petting farm animals and riding the pony straight to eating lunch. Dcm said it was all outside and she didn't even think to bring hand sanitizer.

I only have 3 kids today, and took drop ins for tomorrow but I will still not be full. ALL of the kids have either been to the pediatrician or urgent care/er for fluids.
Yikes!! Poor kiddos
Josiegirl 11:02 AM 07-25-2016
Oh no those poor kids. That's a birthday party that won't be forgotten soon. And poor host; I'd be feeling so terribly guilty. Hope they all feel better soon!
And nope, I think it's normal to think the way you did! They can't blame it on you.
MunchkinWrangler 11:14 AM 07-25-2016
Lol nope!

Hate to be so blunt but....(looks over shoulder)....what an idiot! Seriously letting kids touch farm animals and then straight to eating! Are providers the only people on the planet with good hygiene!

Sorry, I know... Rude....but it just seems like common sense!
Play Care 11:18 AM 07-25-2016
That's awful!

I'm wondering why the staff at the zoo wasn't directing the kids to hand wash stations or to sanitize
Unregistered 11:24 AM 07-25-2016
Thank your lucky stars that the party wasn't Sunday. You might have had full exposure at your child care home as well as yourself. I can't imagine what would have happened - maybe a forced closure while the investigation was completed and everything cleaned? Yikes.

Hopefully all of the children will recover easily. I believe e coli can cause kidney damage, IIRC.
daycarediva 09:35 AM 07-26-2016
TWO pediatricians feel that it is most likely ecoli. No results are back yet. One stayed overnight for fluids and was given antiemetics via iv.

I sent a balloon over with the kids names on the card. How sad! My poor babies! Most will be out all week based on symptoms parents are describing today.

I was talking about it to my oldest dck, and she said "Oh THAT'S why you tell us to wash our hands after we pet (any number of household animals, she listed them all)."

Um, yes dollface.
Cat Herder 09:50 AM 07-26-2016
One of my favorite neighbors works in the "children's petting zoo" party field. According to her handy-dandy pamphlet their industry is supposed to be regulated (USDA) and have safety/hand washing rules to follow as well. It should also be outlined in their contract.
daycarediva 09:56 AM 07-26-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
One of my favorite neighbors works in the "children's petting zoo" party field. According to her handy-dandy pamphlet their industry is supposed to be regulated (USDA) and have safety/hand washing rules to follow as well. It should also be outlined in their contract.
Interesting! We had an animal expo at the school my ds attends (room mom here) and they didn't say to have the kids wash hands. Neither did the teacher. Myself and one other parent did.

A hose and hand soap could have prevented all of this.
Unregistered 10:12 AM 07-26-2016
EXCLUSION Childcare: Until 24 hours after diarrhea has resolved and two stool cultures
obtained at least 24 hours apart have tested negative for E. coli O157:H7.
School: None, unless the child is not feeling well and/or has diarrhea and needs to
use the bathroom frequently. Exclusion may be necessary during outbreaks.
Anyone with E. coli O157:H7 should not go in lakes, pools, splash pads, water
parks, or hot tubs until 2 weeks after diarrhea has stopped.
Staff with E. coli O157:H7 may be restricted from working in food service or
childcare. Call your local health department to see if these restrictions apply.

^^ Copied from the infectious disease manual from my county.
Just in case it helps you set guidelines.
JackandJill 10:16 AM 07-26-2016
Oh man, that is rough! Poor kids, what a nightmare!!
KiwiKids 10:09 AM 07-27-2016
Oh my! Poor kids! I hope they all recover quickly and without any long term issues.
MsHannah 10:26 AM 07-27-2016
Oh my. I would be so worried if those were my kiddos! Hope they feel better soon!
Tags:handwashing, liability insurance, petting zoo
Reply Up