Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Problem with my References
Unregistered 05:33 PM 06-18-2018
I have been employed at several daycare centers.

Of those centers, only two are under the same management as they were when I was employed by them. One director barely knew me; the other may be willing to rehire me in September, but I have known her for less than a year, so I cannot use her as a reference). Due to the extremely high turnover rate at schools in my area, even centers I worked at a few short months ago have gone through major staff changes.

I also do not have the personal numbers of past supervisors (save for one who said I was "difficult to work with" because I was uncomfortable with blatantly violating licensing requirements). I can easily find the numbers for the centers online, but nobody at these centers knows me at this point.

I have been using babysitting/nanny clients as a reference. These are people who have not only employed me, but have also seen me interact with children. (Some even volunteered in my church nursery with me before I left).

However, the relationship between client and friend can become slightly blurred at times. Some days, I will go over to Helga Hufflepuff's house to babysit her preschooler and toddler. Other times, I am meeting Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw (another client) for dinner at Panera and a movie SANS children.

I do not have any contact information for any references who can attest to my experience in childcare with whom I do NOT also have a relationship outside of childcare. The best I can do is reach out to a past parent from a daycare job and a parent from my time working as a gym babysitter. In both cases, the only interaction with these women were during drop-offs and pick-ups.
rosieteddy 05:47 PM 06-18-2018
Just use the people you know.Explain to them that someone may call for a reference.
Unregistered 06:13 PM 06-18-2018
That's what I was doing. I have been receiving feedback from potential employers who are asking for PROFESSIONAL references. Babysitting/Nanny clients are not enough- especially ones who are also friends. I do not have references from past daycare jobs as it's not unusual for a school here to go through 2-3 directors in a year. If a previous director leaves a school, I have no way of contacting him or her; all phone communication is done via the school's main phone number.

I did leave the store number for a retail job where my boss is still employed. I also have the contact information for a woman who was a co-worker and manager's alternate at the same retail job. Other than that, with the exception of my current position (another retail job), I generally check "Do not contact" next to my past positions because my previous supervisors (and most coworkers) are no longer there. I worry that someone answering that they do not recognize my name will be misinterpreted as "She never worked here" when, the reality is, I DID work there under a completely different management/ownership.
storybookending 08:35 PM 06-18-2018
Most job applications have a space to write the duration of the time you spent employed at each place. I would just add that management changed and list the name of your supervisor and mention again at the interview that your previous employers do not work there anymore. Any place with decent bookkeeping should at the very least be able to confirm with HR that you were in fact employed. I wouldn’t check the “do not contact” box. That send up red flag IMO.
Josiegirl 02:05 AM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Most job applications have a space to write the duration of the time you spent employed at each place. I would just add that management changed and list the name of your supervisor and mention again at the interview that your previous employers do not work there anymore. Any place with decent bookkeeping should at the very least be able to confirm with HR that you were in fact employed. I wouldn’t check the “do not contact” box. That send up red flag IMO.
The last job application I ever filled out was probably on stone tablets. But this post made sense to me. Fill your applications out with as much past info as possible, letting them know directors have changed. They must have personnel info in files somewhere, staff conferences and evaluations, stuff like that? Or when new directors are called, possibly they'll give out old contact info? I don't know. But I also agree about the 'do not contact' box; my thought would immediately question why you wouldn't want them called. And sometimes, especially if they get lots of applicants, your application may just get filed when left unexplained.

Good luck!!!
Cat Herder 04:39 AM 06-19-2018
If new management does not know you, it won't hurt the reference. They will simply pull up employees tax info during that time, confirm employment dates and, if it is noted, will say whether or not your are eligible for rehire. Few even note that anymore.

Also, their reputation precedes them to hiring managers. Good managers know good people fail with bad management. They have probably already hired people they were told had issues and had them be wonderful employees.

Just don't say anything negative about previous employers. The culture simply was not a good fit at the time. If they do trash talk you, it looks bad on them.
Unregistered 08:24 AM 06-19-2018
I've worked at places that REFUSED to give me the appropriate paperwork to fill out when I was employed, so I doubt they'd have records of me now. I've also had to fill out paperwork multiple times because disorganized directors have lost my records. I've even re-interviewed at past employers (under new directors) and they had no idea I was previously employed when they called me in.
Unregistered 08:27 AM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Just don't say anything negative about previous employers. The culture simply was not a good fit at the time. If they do trash talk you, it looks bad on them.
So, what do I say when I mention that my 1 month stint at a daycare wasn't a good fit and they want me to elaborate? I cannot give the truth without sounding negative, and the truth is, I left because children were rewarded with candy for unsafe behavior (including running out into a parking lot) and teachers were hitting and verbally abusing children- and nothing was done even after I made my director and the state aware of the situation.
Ariana 08:34 AM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So, what do I say when I mention that my 1 month stint at a daycare wasn't a good fit and they want me to elaborate? I cannot give the truth without sounding negative, and the truth is, I left because children were rewarded with candy for unsafe behavior (including running out into a parking lot) and teachers were hitting and verbally abusing children- and nothing was done even after I made my director and the state aware of the situation.
You can absolutely tell the truth. You don’t have to be specific simply state that you left due to unfavourable working conditions or due to safety issues that were not being addressed or something else generic. If they ask you to elaborate I personally would simply tell them you do not feel comfortable speaking negatively about past employers.

Also I would use whatever references you can and also explain that due to high turnover these are the people that can speak to your true nature and character. I have provided references for friends many times.
Cat Herder 09:08 AM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I stand by "The culture simply was not a good fit at the time"

If nothing was done after a report to the director and state then the investigation was deemed unsubstantiated. We all know of someone who got away with something, that is life. What is done in the dark will always find the light of day, just not today. Clearly.

Stay positive, upbeat. Stress your positive qualities, not their negative ones.

I would also avoid telling them you filed an unsubstantiated report. That is over, in the past, and can only work to make you seem vindictive and a risk. I get still being angry. I am still angry at a "manager" from back in 2009. It would only make me look crazy to keep talking about it, though. (His is coming. 4 daughters and 2 ex-wives. I need not say anything. )

No. It is not fair. It is the world we live in, though. Don't worry. The toes they step on today tend to be attached to the rear they will have to kiss down the line. Life is funny that way.
Tags:interview, references
Reply Up