Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Cooking in Bulk
kcnjason 05:05 AM 07-08-2011
What kinds of foods do you make for snacks in bulk? I am running out of ideas. Because summer is here and we spend a lot of time outdoors and in the water the kids tend to get hungry more often. I go through food a lot quicker so I am looking for ideas of homemade snacks in bulk. My snack assortment is dwindling quick~
Cat Herder 05:26 AM 07-08-2011
Trail mix:

1 box 5 grain cheerios, several packages of dehydrated fruits, raisins, sunflower seeds, various nuts (if over 2), and 1 small pack of M&M's.

I keep it in an airtight cereal container and serve in loot bags from clearance sales.
Rachel 11:36 PM 07-09-2011
Oat Bars

2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup sugar (brown or white)
1 tsp. baking soda

Melt 2 sticks marg / butter with 4 Tbs honey
Add to the dry mixture and mix

You can add in chocolate chips or raisins also.

Press into a 9x13 pan - bake 350 for 25 minutes. Cut while warm (they get hard).

These freeze well. I have never doubled the recipe, but they are so quick to throw in I just do a few batches at once, cook 2 pans at a time, cut & flash freeze.
Meyou 03:22 AM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Trail mix:

1 box 5 grain cheerios, several packages of dehydrated fruits, raisins, sunflower seeds, various nuts (if over 2), and 1 small pack of M&M's.

I keep it in an airtight cereal container and serve in loot bags from clearance sales.
I bought everything to make this last night. really excited for the kids to try it Monday.
Pammie 05:05 AM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
What kinds of foods do you make for snacks in bulk?

I make dozens and dozens of mini-muffins of all sorts and keep them in my freezer. The mini-muffin pans were an initial investment, but after about 10 years of using them, they're still in great shape and have paid for themselves over-and-over. After baking/cooling, I put the muffins on a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer so that they freeze individually - and then after about an hour, pop them into gallon zip-bags. Quick and easy snack or even breakfast - they thaw in about 20 minutes, but some of my dc kids LOVE to eat them frozen:-))
nannyde 10:07 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I make dozens and dozens of mini-muffins of all sorts and keep them in my freezer. The mini-muffin pans were an initial investment, but after about 10 years of using them, they're still in great shape and have paid for themselves over-and-over. After baking/cooling, I put the muffins on a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer so that they freeze individually - and then after about an hour, pop them into gallon zip-bags. Quick and easy snack or even breakfast - they thaw in about 20 minutes, but some of my dc kids LOVE to eat them frozen:-))
yeah yeah

same trick here and the "teethers" love them frozen.
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I bought everything to make this last night. really excited for the kids to try it Monday.
Too cool!! I do like to make things a little fun.

They are a big hit around here (tied in the loot bags and kept in the cookie jar) with my teens as well. During the different seasons I perk it up. Candy pumpkins at Halloween, heart shaped red hots at Valentines day, etc.

I think I have a house goblin since it disappears constantly, "I don't know" only to hear rumors of all my loot bags that end up at the high school. I have even seen a few sightings of those little bags on my kids friends facebook pages...

It MUST be a coincidence, though.
ATTAMENTY 06:08 AM 12-01-2011
I saw the recipe for the white level 50 cook in Obsidian vendor.

Does any1 knows what is the green one???
Tags:bulk - snack, snack ideas, snack menu
Reply Up