Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoe Policy: WWYD?
PolkaTots 06:05 AM 09-22-2011
I require children to arrive in non-tie shoes if they are unable to tie them theirselves. Not only does this help with confidence when they can do this themselves, it's easier to not have to tie/unknot 7 pairs of shoes everytime we leave the house or go outdoors. (Minimum 4 times per day for preschool runs)

I have 2 parents consistently bring their children in tie shoes, 1 just doesn't care, and the other says she has been looking for velcro shoes for several weeks now(must not be looking too hard, as I've found them several places) At what point do you penalize them for not following the contract?
littlemissmuffet 06:45 AM 09-22-2011
First of all, the mother might be trying as hard as she says. My sister could NEVER find shoes for her little guy - she even try to order from the internet from diffrent countries with diffrent sizes and still none of them fit properly... she found one pair/brand and that's what they had to go with until he his feet were no longer such an awkward size and shape.

Secondly, nevermind this business of bringing the kids in easy shoes - the parents who are disregarding your request will need to pruchase an easy pair of daycare shoes that STAY at daycare each day - they need to be brought in Monday morning... care will not resume until they are brought in. Simple.
Cat Herder 06:52 AM 09-22-2011
When I go through a stage where the kids keep untying their shoes I use small plastic zip-ties from the hardware store in the grommets to turn them into slip ons for as long as I need.

Maybe that will help? They are super cheap.
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
I require children to arrive in non-tie shoes if they are unable to tie them theirselves. Not only does this help with confidence when they can do this themselves, it's easier to not have to tie/unknot 7 pairs of shoes everytime we leave the house or go outdoors. (Minimum 4 times per day for preschool runs)

I have 2 parents consistently bring their children in tie shoes, 1 just doesn't care, and the other says she has been looking for velcro shoes for several weeks now(must not be looking too hard, as I've found them several places) At what point do you penalize them for not following the contract?
I think if a parent is not following your rules and policies (which they agreed to by signing your contract) I would not accept them into care until they do. Just like payments or forgetting their mittens.

If they aren't doing what they have already agreed to do, then do not provide services until then.

Either that, or do what Nan does and simply purchase the shoes yourself and keep them at daycare.
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If they aren't doing what they have already agreed to do, then do not provide services until then. .
This is the best option, IMHO, if it is part of your signed contract.
Tags:clothing - issues, enforcing policies - consistency, footwear, shoes
Reply Up