Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wow, I'm A Bit Disturbed By This Pair Of Care.Com Ads
SilverSabre25 06:32 AM 10-17-2011
Ad 1:
Night Nanny Needed-but Also Potential For Daytime Hours Too

Overnight nanny needed about 3 days a week from 10 p.m. to 730 a.m. Some weekend nights are needed too. We have 2 other night nannies right now that need some extra help, and we are looking for someone ASAP or in the next week or two. Our son is 2 months old and sleeps thru most of the night. This job is until the baby sleeps thru the night (so probably the next few months) There is definitely potential to take care of our 20-month-old and 2-month-old son during the day for part time hours also if you would like (but not necessary). We currently have 3 nannies right now. We are busy physicians and need someone who doesn't smoke, has a clean background check, and is very very very reliable and GREAT with babies and toddlers. Thanks

Ad 2:
NANNY NEEDED ASAP IN NEW ALBANY

We are busy physicians looking for a loving and very reliable nanny for our 20-month-old daughter and 2-month-old son in our home. We have another nanny that works about 40 of the 60 hours needed at our home and is able to be flexible with the schedule with you. We need someone from 715 a.m. to 730 p.m. (which the day can be split or you can do a long day) on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday and Saturday 715 to 330 p.m. Pay is $12-14 an hour depending on experience. 2 week paid vacations a year after 6 months of employment. Please email us. No smokers, drug test and background check a must. Transportation is a must too. We need someone ASAP so please contact us.

And yes, I'm absolutely positive that these ads are from the same family.
MyAngels 06:45 AM 10-17-2011
Okay, I'm obviously having Monday brain - what is it about them that disturbs you? I'm getting the impression that they are having trouble finding someone who can commit to basically a live-in situation in case they get called to work at the same time .
SilverSabre25 06:48 AM 10-17-2011
Because they need someone for 21 hours a day? It just makes me sad.
nannyde 06:48 AM 10-17-2011
That's an awful lot of people to care for two kids at night.

Why don't they hire a 24/7 Nanny five days a week live in?
Country Kids 06:54 AM 10-17-2011
IF they are the same people why are the ads totally different. One says they need night care the other says during the day. Also, if the first one if for night only are the parents sleeping during the day? Very confusing ads!
Unregistered 06:56 AM 10-17-2011
It looks to me like the reason they need so many hours is because of their profession. I know the DR's kids that I watch have the most unpredictable hours. Often the parents have to drop off last minute and a solid pick up time is hard for them as well. You can't predict when a woman will go into labor and how long it will take to deliver and stabilize the 2. As a provider I think sometimes we forget that every parent doesn't have the option of working 9-5 m-f
nannyde 06:58 AM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
IF they are the same people why are the ads totally different. One says they need night care the other says during the day. Also, if the first one if for night only are the parents sleeping during the day? Very confusing ads!
I think they are trying to cover every minute of every day OR there is something weird going on.
SilverSabre25 06:59 AM 10-17-2011
They need care at night because they don't want to get up with the 2 month old. --This job is until the baby sleeps thru the night (so probably the next few months)

They're looking for one more part-time day nanny (the second ad) and one more night-time nanny (the first ad).

I'm sure these are the same people because the location is the same and the information is the same--2-month old and 20 month old, both say that they are busy physicians, etc.

Nanny, I doubt a 5-day a week live-in nanny would work because they want someone pretty much all 7 days. Well, 6 days--they don't specifically mention Sunday.
Meyou 07:12 AM 10-17-2011
I'm wondering if they're OB's? My OB had a day and night nanny when her kids were small because her husband travelled for work and she could be called to deliver a baby at any point day or night. She was/still is a very hands on mom but her job makes it so that she has to drop everything and run for babies. They needed a nanny there 24/7 for that reason.
Nellie 08:26 AM 10-17-2011
To me it sounds like they are just trying to cover all there bases. I'm almost guessing that they already have a night nanny for the 20 month old and after the baby can sleep through the night the baby will be switched to that nanny or the parents need a solid block of sleep time. Pay and benifits sound good, but I live in WI and wages and cost of living is probable lower.

I read a CL ad the other day for a nanny needed for 2 month old. The job was 3 days a week for 4 hours a day(give or take). I almost took it that it was more of a maid job, because the list went on and on about all the house keeping duities that would need to be completed(not just cleaning after self and baby). Pay 30 dollars a WEEK. Payable at the end of the month.
Ariana 03:26 PM 10-17-2011
Sounds to me like they both work crazy weird hours and need someone available 24/7? I just don't get why they are needing 3 seperate nannies!
daycare 03:38 PM 10-17-2011
Most of my family is doctors. here in the US and in my home county.

Even though this sounds odd, it is very common. Especially if the parent is a surgeon. My MIL is a surgeon and she is constantly on call. Then when is not on call, she will have her two days off, but will really need to have down time. My husband said that even though his mom was there for him, she was also gone a lot too and worked horribly long hours.

My dad is a doctor and he is an OBGYN, well thats what he woudl be called if here worked here...But he has to leave all hours of the night. When I was a child, my mom did not work. Then when I was about a jr girl age 13, my mom got a job. my grandmother lived with us most of my life so she was always there. We didn't ever have a baby sitter, nanny or daycare

This could be the case.
Country Kids 03:38 PM 10-17-2011
Why have babies?
JenNJ 04:37 PM 10-17-2011
I was a nanny for a pair of doctors when I was in college. Let me share my experience.

- I was one of 4 nannies. They needed every minute covered in case they were both called into work at the same time
- The reason for 4 nannies vs. just one live in was for financial reasons. They paid us legally. Any time over 40 hours was time and a half. It was cheaper to pay 4 nannies for 40 hours each. (The additional 2 hours each week was covered by the overnight nanny -- she as the lowest paid)
- I was paid for 40 hours a week (8am - 6pm Monday to Thursday) but only worked about 25 on average.
- The parents had a lot of free hours and worked nearby. They often came home to play with their child, take her on walks or to the park, or read to her. The dad came home most days to eat lunch with her and put her down for her nap. Mom was home most evenings to eat dinner with her.
- They were incredible parents and spent more QUALITY time with their child than any parent I have ever seen (I am including myself in this). When they were with her, they were WITH her. They hired out any chores they could -- cooks, gardeners, and house cleaners so that every free moment they had was spent with their daughter.

Moral of the story -- don't judge until you have walked a mile. The reason for doctors to have 24/7 coverage is LITERALLY a life and death situation.
Heidi 04:40 PM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
To me it sounds like they are just trying to cover all there bases. I'm almost guessing that they already have a night nanny for the 20 month old and after the baby can sleep through the night the baby will be switched to that nanny or the parents need a solid block of sleep time. Pay and benifits sound good, but I live in WI and wages and cost of living is probable lower.

I read a CL ad the other day for a nanny needed for 2 month old. The job was 3 days a week for 4 hours a day(give or take). I almost took it that it was more of a maid job, because the list went on and on about all the house keeping duities that would need to be completed(not just cleaning after self and baby). Pay 30 dollars a WEEK. Payable at the end of the month.
Hi Nellie-

I'm in Wisconsin, too. Grew up in Madison, but am now in the New Lisbon area.
SilverSabre25 05:58 PM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I was a nanny for a pair of doctors when I was in college. Let me share my experience.

- I was one of 4 nannies. They needed every minute covered in case they were both called into work at the same time
- The reason for 4 nannies vs. just one live in was for financial reasons. They paid us legally. Any time over 40 hours was time and a half. It was cheaper to pay 4 nannies for 40 hours each. (The additional 2 hours each week was covered by the overnight nanny -- she as the lowest paid)
- I was paid for 40 hours a week (8am - 6pm Monday to Thursday) but only worked about 25 on average.
- The parents had a lot of free hours and worked nearby. They often came home to play with their child, take her on walks or to the park, or read to her. The dad came home most days to eat lunch with her and put her down for her nap. Mom was home most evenings to eat dinner with her.
- They were incredible parents and spent more QUALITY time with their child than any parent I have ever seen (I am including myself in this). When they were with her, they were WITH her. They hired out any chores they could -- cooks, gardeners, and house cleaners so that every free moment they had was spent with their daughter.

Moral of the story -- don't judge until you have walked a mile. The reason for doctors to have 24/7 coverage is LITERALLY a life and death situation.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. That really does shed a different light on it and I dearly hope that this family is the same way.
Country Kids 06:00 PM 10-17-2011

What did the nannies do then when the parents were at home. Did you get to leave or did you have to stay there in case they were called back to work?

Please don't take this the wrong way but they had the means (because of education and jobs) to spend that quality time with their child. They were giving that child a life that most parents would like to but can't realistically. I would love to even have dishwasher to free up 45 min a night so that I could spend that much more time with my children helping them with homework and such. To have someone do all the cleaning, cooking and gardening-I probably wouldn't know what to do with myself!
Ariana 06:21 PM 10-17-2011

Ah! Thanks for explaining the reason for so many nannies!! Makes total sense.
dave4him 06:48 PM 10-17-2011
Reminds me of the movie The Nanny Diaries
JenNJ 06:02 AM 10-18-2011
I lived less than a 5 minute drive from my employers home, so I often just went home when they were home. If they went to the park, I would go to the park with them and go for a run myself or to the local mall and hang out in case they were called in. Sometimes I would hang out with the live in overnight nanny. I would meet my boyfriend (now husband for lunch or a smoothie. It was nice.
forin
Yes, people who are doctors, work that many hours, and have a life of being on call have a lot of money. But there were things they could never do with their own child. No hayrides for instance. They wouldn't be able to get into the city fast enough if they were in a field in the farmland.
2ndFamilyDC 06:14 AM 10-18-2011
Makes you wonder why they ever had kids. These kids are being brought up by nannies, not mom and dad, how sad.
Unregistered 06:28 AM 10-18-2011
You don't know that. I mean, for all we know, they only work 40 hours per week but those hours are unpredictable. We don't know how much they love their child or how much time they spend with them. Maybe they work most of their hours at night and can spend large pcs of the day with they child? We can't judge based only on this ad so maybe everyone should back off.
Unregistered 07:58 AM 10-18-2011
I agree why even have kids, there is no excuse and on craigslist? Wouldn't you at least go through a dependable service.

Once I had two eye doctors, and the wife wanted to bring her child with croup claiming she didn't want to miss any appts. omg!
MarinaVanessa 09:33 AM 10-18-2011
When I was younger I also worked as a nanny part-time for a couple that were both doctors 5 days a week caring for a set of twins. They had another daytime nanny that came in at the same time that I left (i worked mornings). They also had 2 alternating nightime nanny's. The husband was an OB and the wife was an emergency room doctor. The dad would get paged at random times of the day of course for a patient that suddently went into labor and the mom worked evenings and nights alot and was on-call many times. They both just had crazy hours but they wanted to make sure that someone was home for their twins just in case one was at work and the other got called in suddently. While I was there it was common for both parents to be there with me and they both spent a lot of time with the twins and I was really only there to change diapers, help out and do small household tasks like help with the kids laundry, dust, vacuum and play with the kids. While I was there the parents did the cooking, the bathing, the dressing etc. I was really there for back-up. Sometimes one would be at work and the other would get called in and then I'd take over completely. They also had literally every single minute of the day covered. It's actually pretty common here in my area for Dr couples in similar situations to have nannies cover all the time they could potentially be called in to work even if most of the time they are there with the nanny.

Hopefully that's the case in this scenario.
Unregistered 10:06 AM 10-18-2011
What I find off, is if they are that well off, why not hire a professional Nanny service to find a Nanny.

Why have kids? Really? Anyone with a profession that is not 9-5 should not have children? They are doing what they feel is best for their children and they have the ability to do this. Not everyone is built or wants or has to be 100% hands on parenting. I think there is a lot of other things that goes into making a great parent. It doesn't make you a good parent because you are stuck up your child's bleep 100 percent of the time and so dazzled by your creation of work. Blah! Gag me. Some parents choose to have a career and a family and they make adjustments to make it work for them.
Tags:advertisement, bad idea, care.com, long hours
Reply Up