Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Runny Nose vs THICK GREEN Snot
Brooksie 06:18 AM 09-18-2013
With the change of seasons and the days getting colder it seems like every one is congested and has a runny nose. I don't generally exclude for mild cold symptoms or allergy symptoms like a simple clear runny nose or congestion. I have 3 kids that showed up on Monday like this. I have stated to the parents before, if I excluded for all mild cold symptoms I would have no kids all winter. While I try to be understanding about those mild symptoms, my sick policy does state::
Sick Child. Maryland law prohibits me from caring for sick children. Therefore, you may NOT bring your sick child to my Home for care. If you give your Child medication to reduce a fever or mask symptoms of illness and bring the sick Child to my Home without telling me about the medication, you will be violating this Agreement, and I will have the right to terminate it immediately. If your child becomes sick while in my care, I will call you, and you must pick up your child promptly. I will keep your sick Child separated from the other children in my care until you arrive. After any illness, your Child must be free of all symptoms (not just fever and vomiting) for at least twenty-four (24) hours before returning to my Home. After a serious illness, your Child will be allowed to return to my Home only with written permission from the Childs’ physician. If your child is put on antibiotics they must wait 24 hours before returning to care. It is your responsibility to find alternate care for your sick Child and to notify me when your sick Child will not be present in my Home on a scheduled Child Care Day. Please inform me of any contagious illness so I may alert the parents of other children exposed to you Child. The definition of a sick child for the purpose of this Agreement shall be a child who has a fever (100 degrees F. or above), vomiting, diarrhea,a runny nose with thick, discolored discharge, a rash of unknown cause, severe pain, extreme listlessness or other dramatic personality change indicating the child is not well, or any other symptom of acute illness, serious transmissible infection or communicable disease.
Your Child should be able to participate in the normal activities of the day. When having to care for sick children, it keeps me from providing quality care to the other children in my Child Care Home. Therefore, you will have one (1) hour to pick up your sick child/ren.

So one of my kids was dropped off yesterday and has very thick green snot. It poured out of his nose all day yesterday and is again today. This isn't just a little clear drip, this is like a bright green slug that hangs down to his lip. He's also coughing (like half the kids in care right now). So while everyone else seems to be battling normal cold weather symptoms his are a bit on the other side of the spectrum. So how would you approach this? Send home? Order him be kept home until he's clear? Drs note? I know a dr is just going to say its a cold and he has to wait it out. Its just the snot thing. He's 15 mo and wipes his face and gets it everywhere if I don't get to it immediately and he doesn't cover his mouth when he coughs. Would you exclude?
Cradle2crayons 06:20 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
With the change of seasons and the days getting colder it seems like every one is congested and has a runny nose. I don't generally exclude for mild cold symptoms or allergy symptoms like a simple clear runny nose or congestion. I have 3 kids that showed up on Monday like this. I have stated to the parents before, if I excluded for all mild cold symptoms I would have no kids all winter. While I try to be understanding about those mild symptoms, my sick policy does state::
Sick Child. Maryland law prohibits me from caring for sick children. Therefore, you may NOT bring your sick child to my Home for care. If you give your Child medication to reduce a fever or mask symptoms of illness and bring the sick Child to my Home without telling me about the medication, you will be violating this Agreement, and I will have the right to terminate it immediately. If your child becomes sick while in my care, I will call you, and you must pick up your child promptly. I will keep your sick Child separated from the other children in my care until you arrive. After any illness, your Child must be free of all symptoms (not just fever and vomiting) for at least twenty-four (24) hours before returning to my Home. After a serious illness, your Child will be allowed to return to my Home only with written permission from the Childs’ physician. If your child is put on antibiotics they must wait 24 hours before returning to care. It is your responsibility to find alternate care for your sick Child and to notify me when your sick Child will not be present in my Home on a scheduled Child Care Day. Please inform me of any contagious illness so I may alert the parents of other children exposed to you Child. The definition of a sick child for the purpose of this Agreement shall be a child who has a fever (100 degrees F. or above), vomiting, diarrhea,a runny nose with thick, discolored discharge, a rash of unknown cause, severe pain, extreme listlessness or other dramatic personality change indicating the child is not well, or any other symptom of acute illness, serious transmissible infection or communicable disease.
Your Child should be able to participate in the normal activities of the day. When having to care for sick children, it keeps me from providing quality care to the other children in my Child Care Home. Therefore, you will have one (1) hour to pick up your sick child/ren.

So one of my kids was dropped off yesterday and has very thick green snot. It poured out of his nose all day yesterday and is again today. This isn't just a little clear drip, this is like a bright green slug that hangs down to his lip. He's also coughing (like half the kids in care right now). So while everyone else seems to be battling normal cold weather symptoms his are a bit on the other side of the spectrum. So how would you approach this? Send home? Order him be kept home until he's clear? Drs note? I know a dr is just going to say its a cold and he has to wait it out. Its just the snot thing. He's 15 mo and wipes his face and gets it everywhere if I don't get to it immediately and he doesn't cover his mouth when he coughs. Would you exclude?
How long has he been this way?? As per yur illness policy, a child with thick green nasal discharge is excluded.

I would exclude.
Brooksie 06:23 AM 09-18-2013
It was just yesterday (he's Tuesday-Friday), but today its colored and thick. Yesterday it was just running. I think I am going to call mom.
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 09-18-2013
from Snot Decoded:

Green Mucus

Green mucus can signify a bacterial or fungal infection. The green color is produced by a type of white blood cell that responds to infections and inflammations. When the white blood cells die, they burst releasing a green pigment. The green pigment mixes with the mucus giving it the green color. The color is usually brighter at first and darkens over a few days.

When your sinuses become inflamed, they swell. This causes mucus to become trapped in your nasal passages. Over time bacteria and fungi can begin to grow in the mucus. This is when you might need antibiotics.

If the symptoms have lasted more than a week or seem to be getting worse, see a doctor, especially if you are experiencing fever, cough with mucus, headache, and sinus pressure.

http://hubpages.com/hub/snotdecodedw...ssnotcolormean

However, depending on the age of the child and their ability to contain/maintain the snot, I would exclude. At the very least I would require a doctor's visit if there was no improvement in condition after 5-7 days.
Familycare71 06:28 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
from Snot Decoded:

Green Mucus

Green mucus can signify a bacterial or fungal infection. The green color is produced by a type of white blood cell that responds to infections and inflammations. When the white blood cells die, they burst releasing a green pigment. The green pigment mixes with the mucus giving it the green color. The color is usually brighter at first and darkens over a few days.

When your sinuses become inflamed, they swell. This causes mucus to become trapped in your nasal passages. Over time bacteria and fungi can begin to grow in the mucus. This is when you might need antibiotics.

If the symptoms have lasted more than a week or seem to be getting worse, see a doctor, especially if you are experiencing fever, cough with mucus, headache, and sinus pressure.

http://hubpages.com/hub/snotdecodedw...ssnotcolormean

However, depending on the age of the child and their ability to contain/maintain the snot, I would exclude. At the very least I would require a doctor's visit if there was no improvement in condition after 5-7 days.

I have kids who always get thick green/yellow snot every cold- usually when the cold peaks. If you know this child typically doesn't do it with colds then it would be reasonable to exclude- typically I give it a few days if other symptoms are mild- most times the child improves on their own-
Leigh 06:34 AM 09-18-2013
I won't exclude for a cold, but I WILL exclude a child who has constant dripping and can not wipe his own nose (that snot always seems to end up on my couch!). What should you do? Follow your own policy. Send home if it is out of control.
Willow 06:42 AM 09-18-2013
I sent one home yesterday even though the nose was running clear. When people say their nose was "running like a faucet"...I've never actually SEEN it to this extent before.

Also 15 months old. It was everywhere and nonstop. Kiddo kept gagging on all the drainage going down the throat and couldn't breathe through the nose at all. Sneezing the fluids just flew. I called when it started pouring out both eyes.

I don't care if it was clear, I can't care for a kiddo that compromised. Thankfully the parents understood and made the wise and considerate choice to exclude themselves until it clears up considerably.
itlw8 09:02 AM 09-18-2013
a cold is just as contagious when it is clear and runny as thick and colored. The doctor that talked with our group said thick yellow or green snot just means it is old and is at the end of the cold. So really you are excluding when they are getting better.

Green or yellow snot that lasts more than 10 days might mean a sinus infection but that is not contagious. only the original cold.
Brooksie 09:37 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
a cold is just as contagious when it is clear and runny as thick and colored. The doctor that talked with our group said thick yellow or green snot just means it is old and is at the end of the cold. So really you are excluding when they are getting better.

Green or yellow snot that lasts more than 10 days might mean a sinus infection but that is not contagious. only the original cold.
Interesting. See I've heard so many different stand points on runny noses which is why I'm posting. Licensing suggest excluding for discolor. I live in MD and its one of the highest allergen states in the country. Every one has allergies. We see a lot of congestion and runny noses. A lot of mild colds in this season too. Mom said he's had a runny nose and cough for a week (was on vacation all last week). I told her it was worse today than yesterday and was very thick and discolored. Suggested she take him in. I think she is getting him after nap (he's already asleep). Since I posted this some of his snot has been thick and green, some thick and clear, but still a constant flow. I think I'm still going to have her take him in just to get an idea of whats going on and then judge it from there.
TwinKristi 10:07 AM 09-18-2013
Thick green snot doesn't always mean child needs to be excluded. I had a child who like someone above said, it was only at the end of the symptoms. I talked to mom and she thought it was allergies (but she loves coming up with creative reasons why her child isn't sick) even though he'd had a low grade fever the week before (but never over 100.5) and eventually developed a rash on his face and sore on his lip that appeared to be a cold sore. I sent him home and said I needed a dr's note for him to return and they claimed it was just a cut healing and could retrain to daycare. BUT of course mom was mad at me and now is taking her son to preschool after the 1st of the year. Let them deal with his illnesses! He was constantly sick all last winter as were my children! She's never kept him home when he was sick and of the 3-4 times I've sent him home it was for obvious symptoms (pink eye once, fever over 102 once, the sore on his mouth and then once when I was sick.) I am going to miss them and have become friends with the mom but what can I do, it's probably for the best.
Reply Up