Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 1/2 Year Old Hand Full
woods 10:44 AM 05-31-2018
I have a little boy he will be 2 in july. His parents just had a baby 4 months ago. Ever since this little guy has gone from the sweetest calmest kid to a nightmare. Every 5 minutes he is hitting, pushing or throwing toys at his friends. I've talk to him and tried time out. He will sit for the whole min. And not get up or make a fuss but the second ge gets out he is pushing again. Would it be bad if I put him in a play yard with toys for a good portion of the day so I dont pull my hair out? Not a play pen but one of those big outside play yards with lots of room to move and play.
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by woods:
I have a little boy he will be 2 in july. His parents just had a baby 4 months ago. Ever since this little guy has gone from the sweetest calmest kid to a nightmare. Every 5 minutes he is hitting, pushing or throwing toys at his friends. I've talk to him and tried time out. He will sit for the whole min. And not get up or make a fuss but the second ge gets out he is pushing again. Would it be bad if I put him in a play yard with toys for a good portion of the day so I dont pull my hair out? Not a play pen but one of those big outside play yards with lots of room to move and play.
I think allowing him to play without others within reach is more appropriate than time out.

In my state time out isn't recommended as a developmentally appropriate consequence until age 3.

Just shy of 2 isn't old enough to really grasp the concept and is more of a confinement than a method of teaching. Hence the return to unwanted behavior immediately after "release".

I would continue role modeling proper social behavior and remove friends/playmates from his reach when he is being aggressive.

After a bit allow him to try again. Use role modeling and positive reinforcement so he knows you are happy when he does make the right choices. Rinse and repeat.

This is exactly why this age is called "terrible 2's"
They aren't really terrible but do require alot of intervention and hands on supervision.
woods 03:24 PM 05-31-2018
That's what I've been doing. So we will keep at it. I have to take him everywhere with me because he cant ge trusted. 7 years and I've never had a kid this stubborn. We will keep at it.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by woods:
That's what I've been doing. So we will keep at it. I have to take him everywhere with me because he cant ge trusted. 7 years and I've never had a kid this stubborn. We will keep at it.
It seems to get harder every year...

I find myself saying "In all my years I've never seen a child do X or Y before" alot more often than I used to.

Kids are more challenging now days for sure but there is always that one that really does make us work hard to get them to understand basic rules.

Usually I find that it's not that the child isn't 'getting it' but that they DO get but are too stubborn to comply. Those are the ones that usually get into our hearts pretty deeply too.

Hang in there....
Reply Up