Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provide Supplies?
lflick 05:49 AM 10-02-2013
Hello!

I am rethinking what I can feasibly afford to offer as part of my child care.... I currently do not offer diapers, wipes, formula BUT I do realize that if I did it would give me an "edge" on other providers in the area as many providers in my area are low on kiddos.... for those of you that provide things such as this what would you estimate the cost to be?
Leigh 05:55 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Hello!

I am rethinking what I can feasibly afford to offer as part of my child care.... I currently do not offer diapers, wipes, formula BUT I do realize that if I did it would give me an "edge" on other providers in the area as many providers in my area are low on kiddos.... for those of you that provide things such as this what would you estimate the cost to be?
My kids average 5 diapers per day. That's between $6.25 and $8.75 per week, per kid. Wipes, my kids average 1 refill of wipes per week, at about $1.60 per package. I don't offer diapers or wipes to parents, but because of the food program, I do offer formula. Most parents want to provide their own formula, but when I do provide it, my reimbursement from the food program covers it's cost.
Maria2013 05:56 AM 10-02-2013
I provide EVERYTHING but diapers, it is hard to put a price on all of that (hubby does all the accounting), but I know if I started providing diapers too, with 4-5 kids on diapers I wouldn't have much of a profit
Cradle2crayons 06:18 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Hello!

I give parents the option on diapers...They can provide them or I can.

I charge $10.00 a week for diapers, paid up front with their weekly rate.

If I have an issue with parents forgetting to bring diapers, their option is gone. At that point I provide diapers and their rate goes up $10 a week.

I've always provided wipes.

Parents provide formula, however I had one in the past who asked me to and I calculated a charge and they paid that with their weekly rate.
butterfly 08:09 AM 10-02-2013
I provide wipes and formula (formula due to the food program.) I will only supply the generic. I'm not going to negotiate or change the formula I supply. They may opt to take it or leave it.

For me it was easier to supply wipes and use one pack for everyone. I do find moments of resentfulness when parents seem to take advantage. Giving their kids a wipe or 2 (of mine) to play with. I have reiterated over and over that this is not ok when I have 8 bottoms to be wiped - I can't let the wipes be wasted! I've then taken them back from the child. (can you tell I'm a little bitter about that.)

I buy a big box of wipes. I think it's about $15 and formula runs about $16/week. The price obviously varies depending on how many are in diapers. I would never supply diapers. Too much to keep track of for me. Maybe I'd consider supplying cloth, but it's easier to have the parents supply diapers.

If you were to supply it all, I'd consider charging atleast an extra $25/week.

I can't fathom buying 5 or 6 different sizes of disposable diapers every couple of weeks. Wow, not something I want to do!
renodeb 10:42 AM 10-02-2013
I started providing the diapers, wipes, and formula a while back because parents were not bringing in the supplies and I was running out. As time went on it became a good marketing tool to. I like being in control of my own supplies. From what Im seeing on this thread, those numbers are about right. I only have to buy two sizes of diapers!
Deb
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:03 AM 10-02-2013
I supply everything except diapers and wipes. I, too, have considered upping my baby rate and supplying them to avoid the hounding when they run low or out, then lowering the rate when they are fully potty-trained (incentive for lazy dcm/dcd that would rather change a diaper on a 3yo).

But...I would not fork out the dough to buy the two big name brands, and that's mainly what the dcp choose to use here. I think the 3rd big name diapers and many store brands are just as good, or actually even better! Also, I feel like they might think that they won't be changed as often if I'm paying for them. So that's what holds me back...

Those of you that do supply, do your dcps love it? Has there been a downside?
Cradle2crayons 11:05 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I started providing the diapers, wipes, and formula a while back because parents were not bringing in the supplies and I was running out. As time went on it became a good marketing tool to. I like being in control of my own supplies. From what Im seeing on this thread, those numbers are about right. I only have to buy two sizes of diapers!
Deb
Yes, I think it's easier also!!

I buy three different sizes of diapers lol
spinnymarie 11:59 AM 10-02-2013
I am thinking of providing diapers and wipes (dunno about formula yet) and I calculated about $10 extra each week.
For me, it would would save the headache of reminding everyone, wondering when they will bring it, possibly having back ups, etc.
They wouldn't get to pick which diaper brand, of course, but I would be able to just order when needed instead of all the extra steps.
I was thinking birth - full potty training...
jenboo 12:47 PM 10-02-2013
I provide everything except formula. I figured diapers and wipes would make me stand out from other providers. I'm spending about $15 total a week to diaper three children.
It makes it easier for me because I always know I will have the supplies and don't have to bug parents for them.
I also charge more for younger children...
Cradle2crayons 01:03 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I provide everything except formula. I figured diapers and wipes would make me stand out from other providers. I'm spending about $15 total a week to diaper three children.
It makes it easier for me because I always know I will have the supplies and don't have to bug parents for them.
I also charge more for younger children...
Yes, that's one good thing, I buy the brand I want to use. Which for the newborn is currently luvs size 1... For the special dcg who is 22 months old is size 2 huggies special care because she can only wear certain things, and for my 2 year old dcg she wears luvs size 3.

And the ONLY wipes I will use is the parents choice in the purple box.
Reply Up