Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's In Your Backyard?
Josiegirl 04:32 PM 07-12-2013
What play equipment do you have and what gets used the most?

I have an 8-in-1 climber by Little Tikes, an older Little Tikes Cube Climber, a couple of toddler climbing toys, an old Step 2 playhouse, a play kitchen, and a sandbox that's 10' by 10'. Since I laid out about $2300 for a fence this year, replacing the outdoor equipment is kind of out of the question for now but would love to think about it and shop around for next summer. I'm so sick of plastic. I'm hesitant to put up swings due to safety issues. We do have a tire swing in our tree and the kids have had great fun with that.
My Cube climber gets used the most, even though it's missing the slide and the shelf part of it is cracked. For some reason they love climbing on that.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:41 PM 07-12-2013
See I love the plastic, when they bang their heads it doesn't seem at bad and no splinters!
Josiegirl 05:02 PM 07-12-2013
I used to like the plastic too. Maybe I just need new plastic.
The problem with mine is most of it needs to be replaced. The one thing that's still in decent shape is the 8-in-1.
Maybe I'm just jealous cause new people live down the street from me and they've got this really big cool swing/climbing set, with a tunnel twirly slide and they've got a plastic rock wall climbing thing. My backyard needs a drastic overhaul but it's so expensive.
WImom 05:25 PM 07-13-2013
We have some homemade water tables
A Picnic Table
A bucket of Tools (They love these and go around and fix things)
A Playhouse
an 8 in 1 climber
2 sandboxes (Sand tables actually)
Roller Coaster
Trikes

I'd say the most used are the tools and climber. The sandbox if I add water to it so it's easier to build. The roller coaster used to get used alot but now most of my kids are 3.5-4y so they don't use it much. When they were two they loved it!
Sprouts 06:49 PM 07-13-2013
front shot and shot from back
Attached: 2buckingham_3Backyard.jpg (15.7 KB) BACK YARD.jpg (15.1 KB) 
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 07-14-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My Cube climber gets used the most, even though it's missing the slide and the shelf part of it is cracked. For some reason they love climbing on that.
LOL! I have the SAME climber.

Missing slide, cracked shelf/ledge...

I removed the ledge last summer and just have the 4 walls right now. The kids LOVE it and use it more than anything else in the yard so I can't toss it out.

I used to like the plastic too. Maybe I just need new plastic.
The problem with mine is most of it needs to be replaced. The one thing that's still in decent shape is the 8-in-1.
Maybe I'm just jealous cause new people live down the street from me and they've got this really big cool swing/climbing set, with a tunnel twirly slide and they've got a plastic rock wall climbing thing. My backyard needs a drastic overhaul but it's so expensive.
Have you considered painting the Little Tikes things?

I had a playhouse that was faded and old looking. I bought that spray paint made specifically for plastic and gave it a new paint job and it looks brand new...the kids even thought I got a new one.

I also think that although your neighbors new toys look appealing to you, IME, the things that I think look fun and exciting, the kids rarely play on.

As far as what I have in my yard goes... (these are NOT out all at the same time, but rotated like the toys in the house)

I am slowly getting rid of all my plastic toys and going for a more natural playscape.
nanglgrl 09:21 AM 07-14-2013
This is my yard right now. We are totalky revamping the tree fort and it will have a swing/slide/monkey bars and mud kitchen. When its done i plan on getting rid of all if the other toys. In the corner of our yard (behind the privacy fence) we have an above ground pool.
Attached: image.jpg (113.4 KB) 
Brooksie 09:24 AM 07-14-2013
I have a little tikes playhouse, a small slide, plasting see-saw and a BIG wooden sandbox. I also have a lot of play cars and bikes (although I want to get rid of them since they don't move so well in grass) and then various yard games and TONS of balls.
nanglgrl 09:28 AM 07-14-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
This is my yard right now. We are totalky revamping the tree fort and it will have a swing/slide/monkey bars and mud kitchen. When its done i plan on getting rid of all if the other toys. In the corner of our yard (behind the privacy fence) we have an above ground pool.
Here's the other photo. We're doing a lot of work in the backyard as far as landscaping and decor this summer.
Attached: image.jpg (144.0 KB) 
LK5kids 04:24 PM 07-14-2013
When I did child care before I had a cube climber and it was well loved and easily the favorite right up through school age! I sold it when I closed. They also loved the Little Tykes castle.

Right now I have two play houses, water table, sand table, basketball hoop, riding toys and Small Liitle Tyke slide. I really need some climbers. I see they still sell the castle and plan to get that too!
lflick 04:54 PM 07-14-2013
Here is the majority of my play equipment. I also have a white plastic pvc type picnic table, two step-2 toy boxes, and a bunch of bikes/trikes.
Attached: 1015398_10152942616620643_2111606660_o.jpg (123.7 KB) 
Happy Hearts 08:27 PM 07-14-2013
The favourite outside toy this year is a GIGANTIC 20 x 20 blue tarp. My lawn isn't completely flat, so when used with the hose (and dish soap!) I get puddles in it. The kids love it to slide on, sit in the puddles, scoop, make little rivers, set up the sprinkler and add dirt to make mud.

I like it because the water doesn't seep down into the ground right away so we get more use out of it.... great because I am on a well and must conserve water.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:29 AM 07-15-2013
Weeds.. well that is what I feel like. I didn't get my raised beds planted this year so they are weeds
Seriously, I have the castle (love it, have had it since 16 yo ds was little) A small cube and a little tykes tunnel from again ds being little.
Some trucks, balls, a wheelbarrow, a patch of dirt and shovels.
Space to run!

I want- one other Little Tykes climber. That is it though. I don't like swings with the ages I have they are too dangerous.
originalkat 07:47 AM 07-15-2013
I have a wooden play set with a slide, 2 single swings, one double swing, and rock climbing wall. Then I have a sandbox with sand toys, 2 trikes that I get out occasionally, 2 wooden child sized picnic tables. Then I have 1 rubbermaid tub outside filled with colored cones, soft frisbees, hula hoops, balls, etc... that the kids can use outside. I dont like to have too much clutter. I find that these things keep them busy. Here are some pics of our outside area.

CedarCreek 08:06 AM 07-15-2013
I've got a metal swing set with a slide and see saw, had to remove the glider as per state regs and that stunk. My kids loved it.

A wooden play set with swings and a slide, telescopes, wheels etc. (played with the most)

Flower station (thanks daycarediva!)

little tykes playhouse

Little tykes slide

Scooters, tricycles, plasma cars
countrymom 10:19 AM 07-15-2013
look at my profile and i have an album with my backyard pics. I just can't have the world to see them.
coolconfidentme 10:26 AM 07-15-2013
I have the usual, but my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE the dirt kitchen!!
Josiegirl 10:37 AM 07-15-2013
I have those stepping stones too, plus a parachute, but one of my dogs is notorious for stealing and chewing so we have to limit playing with them.
Sugar Magnolia 12:04 PM 07-15-2013
Mosquitos.
2 climber/slide combos
Picnic table
See saw for Bigs
See saw for Littles
4 riding toys (Cappy by Step 2)
Mosquitos
Sand box, sans sand, filled with small toys
2 benches
6 Bird of Paradise trees
2 palm trees (no shade from those lol)
A cypress tree log
Lots of trucks
A big dump truck
Mosquitos
4 chairs
A play house
An outside kitchen
A plastic piano (sounds sooooo much better outside)
Mosquitos
Bug repellent in mass quantities.
Lyss 01:11 PM 07-15-2013
I everyone's yard spaces!

There's not a whole lot in mine anymore, I purged the toys that never got used (well some went to the attic for the next round of DCKs) like the ride on toys, other climber, small slides...

-large cube climber (ultimate favorite)
-Balls
-Teeter totter
-water table
-sand/sensory table
-random items & loose parts (shovels, buckets, shells, rocks, strainers, watering cans, cars/trucks...)
-garden
-workbench (its just out of view on the left but we use it for all kinds of things, like flowershop, mud kitchen, tool play...)

This is the "daycare field" we play in, well when its cleaned up and before all the balls and toys get drug out everywhere. (we have a small nice backyard that's separated from this area by 10ft bushes where we have our bbq, patio, table, and another garden )

We also just put up a pool noodle obstacle course that the kids are enjoying!
Josiegirl 03:47 AM 07-16-2013
Lol Sugar Magnolia

What is it about the cube climbers that they love so much? Lol I could throw out everything else but the cube climber(except the tire swing and the long jump rope) and they'd all be happy.
Does LT even make them anymore? I tried buying parts for mine some time back and couldn't get them?
countrymom 04:15 AM 07-16-2013
my older kids love the cube climber. dh bought it at a yard sale 14 yrs ago and its a bit faded but in good order.
Familycare71 05:56 AM 07-16-2013
I'm jealous! I'm in NY and we have to have ground cover... I purchased a teeter totter and the kids LOVED it. During inspection I was told because the kids feet leave the ground I needed ground cover... So now we have a sand box, a huge blow up ball kids can get in, lots of balls, hoolahoops, etc... Oh- and a water table, slip n slide and sprinklers...
MonkeyingAround 07:08 AM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I have a wooden play set with a slide, 2 single swings, one double swing, and rock climbing wall. Then I have a sandbox with sand toys, 2 trikes that I get out occasionally, 2 wooden child sized picnic tables. Then I have 1 rubbermaid tub outside filled with colored cones, soft frisbees, hula hoops, balls, etc... that the kids can use outside. I dont like to have too much clutter. I find that these things keep them busy. Here are some pics of our outside area.
Where did you find those stepping stones? My kiddos would love those!!!
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 07-16-2013
Lol Sugar Magnolia

What is it about the cube climbers that they love so much? Lol I could throw out everything else but the cube climber(except the tire swing and the long jump rope) and they'd all be happy.
Does LT even make them anymore? I tried buying parts for mine some time back and couldn't get them?
I don't think LT makes the cube climbers anymore as the newer ones are all more triangular....

Funny that they would stop making something so popular.

I have a small one that I keep in doors in the winter months so the little can climb and get their crazies out while staying warm.

I do see the climbing cubes in both the large and small size ALL over Craig's List and e-bay for pretty cheap so they are still out there....

Originally Posted by MonkeyingAround:
Where did you find those stepping stones? My kiddos would love those!!!
Here are the stepping domes you saw in originalkat's photos

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/p%7CHH528~~.jsp
MonkeyingAround 11:42 AM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by blackcat31:
here are the stepping domes you saw in originalkat's photos

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/p%7chh528~~.jsp
thank you!!!
mema 12:24 PM 07-16-2013
I have an 8-in-1, picnic table, a few plastic chairs, a little tykes house, a wooden house, ride on's, turtle sandbox (no one ever uses it-it's going away soon), cars, balls, buckets, tools, chalk, an old ladder ball set from pipes that are missing pieces so the kids just use them to build, a ton of trees which is great for shade and leaves in the fall (over 90 mulched bags), lots of bugs and birds, jump ropes, and a few misc toys.
Tags:backyard items, play area - outdoor
Reply Up