Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With An Aggressive 19 Month Old...Please!
melilley 10:33 AM 04-23-2013
I have a 19 mo. old dcb who is constantly pushing, pulling hair, hitting, and bites the other children occasionally. He can't say any words yet, but fully understands what you say because if you ask him to do things, he will. I have talked to the parents and according to them, he came from a family daycare where the majority of the children were older than him and they did all those things to them so they say that that's where he gets it from. They also said that he does those things at home. The other daycare provider used to put him in time out and the parents do, but I do not think that that's an effective way to show him that his behavior is unacceptable. I have had one parent complaint because he has bit their son twice. I do try to shadow him or keep him separate from the children, but with me here by myself with 4-6 children, I can't always do that. I really want to work with him and from experience from being in this field for almost 15 years, I know that that is how some children are, but I need some advice on how or what to do. I've had biters before and hitters before, but that was when I was in a center and I had help. I really don't want to dis-enroll him, but if it's going to be a safety issue, I may have to.

Does anyone have any advice on how to or how I can teach him that it hurts when he does these things? Thanks!
Up