Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Socially Awkward Teacher...Help
amayxen 07:42 PM 07-27-2018
So I just started working at this new daycare about almost 3 weeks now in the infant room. Since the enviornment is new, the babies, and the parents. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if they even like me. I worked with this other girl during these weeks and she is just the small talk queen! However, she has been there 3 years. The parents look at me sometimes as if they want to say something to me or i say something to them and it just seems awkward. But they are aware that i adore their babies so much and i always welcome them both with smiles and hello's. I feel like maybe over time I will get out of my comfort zone and it will come natural for me to be more open with the parents? I overheard my director mentioning to my coworkers that I didn't say hi to one of the parents, while she was talking to them! I didn't because i thought that would be simply rude...My feeling are a little hurt because I do like my job with the babies.
Rockgirl 05:49 AM 07-28-2018
Maybe start out by saying a small detail about the baby’s day when the parent comes for pickup. “He really enjoyed his food today” or “She’s trying so hard to scoot—it won’t be long now!”

It would help break the ice, plus let parents know you are attentive to their babies.

Good luck!
amayxen 05:55 AM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Maybe start out by saying a small detail about the baby’s day when the parent comes for pickup. “He really enjoyed his food today” or “She’s trying so hard to scoot—it won’t be long now!”

It would help break the ice, plus let parents know you are attentive to their babies.

Good luck!
Thanks! but its like i do try to do these things . but its like she beats me to the punch to commuicate with the parents and im just a ghost and nothing left for me to say
Unregistered 06:11 AM 07-28-2018
If she is actively talking to the parents already, a smile and wave while you are actively engaged with the other children should be fine.
amayxen 06:13 AM 07-28-2018
fixed it.
amayxen 06:14 AM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If she is actively talking to the parents already, a smile and wave while you are actively engaged with the other children should be fine.
thank you. all of the things you and the other poster has said is what i do all the time. but it just seems like its not enough for my director. ugh...
e.j. 07:08 AM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by amayxen:
thank you. all of the things you and the other poster has said is what i do all the time. but it just seems like its not enough for my director. ugh...
Try being proactive. Ask your director if you can speak with her when she has a minute and then ask her how she feels you're doing so far. Explain that you enjoy the job and where you're so new there, you want to make sure you're meeting her expectations.

You could also mention that you happened to overhear her comment to the co-worker and ask for guidance. Explain why you didn't say hello and ask what she would rather you do if you find yourself in the same situation again. (Just make sure you don't come across as whiny or defensive.) I know it can be uncomfortable to have such a direct conversation but it'll be easier in the long run if you know what's expected of you and your director may appreciate your attempt at open communication, as well. Good luck. I hope things work out for you.
racemom 09:37 AM 07-28-2018
Its ok if you struggle talking to the parents, as long as they see you are great with their child. I am also not great at talking to the parents, but remember as long as the babies are happy and you greet them each day, the parents will be happy. Most of the time the most I say to the parents is Hi when they come in and have a great day when they leave. If the ask questions about their child I answer or if thwir child did something special i might mention it but that is all, no small talk for me.
Josiegirl 01:04 PM 07-28-2018
Is the issue because you're working with a chatty cathy type and the parents seem to like that a lot of info is offered to them without them asking? If so, adults should know that everybody is different, doesn't make them better or worse. I have my chatty days and my days where I'm screaming inside my head 'just go already'. But I always give them a smile and a basic 'we had a fun day, he was really helpful picking up his toys today' or 'we have a couple issues we need to work on like what things a good friend can do', just something simple like that. Do daily notes go home, because that can offer more info and then the parent may have questions for you or conversation starters around the dinner table(hopefully )for their child.

I am one off the most socially awkward people I know and would rather be a gnat in a group of people than have someone speak to me. One on one and I'm okay. Sometimes we have to push ourselves. And I don't understand what the director wanted you to say while she was talking with the parent? Manners mean you don't interrupt.
I like the proactive route suggested by a PP too. Good way to keep honest communication open right from the get go. When things are left unsaid, everybody always starts to question themselves and others.

Good luck and hope you start feeling more comfortable in your job!!
Tags:awkward teacher, director issues, socially awkward
Reply Up