Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Afterschool Routine for Afterschool DCKs?
Soccermom 11:54 AM 09-06-2012
Hi, I have added some new kids to my group this year. (I have an inhome before and afterschool daycare). I find with the new additions, there is A LOT of energy filling our small home every morning and afternoon and wonder if the kids will ever settle in. LOL! For those who care for the afterschool crew - Do you have a set routine or curriculum that you do every day or do you just kinda let the kids hang out?
cheerfuldom 12:21 PM 09-06-2012
I have done schoolagers but only temporarily...you are right, there is a lot of energy there and it doesnt work out for my group on a permanent basis. I wouldnt do any sort of curriculum but I would do a routine. Too much freedom and this age will really get into trouble. I would do a small snack, homework time, outside time if possible, then give them a choice of approved activities versus them coming up with their own entertainment

I would keep it relaxed but definitely letting the older kids know that your home is not a free for all. Let them know where they are allowed to go and what they are allowed to do.
Angelsj 05:57 PM 09-06-2012
Outside, outside, outside!!
We get a small snack, then head out the door. Usually, the younger ones are ready for a bit more outside time and it is starting to cool off.

I don't do homework, but if you have the time and you want to do it, that might be interesting as well.
Countrygal 03:58 AM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Outside, outside, outside!!
We get a small snack, then head out the door. Usually, the younger ones are ready for a bit more outside time and it is starting to cool off.

I don't do homework, but if you have the time and you want to do it, that might be interesting as well.
This or videos. Kids need unwind time just like adults. We use the videos if the littles are still napping but if not, we all head out - weather permitting.

Sometimes we have a quick craft or activity. Depends more on how much time I have to prepare. Look forward to some additional ideas!
daycarediva 04:23 AM 09-07-2012
They come in, put shoes and things away, sit at the table, we do "high point of day/low point of day" and then they eat snack. Then we all go outside, I sometimes do relay race type things with their sight words or math facts. (ie. walk along this beam, run up the slide down the ladder, jump up and down 3 times, read this sight word, make it to the playhouse before the other kids. Rinse and repeat. I can do this while the littles play on the tot lot easily and it gets that energy out. If I have a kid with a pick up that doesn't allow us to be outside right away or the weather is bad, they can work on homework quietly, get into the arts and crafts or get a book or board game until pick up.
AfterSchoolMom 04:48 AM 09-07-2012
ITA with everyone else - snack, outside, then homework and quiet activities. I always do a craft on Fridays because the kids don't generally get assigned weekend homework. We do "dance party" on rainy days, or movie time.
Reply Up