Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snack Question--What Do You Usually Serve?
SilverSabre25 07:04 AM 01-10-2011
I get so tired of planning out 15 meals and 10 snacks a week. Meals I'm mostly okay with, but it's the darn snacks that keep getting me the most annoyed. I feel like I get stuck in ruts of the same types of things (crackery thing and a fruit or veggie, for example) snack after snack, day after day. I need new ideas. Morning snacks in particular throw me through a loop for some reason because I have a harder time coming up with things that feel like appropriate "morning snack" foods, iykwim. I serve Breakfast, AM snack, lunch, PM snack.
AfterSchoolMom 07:08 AM 01-10-2011
Do your snacks have to include certain food groups? What ages do you have?
SilverSabre25 07:11 AM 01-10-2011
My snacks don't HAVE to include anything in particular as I'm not on the food program, but I do try to keep those guidelines in mind when planning. I tend to give water to drink with snack, and prefer to keep in that way, and we avoid juice and sweets most of the time (I'm okay with once a week or so).

I have 14 months through 3 years. No major allergies.
AnythingsPossible 07:40 AM 01-10-2011
What is your time span between breakfast and lunch? I don't offer a morning snack, because it seems if they have a morning snack, they don't eat a good lunch. The only times we do morning snack is when everyone has already eaten breakfast before they get here...very rare occasion!
For morning snack, I think crackers and such work best. They don't need a lot, maybe half a banana, cut up and apple for them. I realize those are the things you are getting tired of, but for mornings, I think they are the best option.
My afternoon snacks are fairly easy as well, and I try to mix them up between quick and easy, and more involved. We have a sweet snack once a week, home made cookies or bars of some kind. My last three weeks of snacks;
Butterscotch cookie and Milk, HM Potato Skins and Cheese, Milk and Granola Bar, Banana and Cinnamon Tortilla, Grape Juice and Muffin, Fun Cereal and Milk, Crackers and Cheese, Smores Bars and Milk, Parmesean Toasts wth Sauce, Soft Pretzel Bites wth Cheese Sauce, Grapes and Cheese Cubes, Apples and yogurt dip, Pretzel Mix up wth Juice, Veggie Sticks with Cottage Cheese, Half Hot Dog wth Fries (we had very light lunch and brkfast this day)
Lianne 07:42 AM 01-10-2011
I don't serve breakfast and I no longer do a morning snack, either. I found that even just serving a small portion of fruit caused the kids to not eat lunch. Most of my kids arrive between 8am and 9am and have just eaten breakfast. They can last til 11:30 when we have lunch. So, I just plan lunches and an afternoon snack each day plus my own dinner. Leftover lunch often becomes my dinner or vice versa. My kids hate interrupting their playtime to sit at the kitchen table for snack so I usually just leave a couple bowls out on our preschool table for them to help themselves. We usually do a grain/carb and a fruit/veg for snack. I use dry cereals a lot because I figure they're probably a bit healthier than crackers. I might put out Chex or Cheerios or Corn Bran, Fish crackers or generic animal crackers, rice cakes, pretzels, popcorn (depending on ages). For fruit, I put out what I have on hand that's not messy - peeled clementines, grapes, blueberries, apples, etc. Sometimes I just put a veggie tray out with some dip. On Fridays I put out whatever produce needs to be used up before the weekend so it's often a mismash of fruits and veggies. The kids' favorite snack is sliced apples and cheese. Sometimes I'll add some crackers but they especially like it if I add pickles/olives and keilbasa. I use segmented vegetable serving trays a lot, they're very handy.
SilverSabre25 07:54 AM 01-10-2011
Mealtimes:
Breakfast 8
snack 10:30
lunch 12:30
snack 3:30

Everyone seems to eat lunch just fine even with having had snack 2 hours previous. I don't do much, but usually try to hit two different food groups to encourage the pickier ones to eat a bigger variety. Part of me wishes I could skip breakfast and AM snack, but with the times that my dcks get here and when my own DD gets up and eats, I know I couldn't manage it. I also don't trust even my late arrivals to have eaten before they get here...

I'm really just looking for more ideas since I feel like I'm in such a rut.
laundrymom 08:10 AM 01-10-2011
I do an 830 snack and an 1130 lunch. Then a 230 snack.
AnythingsPossible 08:38 AM 01-10-2011
Here are 27 snack ideas from my food program workbook.
Milk and Ritz, Cheese and Toasted Bread, Yogurt and Strawberries, Salami/bologna and Triscuit, Apple Juice and Fig Newtons, Eggs and Cantaloupe, Nuggets and Carrot Sticks, Banana and Cinnamon Tortilla, Applesauce and Nilla Wafers, Bread Sticks and Sauce, Apples and PB, Carrot/Celery and Wheat thins, Veg Soup and Crackers, Apple Juice and Granola Bar, biscuit and sausage, english muffin and cheese, hard boiled egg and honeydew, oranges and banana bars, zucchini bread and milk, pineapple and cottage cheese, french fries and hot dogs, pears and cinnamon rolls, milk and brownies, milk and cinnamon toast, bagel and strawberries.
If your interested, I will post more later.
SoldiersAngels 08:50 AM 01-10-2011
Those are great snack ideas!!
tenderhearts 09:00 AM 01-10-2011
My dck love apples with peanut butter, a frozen gogurt & milk , or apples with peanut butter, raisins & milk, or banana and graham crackers and milk, string cheese is a nother favorite served with a fruit and milk.
ammama 09:05 AM 01-10-2011
I don't do breakfast, only morning snack at 9:30 and lunch at 11:30. Morning snack is almost always a hot cereal (oatmeal, red river cereal, cream of wheat, millet, rice pudding etc) with fruit cooked into it, or on the side. The kids like knowing what is coming. I don't think they get bored of it, I don't get any complaints, and it is something nice and warming, especially in the winter
boysx5 09:09 AM 01-10-2011
I do one snack a day here is my list I have one child with a peanut allergry so we do peanut free here

Ritz crackers
Fruit snacks
Nilla wafers
goldfish
pretzels
jello
applesauce
fruit cocktail
fruit roll ups
brownies only if I make them
saltine crackers
graham crackers
E Daycare 09:32 AM 01-10-2011
I make a lot of my own home made snacks and get a lot of my ideas from www.weelicious.com.

Currently Im serving this week:

Home made applesauce with Cinnamon
Home made graham crackers
Yogurt parfait made with vanilla yogurt, chopped up cherries and chopped up kiwi
Lean turkey and wheat crackers
Dried fruit
cottage cheese with mixed fruit
Rice cakes
Strawberries, cantaloupe, pears, avocados, green/red and yellow peppers and cherries.

I always keep on hand:

100 calorie packs of cheese, cheese crackers and cookies
Animal crackers
Whole grain gold fish crackers
Gerber crunchies puffs
Gerber yogurt melts
Gerber fruit snacks
Gerber breakfast bars
Mum Mums

I try to feed the kids as healthy and homemade as possible (since Im already doing so for myself) as to keep the sugar at bay but sometimes the kids are picky so I keep the other snacks on hand for fussy days. Weelicious is awesome!
WImom 11:07 AM 01-10-2011
Never heard of Weelicious. Love the site. Thanks for posting it.

I will be trying some new receipes this week from there. I feel like my kids and dc kids eat too many crackers.
AfterSchoolMom 11:17 AM 01-10-2011
Frozen yogurt tubes
Mini bagels with PB/butter/honey/jelly/apple butter/cream cheese/whatever
cut up bananas, apples, or melon
trail mix
goldfish crackers
muffins
carrots or celery with dip
Apples with yogurt dip
granola bars
yogurt with fruit and granola
waffles
toast
animal crackers with yogurt dip
mini PB and J - use a cookie cutter to make bite sized pieces - 2 sandwiches can serve several this way (really any sandwich would work)
turkey pepperoni
cheese cubes
string cheese
graham crackers
mini pizzas (made with english muffins)

That's all I've got for now. Hope this helps!
Missani 11:22 AM 01-10-2011
tortillas with a little butter, cinnamon and sugar (microwave and roll up)
nutella spread on wheat bread
crackers with cream cheese and raisins
string cheese with any fruit
mini bagels with cream cheese
trail mix
vanilla pudding
peanut butter and jelly roll up (tortilla w/ pbj)
cottage cheese and canned peaches (mixed)
fruit smoothies
fruit pizza (refrigerated sugar cookie crust, cream cheese/little whipped cream, then top with any kind of fruit)
raisin bread toast
homemade muffins
yogurt with granola
cereal bars
granola bars

My morning snack "go to" is always graham crackers but that is "crackery" so don't know if that helps. They also love them spread with peanut butter
Nebula 10:31 AM 06-19-2013
I too am having trouble "snack storming" lol

I decided to do a four week rotational menu (I have to include 2 food groups per snack and all 4 for meals)

AM Snack: 9:00
Lunch: 11:30
PM Snack: After nap, generally about 2:30 - 3:00

These are some great ideas!
Josiegirl 11:09 AM 06-19-2013
One of my kids' fav snacks is kabobs, alternating chunks of cheddar cheese, ham, pineapple and grapes.
And peanut butter with just about anything.
Today we're having trail mix, honey roasted peanuts, honey nut cheerios, kix, and whatever kind of cereals I have left that needs to be finished, all mixed together.
2grls4us 01:31 PM 07-10-2013
I have the same age group. I do string cheese sticks, goldfish crackers, yogurt single serving cups, fruit/grain bars. They all get excited when I pull out yogurt cups they love them and good for them. I actually found a brand at walmart that is 4 oz cups and come in a 4 cup pack for $1.
Familycare71 01:41 PM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
Never heard of Weelicious. Love the site. Thanks for posting it.

I will be trying some new receipes this week from there. I feel like my kids and dc kids eat too many crackers.
Me too!!!
daycare 01:46 PM 07-10-2013
while the kids are napping, I cut up tons of fruit and veggies.....

I make kale chips alot and those are my grain....

I bought a massive pack of coffee filters the old cup style. I use those to serve in.

I fill them with cheese, kale chips, carrots, very small drop of yogurt to dip with, cucumbers, apples, strawberries, and etc.

one thing we have fun with is making smoothies....
daycarediva 02:44 PM 07-10-2013
this is an old thread, but my kids LOVE smoothies! Yogurt and a bag of frozen fruit (peaches or mixed berries or just strawberries, blueberries, whatever) they devour them!
AmyKidsCo 05:36 PM 07-10-2013
I do breakfast, lunch and PM snack, and have a template for snacks to make planning easier:
Mondays are cheese & fruit or vegetable
Tuesdays are rice cakes & fruit or vegetable
Wednesdays are something more complicated/time consuming
Thursdays are yogurt & fruit
Fridays are crackers & fruit.

You can see my menus here:
http://www.appleton-child-care.com/c...re-menus.shtml
LK5kids 06:23 PM 07-10-2013
I have menu ADD...I have to have lots of variety

Organic yogurt tubes or cups of organic yogurt
Annie's new graham crackers
Back to Nature Madagascar Vanilla wafers....at least a little fiber!
Watermelon
Annie's bunny crackers
String cheese
Peanut butter and apple slices or apple rings
Olives, avocado slices, and cheese slices or olives and cheese cubes on a small pretzel rod
Homemade banana bread
Homemade granola bars
Homemade blueberry oat muffins

Extra special trail mix-it has honey nut cheerios, kashi honey sunshine cereal, peanut butter, craisins, raisins, pretzels, chocolate chips...I sometimes put in Annies bunny mix.

I usually serve steamed veggies at lunch but my kids LOVE canned carrots, so I serve them for snack with crackers

Hummus and whole grain chips
fruit tacos
fruit salsa with homemade cinnamon tortilla chips for scooping
bananas with peanut butter
rolled up deli turkey and cheese
cucumbers & green pepper slices and dip
Cottage cheese and pineapple
Smoothies
Homemade Pumpkin Oatmeal cookies

Fish crackers, peanut butter, large rod pretzel .....for fishing! They Love it!
Chocolate or frosted mini wheats (dry) & fresh fruit

Homemade tapioca pudding (easy to make with instant tapioca...at least it has eggs and milk but is sweet)

No-bake cookies....I cut the sugar down...they are sweet too!

Some of these may lend themselves to p.m. snack more than a.m. I was just tossing out ideas for snacks I serve.
Josiegirl 04:49 PM 07-12-2013
Fruit salad, made with watermelon, mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, grapes, bananas, cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries, whatever is yummy at the moment.
Fruit popsicles, the homemade kind where you can put your own healthy ingredients in, like yogurt and frozen fruit.
Ham and Cheddar chunks, pineapple chunks, ritz crackers
Plain cheese quesadillas
Mini corn muffins
String cheese
Crackers and peanut butter(we're pb-aholics here)
Trail mix using cereals, goldfish crackers and honey roasted peanuts(of course being careful with that one)
Veggie platter with dip
Small flavored rice cakes
Animal crackers
Yogurts
Someone on here has fruit kabobs that look like a rainbow, as their avatar, I want to make that with the kiddos.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

Oops, already replied to this topic. You can tell it's Friday, brain has turned to mush.
WImom 05:22 PM 07-13-2013
This week's Snacks are:

Plain yogurt w/Strawberries Slices
Banana Bread and Milk

Watermelon and Pretzels
Tortilla w/Melted Cheese

Crackers and Cheese
Graham Cracker w/PB and Raisins

1/2 Banana and Wheat Thins
Toast w/Fruit Spread

Carrots, Crackers and Ranch Dip
Hummus and Pita Chips
Unregistered 07:14 PM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
while the kids are napping, I cut up tons of fruit and veggies.....

I make kale chips alot and those are my grain....

I bought a massive pack of coffee filters the old cup style. I use those to serve in.

I fill them with cheese, kale chips, carrots, very small drop of yogurt to dip with, cucumbers, apples, strawberries, and etc.

one thing we have fun with is making smoothies....
I've tried to make kale chips for the kiddos to mixed reviews,lol. Mostly I have a hard time getting them crispy without burning. Are you on a food program? If so, can you sub kale chips for grain? I feel my kids get too much grains as is and I hate serving crackery things all the time, so bad for teeth. We do green smoothies a lot too. I call them 'shrek' smoothies and they love them.
Josiegirl 03:18 AM 08-10-2015
What goes into your green smoothies? Do they actually taste green? If some of my dcks even suspect a smidgeon of anything green, they'll avoid it plus talk all the others into avoiding it.
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 08-10-2015
We tried kale chips once, wasn't a favorite. We also did roasted chick peas, which I love, but there again....it seems as if the food doesn't come highly processed, sugared, weighed down with fat, they're very reluctant to try it.
Indianadaycare 08:15 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I make a lot of my own home made snacks and get a lot of my ideas from www.weelicious.com.

Currently Im serving this week:

Home made applesauce with Cinnamon
Home made graham crackers
Yogurt parfait made with vanilla yogurt, chopped up cherries and chopped up kiwi
Lean turkey and wheat crackers
Dried fruit
cottage cheese with mixed fruit
Rice cakes
Strawberries, cantaloupe, pears, avocados, green/red and yellow peppers and cherries.

I always keep on hand:

100 calorie packs of cheese, cheese crackers and cookies
Animal crackers
Whole grain gold fish crackers
Gerber crunchies puffs
Gerber yogurt melts
Gerber fruit snacks
Gerber breakfast bars
Mum Mums

I try to feed the kids as healthy and homemade as possible (since Im already doing so for myself) as to keep the sugar at bay but sometimes the kids are picky so I keep the other snacks on hand for fussy days. Weelicious is awesome!
Thanks for posting the link!
Indianadaycare 08:22 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What goes into your green smoothies? Do they actually taste green? If some of my dcks even suspect a smidgeon of anything green, they'll avoid it plus talk all the others into avoiding it.
My toddlers LOVE green smoothies. We have them 2-3x week for snack. I have a couple recipes but the one below is the one most often made.

2 cups filtered cold water
1/2 cup any kind of milk (I use soy. I have one who has a milk allergy)
1 cup straw or blueberries, cold or frozen
1 ripe banana
2 handfuls spinach
1 huge kale leaf
few drops of Stevia
dash vanilla

This makes about 32 oz. You can use a regular blender for this.

Honestly, I'm surprised they like it! I was prepared to make it sweeter with more fruit or a sweeter fruit, but tried this first and they loved it, so I kept it the same.
You can find LOTS of green smoothie recipes online. My parents love knowing their little one is getting leafy greens and other good food in their smoothies!
childcaremom 08:41 AM 08-10-2015
Ha! Mine, too. I started calling them green monster smoothies. They tried them that morning. Didn't like the kale one as much as the spinach, one.

I made turkey nuggets one day for lunch and they turned up their noses and wouldn't even try a bite. Next time I served them I called them chicken nuggets. Gobbled them right up (no pun intended).

Smoothie #1.
Orange juice (about 2 cups)
2 kale stalks
2 bananas
I use a blendtec but it still feels a bit gritty. Might be different with only 1 stalk.

Smoothie #2
Orange juice (about 1.5 cups)
Banana
Handful of baby spinach
1 c frozen berries
This one isn't really green, depending on your berry choice, but doesn't look too appetizing either. Give it a fancy name and they might like it This is my favourite and does not taste like greens at all.
childcaremom 08:45 AM 08-10-2015
My current group is 12 mos - 3.5 years. I am not on any food programs.

Morning: (8:30)
Fruit, 2 options (eg: banana, clementines, strawberries, kiwi, etc)
Yogurt or applesauce
Muffin, cheerios, banana bites, oatmeal, toast, etc

Afternoon: (3:00)
Veggies, 2 options (eg: cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, pepper strips, avocado, etc) with dip (hummus, guac, etc)
Cheese or cottage cheese
Crackers, homemade breadstick, rice cakes with spread,
Will occasionally vary things up with raisins, grapes, apple
auntymimi 07:30 PM 08-10-2015
It really just depends on the type and how much greens you put into it. I usually use baby spinach in the kiddos along with a banana, pineapple or other citrus, a little peach or a few berries (to many red fruits will make it an unappetizing looking muddy color) sometimes a quarter of an avocado. I never make it with them 'watching', and don't tell them it contains spinach. I just call it a shrek smoothie and they love it. Most of them have grown up with my "weird food" though.
Controlled Chaos 12:16 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
It really just depends on the type and how much greens you put into it. I usually use baby spinach in the kiddos along with a banana, pineapple or other citrus, a little peach or a few berries (to many red fruits will make it an unappetizing looking muddy color) sometimes a quarter of an avocado. I never make it with them 'watching', and don't tell them it contains spinach. I just call it a shrek smoothie and they love it. Most of them have grown up with my "weird food" though.
I make scrambled eggs with A LOT of spinach in them We call the spinach shamrocks lol
Unregistered 01:10 PM 08-11-2015
I keep it simple. We either do a meat/cheese and fruit, crackers and fruit, or crackers and meat/cheese.
Tags:snack menu, snacks
Reply Up