Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Super Picky Eaters....
SJT43015 05:16 AM 01-23-2014
I'm looking for breakfast and lunch ideas for kids. My son is 2 and my dcg is 3. Dcg only wants mac & cheese, even though I don't make it every day. My son wasn't a picky eater and suddenly about a month ago he started getting very picky and I feel like I'm throwing away a lot of food during the day.

Any menu ideas or suggestions on how to get the kids to come out of the picky stage is greatly appreciated.
Meyou 05:25 AM 01-23-2014
In my opinion you would do better preparing the same thing for everyone and then they can chose to eat it or not. I don't cater to food pickiness and I've never had a child starve from pickiness. They always come around if they know they won't get what they want.
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
In my opinion you would do better preparing the same thing for everyone and then they can chose to eat it or not. I don't cater to food pickiness and I've never had a child starve from pickiness. They always come around if they know they won't get what they want.
Yep. YOU are the adult. Make the food you have planned each day and serve.

The rest is up to the kids. Eat or don't eat.

If you make alternatives or give in or feel bad because they are hungry, they you will only amplify the issue and perhaps even make it worse by teaching the kids that you will give in or make exceptions.

Make healthy well balanced meals and serve them.

If the kids don't eat, they will be hungry....which is a natural consequence....which helps steer them in the right direction...which is choosing to eat when the next meal/snack is served.

The less fuss/issue you make of it...the better results you will have.
DaycareMom 08:45 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by SJT43015:
I'm looking for breakfast and lunch ideas for kids. My son is 2 and my dcg is 3. Dcg only wants mac & cheese, even though I don't make it every day. My son wasn't a picky eater and suddenly about a month ago he started getting very picky and I feel like I'm throwing away a lot of food during the day.

Any menu ideas or suggestions on how to get the kids to come out of the picky stage is greatly appreciated.
I agree with the others. Only make one meal for everyone. If they eat they eat, if not - oh well!

That being said, my kids were super picky so I found making more bland things helped - breakfast was things like toast, pancakes, waffles, cereal, etc. I always include a fruit of some sort and a dairy like yogurt or cheese.

For lunch, you can make things like HM mac and cheese, HM pizza, PB & J, PB and bananas, Grilled cheese. They don't sound like the healthiest of meals but if you make it homemade, it CAN be healthy and sometimes sneak veggies in your meals (like broccoli in the mac and cheese). Again, I always serve with a fruit or veggie. Try to introduce new meals every week and keep serving that meal every week until they will start eating it.

I know how frustrating it can be throwing away food! Good luck!
ColorfulSunburst 09:08 AM 01-23-2014
I never worried how much my children ate. Don't want eat breakfast ? Go and play. You will not get food before lunch. Don't want eat your lunch? OK. Next food will served at 4p.m. ...

It works good.
Tags:consistency, menus, picky eater, picky eaters
Reply Up