Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Long Time Family Kicked Out Of Daycare
Unregistered 11:44 PM 09-24-2012
I have been going to this daycare now for almost 5 years
I have had my third child enrolled now for 6 months. Today when I got to the daycare i was informed that someone had called licensing and reported her due to too many kids. She had 16 and was over 2 toddlers and 1reported infant. She had me sign a document stating that i received the report than proceeded to tell me that she had choose me because I have 1 toddler and 1 infant and that is what she has to let go. There have been family that have come after me but she choose me. She has never warned me about anything, i have never been nor have my children been written up for anything and I have never in that time not paid her. What are my rights? Unfortunately we are in the process of moving right now and I don't have a copy of my contract to know if there is anything in there stating she can do this.
rhymia1 03:11 AM 09-25-2012
I don't think you have any "rights" when it comes to DC. It's a private business and can decide to let go of a family at any time. Maybe she assumed because you were moving you would be pulling anyway? It stinks that she did that to you, but I would be counting your blessings right now. For me, ratios are a big deal. They are in place for a reason. Maybe your provder didn't realize she was out of ratio, although I find that hard to believe. Maybe she is a provider who had a hard time saying "No" to a client (which creates dangerous situations)and should have told you when you wanted to place your infant that she could not. But the more likely situation is that she didn't see the rule as a "big" deal, and felt she could get away with it. And then you wonder what other rules she views as unnecessary. Yup, I'd be couting my blessings right now - the main one being that nothing bad happened to my children while they were in her care.
Angelsj 05:12 AM 09-25-2012
16?? Is there a state that allows this, or does she have assistants? I agree, count your blessings. If you paid a deposit, or paid ahead, I would get that back. You didn't pull your kids, and she was illegal, so you have right to that money, if it exists.
cheerfuldom 06:31 AM 09-25-2012
She should have a signed copy of your contract and be able to provide you an additional copy. Make sure she is abiding by the contract as far as her rules on deposit, notice period, etc. Other than that, you dont have any "rights" to demand that she keep your family over another family. As a PP said, this is a private business. She doesnt HAVE to work with you. And if she knowingly runs over ratio and doesnt want your family at this point anyway, why would you want to insist she keep you?
Crazy8 06:40 AM 09-25-2012
she made a business decision, don't take it so personally. First off, she shouldn't have been running over her numbers but since she was she needed to get them into ratio - sounds like terming your family was the option over maybe terming 2 other families. Business decision. Maybe your rate is lower than others (sibling discount, been there longer/didn't raise rates, etc.) - there could be any reason she chose your family to terminate.

I'm not sure any of us have a clause in our contracts for "if we are over numbers and have to terminate". She can't give notice - she needs to reduce her numbers NOW but she should be fair and give you your deposit back in this case. You do not have any rights to choose who she terminates, there is no "seniority rules" in a home daycare. The provider needs to decide who the best fit is for their daycare based not only on personality/temperament but on ages, longevity of the family and so many other factors.
joysjustlikehome 07:07 AM 09-25-2012
You should feel like you are the lucky one even though it's hard right now. If she is breaking that rule what others is she breaking. The rules are there for a reason - the safety of your children. Count your blessings. Good luck on your move and finding great child care! ~Joy
Willow 09:20 AM 09-25-2012
As a parent I would not have given the provider the option to "kick" my family out, I plain and simple would have left on my own accord. I would have also had some pretty harsh parting words and shared with others why my family no longer attends the childcare.

I love my children far too much to be leaving them in the care of someone who has such blatant disregard of the laws that are in place to keep them safe.

I certainly wouldn't be fighting over who should get to stay.

Providers that pull that stunt in particular disgust me. It's all about cramming 'em in to rake in as much money as possible
youretooloud 09:22 AM 09-25-2012
I'm so sorry. This is very stressful for you... it probably feels like you are being ambushed with too much right now.

Unfortunately from a business standpoint, you were the obvious victim since dropping just your family will put her under her limits, and I'm sure she did the math to figure out how to do this while impacting the least amount of people.

But, I am very, very sorry... I know how hard it is here to find infant care, so you are in a really tough position. With moving too, it's going to be hard.

Is there anyway we can help you? Maybe if you tell us your general location, someone here might know of openings, or have a referral site that can help you quickly.
rhymia1 09:31 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
As a parent I would not have given the provider the option to "kick" my family out, I plain and simple would have left on my own accord. I would have also had some pretty harsh parting words and shared with others why my family no longer attends the childcare.

I love my children far too much to be leaving them in the care of someone who has such blatant disregard of the laws that are in place to keep them safe.

I certainly wouldn't be fighting over who should get to stay.

Providers that pull that stunt in particular disgust me. It's all about cramming 'em in to rake in as much money as possible

I agree.
DCMom 12:21 PM 09-25-2012
I agree with Willow on this one.

Sounds like she had a visit from licensing and getting within ratios the quickest way possible. She knew she was over and got caught ~ unfortunately you are paying the price. Providers like this give us all a bad name.

Really, this is a blessing in disguise for you.
Reply Up