Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nervous. Tell Me I Shouldn't Be!?
Unregistered 04:30 AM 04-21-2015
I'm posting my summer vacation, closures and what holidays I'm closed for May-September today. I'm super nervous parents are going to be annoyed!! I'm taking the regular holidays in May, July, August and September plus 2 extra days in July to make a long weekend. A week off in August and an extra day in September before school starts to make a long weekend. Total I am taking 8 days not including the normal holidays. I deserve this right!?!
Gemma 04:42 AM 04-21-2015
The way I see it, parents plan their vacations without an ounce of consideration for the impact their absence might have in our lives, so post your note and let them figure out what they need to do to adjust.
Second Home 05:07 AM 04-21-2015
You will never be able to please everyone . Just take what you feel you need and don't worry about who might get mad .
Blackcat31 05:25 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
The way I see it, parents plan their vacations without an ounce of consideration for the impact their absence might have in our lives, so post your note and let them figure out what they need to do to adjust.
While I "kind of" understand this line of thinking; I don't understand this line of thinking... kwim?

How does a child's/family's absence have an impact on our lives? Other than the child being physically absent thus making our work load lighter...

I've read something similar twice yesterday and now today so I am just trying to grasp on this thought... not trying to be rude.... I just don't understand that idea/concept.

Originally Posted by Second Home:
You will never be able to please everyone . Just take what you feel you need and don't worry about who might get mad .
This ^^ is the advice I would give too.

You are a small business owner. YOU get to decide what services you offer and when. YOU don't have to feel guilty for your decisions nor do you need to feel badly about them and whether or not they are an inconvenience to daycare families. Set your policies and rules to meet YOUR needs and if you give plenty of notice, there is NO reason to feel bad about anything.

DaveA 05:29 AM 04-21-2015

This. It's your business and you decide how to best run it to suit your family's needs.
Martha Stewart 06:07 AM 04-21-2015
The number one regret I have had, as I close my business, is that I didn't take time for my own children, my own family, and myself. I took less than 5 vacation days a year (aside from the big holidays). I didn't take off for a 3 day weekend with my husband, I shorted vacations, I missed the first days of kindergarten, classroom parties, lazy days at the pool occasionally. I was always so worried that I'd lose business for taking vacation, a sick day or a personal day. I've neglected my dental care because it would be inconvenient to take a half day, ignored or postponed doctor appointments. In hindsight, I would tell you that my putting the daycare above myself, and not taking the time has in a very large way led to serious burn out. If I could go back, I'd take the same vacations my clients can take, I'd take the time and risk losing a client.
kitykids3 06:42 AM 04-21-2015
I always feel the same way too. That's why it's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk.
Crazy8 06:53 AM 04-21-2015
Does your contract state how many vacation days you take per year, holidays, etc.? I wouldn't be at all nervous unless there has been no indication that you'd be taking any time off! And even if that is the case you deserve the time, I'm just saying that would cause me to be a little nervous, but if they know you get vacation time and you are just setting the dates, nope, wouldn't be nervous at all.
Unregistered 07:23 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Does your contract state how many vacation days you take per year, holidays, etc.? I wouldn't be at all nervous unless there has been no indication that you'd be taking any time off! And even if that is the case you deserve the time, I'm just saying that would cause me to be a little nervous, but if they know you get vacation time and you are just setting the dates, nope, wouldn't be nervous at all.
I have in it that I will be taking 5-7 that's between July and August and I would post by May 15 which days. So the only day I don't have allotted for is the September day.

Thank you so much everyone my family is so important to me. They all get time off with their families I deserve it to!
LysesKids 08:04 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm posting my summer vacation, closures and what holidays I'm closed for May-September today. I'm super nervous parents are going to be annoyed!! I'm taking the regular holidays in May, July, August and September plus 2 extra days in July to make a long weekend. A week off in August and an extra day in September before school starts to make a long weekend. Total I am taking 8 days not including the normal holidays. I deserve this right!?!
Take your days and don't worry... I wish I had planned more time off earlier in my career; Now I base my fees off 48 weeks a year - I tell my parents I take 3 unpaid weeks (one in early summer, the two others between Thanksgiving & New years) and 5 Major holidays off. I have my Thanksgiving week planned already... I'm flying into LA, then driving down to Long Beach for a few days. I figured nobody will be flying home on Black Friday lol. My kids & grands get me at Christmas this year (Last year I saw them at Thanksgiving & took a trip at Christmas).
Snowmom 09:13 AM 04-21-2015
I completely sympathize. I told my families two months in advance of my upcoming summer vacation (of 1 week), and I had one mom actually stomp her feet like a toddler and tell me "but neither my husband or I have any PTO".
Another pulled their son out a month early stating it just made sense since I was taking vacation.

Oh well.
Your family time and well being is more important than what other families may "need". If they truly value us, they will be glad we're taking a break. If they don't, and you're greeted with lovely statements like mine above...well, then you know who doesn't (and maybe schedule some replacement interviews...like I am!!).
Josiegirl 09:15 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Martha Stewart:
The number one regret I have had, as I close my business, is that I didn't take time for my own children, my own family, and myself. I took less than 5 vacation days a year (aside from the big holidays). I didn't take off for a 3 day weekend with my husband, I shorted vacations, I missed the first days of kindergarten, classroom parties, lazy days at the pool occasionally. I was always so worried that I'd lose business for taking vacation, a sick day or a personal day. I've neglected my dental care because it would be inconvenient to take a half day, ignored or postponed doctor appointments. In hindsight, I would tell you that my putting the daycare above myself, and not taking the time has in a very large way led to serious burn out. If I could go back, I'd take the same vacations my clients can take, I'd take the time and risk losing a client.
^^^^^ All so true. Don't let it happen to you, then when your kids are grown and gone, you have regrets too.
sharlan 09:34 AM 04-21-2015
I am taking my first vacation in 8 years this August. I will be taking a WHOLE WEEK off without providing back up, a first for me in 31 years.

My dh was adopted at birth and is ready to meet his birth family at 60 yrs old. We will be going to San Francisco and meeting his aunt, uncle, cousins, and hopefully his 2 sisters. Sadly, his birth mom died 7 years ago.
rosieteddy 09:37 AM 04-21-2015
I totally agree take the time off .We are only promissed today and families grow up. Also I put in my contract if you are with me in April you owe for two weeks vacation when you give your two weeks notice.Vacation can not be counted as your notice weeks.
originalkat 09:48 AM 04-21-2015
Please do not feel guilty. If there is one thing I have realized, I MUST take the time I need in order to be happy with my career. That is why I am a business owner. To make you feel better, Here are my updated days off:

Provider Vacation
Each calendar year, Green Gate Early Learning will be closed 2 weeks unpaid (10 days not including weekends) for provider’s vacation. Parents will be given as much advance notice as possible, with a minimum of 30 days (usually all dates are given out in August). Parents will be responsible for making alternate childcare arrangements while Green Gate is closed. Please see the current calendar for exact dates.

Holidays
I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round childcare program. I do recognize the needs of working parents and their families, however, holidays and breaks are necessary for the well-being of all. Please see the calendar for specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will close on either the Friday before or the Monday after. We will be closed on the following paid holidays and breaks.
New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
President’s Day
Mini Spring Break (Good Friday & Easter Monday)
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

Provider Personal Leave
Green Gate Early Learning is allotted up to five (5) paid personal days per calendar year for illness, training, or family emergencies/events. Parents are responsible for making alternate arrangements for childcare on provider’s personal days. If I must close on short notice, you will be contacted as soon as possible.
AmyKidsCo 10:56 AM 04-21-2015
When parents question my days off I just tell them that my time off is comparable to anyone who's been in the business for 20 years.

Granted, I haven't had THEM as a client for 20 years, but they are benefiting from my years of experience, without having to go through the first years' bumps and trial/error period.
melilley 10:59 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While I "kind of" understand this line of thinking; I don't understand this line of thinking... kwim?

How does a child's/family's absence have an impact on our lives? Other than the child being physically absent thus making our work load lighter...

I've read something similar twice yesterday and now today so I am just trying to grasp on this thought... not trying to be rude.... I just don't understand that idea/concept.

I'm thinking she's probably a provider who doesn't charge for vacations, that's all I can think of as to why/how a child's absence would have an impact.

OP, I always give families a list of my planned days off at the beginning of the year and parents have to sign that they have read and agree to it. That way, I know that they know of the days and it's not a "surprise". Of course, there will always be one family who forgets, but oh well.

I take 2 weeks of vacation a year, one paid one not, 8 holidays (including Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving-paid, and 5 personal days (I'll use them the week of Christmas if I don't use them throughout the year-paid.

Don't feel bad taking time off!
smltwngrl920 11:03 AM 04-21-2015
I think at one point in time we have all felt like this in one situation or another but we need to remember that this is our business. We all have families that need our time and also we need time away in order to remain sane!

Enjoy your days! You deserve them!!
Controlled Chaos 12:18 PM 04-21-2015
I just posted last month (and sent home in the newsletter) that I was taking a 4 day weekend in June and a week off in July. I have never taken vacation like this before. I was nervous, but no one said anything. Parents won't pay for those days, and I make it clear they need good back up before signing on, no one said anything. One mom, did ask "oooh! is this the Cali trip you have been wanting to take?!" Yes! Yes it is lol I am so excited.
Unregistered 01:04 PM 04-21-2015
I did it! It's posted a sent a hand out with all the dates from May-September home for their fridge so there is no issues and no one "forgets" everyone seemed good! One dkm even said "don't you even worry you deserve your days off with your family you work so hard!" Made me feel so much better!! Bring on the summer!!!
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I did it! It's posted a sent a hand out with all the dates from May-September home for their fridge so there is no issues and no one "forgets" everyone seemed good! One dkm even said "don't you even worry you deserve your days off with your family you work so hard!" Made me feel so much better!! Bring on the summer!!!

That is awesome to hear!! See, we spend way too much time worrying about things we needn't worry about.

Glad it turned out so well for you!!
Stephnrich 06:14 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Martha Stewart:
The number one regret I have had, as I close my business, is that I didn't take time for my own children, my own family, and myself. I took less than 5 vacation days a year (aside from the big holidays). I didn't take off for a 3 day weekend with my husband, I shorted vacations, I missed the first days of kindergarten, classroom parties, lazy days at the pool occasionally. I was
always so worried that I'd lose business for taking vacation, a sick day or a personal day. I've neglected my dental care because it would be inconvenient to take a half day, ignored or postponed doctor appointments. In hindsight, I would tell you that my putting the daycare above myself, and not taking the time has in a very large way led to serious burn out. If I could go back, I'd take the same vacations my clients can take, I'd take the time and risk losing a client.
^^^^^This is exactly how I'm starting to feel 7 years in. Take the vacations!
Gemma 10:14 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My thinking when it comes to parents is that they do what's best for them without considering the provider, so why should the provider feel guilty for doing the same?

Some providers don't get paid while the kids are on scheduled vacation, the loss of income, is the impact I was referring to.
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
My thinking when it comes to parents is that they do what's best for them without considering the provider, so why should the provider feel guilty for doing the same?

Some providers don't get paid while the kids are on scheduled vacation, the loss of income, is the impact I was referring to.
Oh okay...gottcha.

I wasn't sure what you meant but yes, some providers don't get paid while on vacation. Now it makes sense as to where you were coming from.

I guess I never even venture into that realm of thinking. I just take my two weeks paid vacations and scheduled paid closed days and don't worry one bit what works or doesn't work for my parents.

They KNEW what they were signing on for when they enrolled so once they sign on the dotted line, I don't entertain any thing other than what we agreed upon.

I don't care if parents take a week's vacation every month.
Their fees here wouldn't change.

(^^ that is corner from which my perspective comes from)
Tags:time off, vacation policy
Reply Up