Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Photographs at Daycare
grandmom 09:31 AM 09-07-2010
Hi all,

Yes, I have signed permission to use photos/videos of children for advertisement purposes, including on the interenet without names.

Here's the twist. If a parent comes for a birthday party or other event, and takes a photo and posts it on Facebook etc., and tags the child with a name, is there any responsibility on my part?
MommyMuffin 09:58 AM 09-07-2010
Wow that is a tough question, I am curious to see what others responses will be. I know as a parent I would not be happy about that but I am very involved in all aspects of my daughters life and do not feel that pictures of her should be on facebook unless I put them there for family to see. Others may not mind it so much. But if you have a parent like me I would just put a section in your pictures and video form to cover activities and parents taking pictures, just so you can cover everything and no parent is upset at you.
Michael 12:10 PM 09-07-2010
As long as they are not advertising your business. I think there is a difference for personal and/or business use. If you put your "business" on Facebook and post photos of others you should get permission. If someone has a personal Facebook page then they are not held to the same standards IMO. Also, you can always untag a photo with your name.
DWTC 12:26 PM 09-07-2010
I agree with Michael...if someone else took the picture it shouldn't involve you.

Just the same as if that parent were at another place of business and was taking photos for a party then that parent shouldn't have to get permission from every child at the establishment since they are in a public place. Also that shouldn't come back on the place of business in anyway.
missnikki 03:14 PM 09-07-2010
I think legally, you are ok. Morally, if the parent of the photo'ed kid is concerned and tells you so, I would think you should mention it to the parent who took/posted the photos as a courtesy.
Crystal 06:00 PM 09-07-2010
I agree with MommyMuffin and MissNikki....while it may not be illegal, not all parents will approve and I would ask the parent who posted the photo to remove it and in a general newsletter/memo, request that parents ask permission before posting photos online.
grandmom 07:29 PM 09-07-2010
Thanks for the replies. They all make sense. I'll be adding some statement to my parent handbook, and will add it to the next newsletter.

The issue is foster children who live in the same community as their birth parents. The birth parents forbid any photos on the internet. Fortunately they aren't in the photo that was posted on FB, but they could have been.
Tags:photo permission
Reply Up