Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trading Services- Daycare For Housecleaning
pollyo 06:43 PM 06-07-2012
I contacted a friend of a friend about housecleaning and she suggested trading services, she would clean for me (about 3 hours) on Saturday mornings if I would help her with her 1 year old. I'm excited about this because I really need the help cleaning and am happy she can come on Saturday mornings!

I am unsure what a fair "trade" would be. I was thinking 3 hours of cleaning for 2 mornings of childcare (4 hours each). Would you consider this fair for both her and me?

She said she would charge $100 for my house (I could never afford that). It also brings her value to $33/hour. My very highest "drop-in" rate is $8/hour so it doesn't really add up, but if you look at the work time, maybe it works out? She has been bringing her child with her to clean and is really desperate to find someone to watch her.

Any thoughts on this?
Mary Poppins 06:53 PM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by pollyo:
I contacted a friend of a friend about housecleaning and she suggested trading services, she would clean for me (about 3 hours) on Saturday mornings if I would help her with her 1 year old. I'm excited about this because I really need the help cleaning and am happy she can come on Saturday mornings!

I am unsure what a fair "trade" would be. I was thinking 3 hours of cleaning for 2 mornings of childcare (4 hours each). Would you consider this fair for both her and me?

She said she would charge $100 for my house (I could never afford that). It also brings her value to $33/hour. My very highest "drop-in" rate is $8/hour so it doesn't really add up, but if you look at the work time, maybe it works out? She has been bringing her child with her to clean and is really desperate to find someone to watch her.

Any thoughts on this?
I, too, have thought of bartering dc services but the hourly rate thing/fairness thing has me stumped, too!! I am curious to see what others here have to say because I would love to exchange services but I'm not sure how it would work out and be fair to both parties.

Reading this makes me wonder why I am not in the housecleaning business, though!
sharlan 08:30 PM 06-07-2012
I would trade even for even. 3 hrs of daycare for 3 hrs of cleaning.
pootmcgoot 03:42 AM 06-08-2012
I'd do even too. Unmatched rates or not, child care is hard work.
DaisyMamma 03:54 AM 06-08-2012
I would do it by cost and give her two 6 hour days, unless she is bringing the child for you to watch on Sat while she cleans, then I would do two 4 hour days.

I've looked and looked for someone to do this exact type of barter! You are lucky! Around here cleaning is about $25/hr and my house is about 5 hrs
Lianne 04:02 AM 06-08-2012
I barter my services a lot. I do not barter for my regular daycare services but I will barter for extra child care.

For example, I needed some bricks around a garden fixed. A client offered to do it for me so he fixed the garden and he banked two extra days of daycare. His daughter comes 2x a week but the extra days can't be used towards her regularly scheduled days. But, they need an extra day of care occasionally so the next two times they need it, those days are fre of charge for them.

I barter extra daycare (or an evening of care) for haircuts, yard work, housework, home maintenance, etc.

I just make sure the exchange of services have been agreed to beforehand and so far it's always been a great experience for me.
cheerfuldom 09:16 AM 06-08-2012
I dont think I would trade even for even. Right now, I charge $30 per day for one child. I wouldnt do three whole days of daycare just to get help cleaning but I might do maybe 3 mornings like you suggested. Really, you can do whatever you want....it just depends on how much the cleaning is worth to you.
Meeko 09:21 AM 06-08-2012
I've often done bartering with my day care clients. Right now, a dad is building new porch steps for the back door of the day care. He is also going to rebuilt the doors on my shed and paint it. Things we want done and can never seem to find the time to do. And he's grateful as he has less work right now. Later, he is going to do some landscaping at the day care for me.

Love a win/win!!
christinaskids 10:51 AM 06-08-2012
I trade a daycare helper for her copay. I go to school at night so need someone here for an hour or so until the kids leave. She doesnt have to pay her copay and i dont have to pay her cash. The kids LOVE her so it works out pretty well for me!
Tags:bartering, cleaning
Reply Up