Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Roto/Noro Virus?
SilverSabre25 02:57 PM 02-06-2013
I've got a baaaad feeling about this...

anyone care to tell me how either one of these starts, symptom-wise? I have my suspicions...I'm hoping I'm wrong...
Country Kids 03:00 PM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I've got a baaaad feeling about this...

anyone care to tell me how either one of these starts, symptom-wise? I have my suspicions...I'm hoping I'm wrong...

Noro-throwing up, diarreha, bad cramps, cold sweats, fever (I think sometimes).

you come down with a norovirus infection, you'll probably go from being completely healthy to feeling absolutely miserable within a day or two after being exposed to the virus. Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting (more often in children), watery diarrhea (more often in adults), and stomach cramps.

Other norovirus symptoms include:
Low-grade fever
Chills
Headache
Muscle aches
Fatigue

Most of these symptoms aren't serious, but diarrhea and vomiting can deplete your body of the fluid it needs and you can become dehydrated. Children and the elderly are most susceptible to dehydration, as well as malnutrition from not getting enough nutrients.

If you have symptoms of norovirus, your doctor can give you a stool test to confirm that you have the illness. However, norovirus diagnosis is usually made based solely on symptoms.

A small percentage of people who are infected with norovirus never have any symptoms, which suggests they might have some natural protection from the virus.
Country Kids 03:03 PM 02-06-2013
Rotavirus:

Rotavirus disease is most common in infants and young children, but adults and older children can also become infected with rotavirus. Once a person has been exposed to rotavirus, it takes about 2 days for symptoms to appear.

Symptoms include
•Fever
•Vomiting
•Diarrhea
•Abdominal pain

Vomiting and watery diarrhea may last from 3 to 8 days in a child who is infected with rotavirus. Additional symptoms include loss of appetite and dehydration (loss of body fluids), which can be especially harmful for infants and young children.

Vaccinated and unvaccinated children may develop rotavirus disease more than once because there are many different types of rotavirus and because neither vaccine nor natural infection provides full immunity (protection) from future infections. Usually a person’s first infection with rotavirus causes the most severe symptoms.
SilverSabre25 03:15 PM 02-06-2013
thank you both.

I am SO HOPING that this is neither. I just started feeling like I was hit by a truck this afternoon (exhaustion-wise)...then started having some sharp pains that I associate with the last time I had something nasty-stomach-virusy. And Noro is going around where I live.

But I'm hoping I'm wrong. So, so hoping. Praying really.
Unregistered 03:19 PM 02-06-2013
My son had rotovirus and was in the hospital for 3 days with it for high fever and dehydration.

If it is rotovirus, the diarhea is the worst part and the smell is horrible! It is extremely contagious. They had him in an isolation room and had masks on when they came in and out to check on him.

Although I have to say, I had 6 other children in my home day care at the time and they all played togther with my son every day and NOT one other child got it.

I hear norovirus is miserable too!

Good luck!
Live and Learn 04:47 PM 02-06-2013
My husband, my teen twins, and one of my foster kids had a stomach virus a couple of weeks ago. They went from normal to an hour later vomitting their brains out and slight fever, big D. It only lasted two days. We all had the same dinner so we figure they brought it home from school. So awful!!!
Scout 06:54 PM 02-06-2013
I am guessing DS, 19 mos, has rotovirus right now. He has been running fevers since Sunday afternoon, they started low grade but, increased to 104 by Monday night, this morning it was 104.4! I had dh take him to the er after giving him a suppository. They said it's just a virus as he had 6 poops on Monday, not full blown diarrhea, just yucky and frequent. Tuesday he only pooped once but, still had high fevers. He was eating and drinking fine until today. He will eat ok but, doesn't really want to drink. Had diarrhea two times today. I was able to give him some jello and a little pedialyte tonight for hydration after he had a blow out that I smelled from the next room!

I was not happy with the ER's diagnosis and called the ped for an appt. The nurse told me they are being bombarded with calls for this right now and that the fevers are lasting 5 freaking days! She said to just keep him hydrated and if the fever hits 105 go back to the ER....so I am just medicating him every 4 hours rotating advil and Tylenol so it doesn't get that high. I was so freaking scared this morning! He keeps saying "ow" and the nurse thinks it's stomach pains. Good Luck!
canadiancare 05:17 AM 02-07-2013
Bleach is your best friend. Clean, clean, clean.

And feel better.
e.j. 05:46 AM 02-07-2013
I'm closed today because I think I just had it yesteday. I woke up feeling ok but my stomach felt a little wonky. Bloated - like my dinner from the night before didn't digest and was just sitting in my stomach. Throughout the day, I felt okay except for my stomach which just didn't feel right and like you mentioned - fatigued. I just wanted to lay down and sleep! I started getting waves of chills later in the afternoon while the kids were napping. Nausea increased gradually from there. Got sick about 10 minutes before pick up! Thank goodness it was a light day and I only had a couple of kids left.

I went through the night with most of the symptoms Country Kids listed. Not fun but it was a quick mover! I'm sore this morning but actually feeling a lot better than I thought I would by now. I hope you're feeling better soon!
SilverSabre25 06:32 AM 02-07-2013
So far I'm okay...I feel on the verge of, ahem, "South end intestinal issues" but nothing so far and I felt this way last night too. Still tired. I made myself a nice, nutrient-packed smoothie for breakfast. I think my immune system is fighting this thing. I'm just hoping it wins. :/
canadiancare 06:45 AM 02-07-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'm closed today because I think I just had it yesteday. I woke up feeling ok but my stomach felt a little wonky. Bloated - like my dinner from the night before didn't digest and was just sitting in my stomach. Throughout the day, I felt okay except for my stomach which just didn't feel right and like you mentioned - fatigued. I just wanted to lay down and sleep! I started getting waves of chills later in the afternoon while the kids were napping. Nausea increased gradually from there. Got sick about 10 minutes before pick up! Thank goodness it was a light day and I only had a couple of kids left.

I went through the night with most of the symptoms Country Kids listed. Not fun but it was a quick mover! I'm sore this morning but actually feeling a lot better than I thought I would by now. I hope you're feeling better soon!
3/5 of the daycare kids have had it over the past month. It seems to be fairly severe and then go away within 12 hours or so. *touch wood* I have been safe.
PolkaTots 07:41 AM 02-07-2013
My entire daycare had this last week...thank you to a DCF who lied and told me their child did not throw up that morning and didn't have a fever...they sent them tylenol doped and exposed the whole daycare...I didn't realize he was sick until the fever came back and thats when the child told me they trew up and mommy gave them medicine. I was livid!!!! (Wasn't the first time with this family, and they were termed this week) All but two of the children got it, both my husband and I got it...and so did some of the parents.

My symptoms started with feeling really tired on Friday, more fatigue, a headache, and feeling off on Satruday...then 7 straight hours of vomiting that night/early morning...and diarrhea for the next two days...and really didn't feel back to normal until later on Tuesday.

First time in 5 years of daycare I have gotten sick and had to close
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 02-07-2013
Here are my trusty info sheets from our state

Rotovirus http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...5_s6ROTAVR.pdf

Norovirus http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...495_s6NORO.pdf

Both sheets list contagious period, symptoms and what to do.
Tags:viruses
Reply Up