Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Confused
vonp 08:54 PM 05-31-2012
I worked in a Day care years ago and then I had my own kids so I was a stay at home Mom (they are college students now). On and off over the years I've cared for neighbors kids some with pay/some without. Then I got an infant that I cared for until he was 2. Today I watch 2 SA kids after school occasionally. They want me full-time because their present caregiver is giving up day care but they have been fighting the school to alter their bus route in order for them to dropped in my neighborhood-it didn't happen this year but maybe next fall. I want to care for an infant again or toddlers full-time.

Okay now to my problem/confusion: From my understanding the State of NC (where I am residing) is now requiring everyone who cares for more than 2 kids (who are not related to you) be licensed. My credentials were from MD and also 1984. Probably equivalant to what used to be called the 40 hr course. I've checked into getting a CDA and that seems to involve not only a chunk-o-money but 480 hrs working in a state licensed facility/or family daycare home . First of all, no one will hire you without having a CDA/ or other ECE credits already and then you can't begin the CDA training until you have worked at a facility. It's like a catch 22 thing!

There may be another way to be licensed but it involves a workshop and they don't have them all the time and then the usual inspections and so forth. Then there's a child care course at the local community colleges which require you to take pre-college reading and writing courses before you can even enter the care care program!!!

What do you have as far as licensing and credentials? Am I crazy or just fooling myself into thinking I can do this at age 52? I really love kids and loved doing day care. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Michael 09:07 PM 05-31-2012
Welcome to the forum. I've upgraded your status. Maybe a provider here from your area can give you some insight. I know there are online courses on Penn Foster you can inquire information for: http://www.pennfoster.edu/daycare-micro/index.html

You can also contact your state's licensing agency and ask them directly: https://www.daycare.com/northcarolina/
Reply Up