Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Car Seat DILEMA
EchoMom 07:15 AM 02-26-2013
What are your rules regarding storing car seats?

I have an 17mo DCG that has a HUGE HEAVY car seat, one surely NOT intended to be taken out daily. I've never seen a car seat so insanely heavy before, I swear it's got concrete in it! And when taken out, it can't sit up on it's own, it can only lay down flat and it's very very big.

So every morning DCD drops off DCG, she cries a bit but is fine in a minute, but he has 2 make a 2nd trip every single morning to go get the car seat and bring it in, which then makes DCG fuss a 2nd time and a 2nd goodbye.

Every afternoon DCM picks up and has to first come in and get the car seat, then come back to get the girl. If the girl sees her, it then makes for a meltdown pickup because she thinks mom is leaving her, so I try not to let her see mom until after she's gotten the car seat out already.

On top of that, my house is a split level so you instantly have to go up or down the stairs. There is zero room on the landing for her carseat, I already have the cubbies there for coats and shoes and it's cramped with zero extra room.

I refuse to carry that thing up and down the stairs for them, no way. So I have the parent bring it up and down the stairs themselves.

So what should I do/say? I don't mind the 3 and 4 month olds being brought in in their infant carriers since it's cold. I don't love it, but it's no big deal and I put the carriers out of the way. But this thing is WAY too heavy and big and the girl is too old. Why don't they just take the girl and the seat at the same time? Why don't they buy a 2nd one, save up for it if they have to. The girl is an excellent walker, there's no reason she can't walk to/from the car while parent carries the seat. But they carry her instead.

This REALLY annoys me. What should I do/say? I've already commented on how big and heavy it is, and they've said oh yeah we should get another one, but they haven't.

Finally, it sits by the banister and it's not safe because kids want to play with it and I don't usually put any furniture next to the railings for safety. I could have them take it down the steps to the bottom landing, but the downstairs is my personal house area and I just don't want parents down there.
wdmmom 07:20 AM 02-26-2013
I don't store carseats. I have it in my regs that carseats are to be left in the car. I only do arrivals and departures of children, not belongings, bags, or carseats.

I tell families that if multiple people will be doing arrivals and departures, multiple carseats are required.

There are several reasons I don't allow them in the house:

Other kids want to sit in them
They're a tripping hazard
I simply don't have the room
I don't want to take on the responsibility if something breaks on it or malfunctions
I don't want other children getting it dirty
I don't want dirty, caked in food carseats in my home

The list goes on and on but I see it as nothing but a liability.

If it stays in the car, there is nothing that can fall back on you.
Unregistered 07:29 AM 02-26-2013
In the past I have allowed car seats to be stored on my front porch (outside) but never brought in. Is this an option? Otherwise I wouldn't allow it as it seems to be too disruptive and a safety issue.
countrymom 07:39 AM 02-26-2013
carseats sit outside. I would tell them that from now on for saftey reasons the carseat has to be left outside. If they don't like it then they need to get another one. Also, if you have a fire in your house and you need to get out, you would be tripping over the carseat. What kind of carseat is it that it won't sit up and is that heavy.
NeedaVaca 07:40 AM 02-26-2013
I would also be concerned about the safety of the daily removing of the car seat. A baby seat still has the base secured but a large car seat would be completely installed/uninstalled and could leave room for error. If it isn't working for you just tell them and give them a deadline. Just the fact that the DCG cries twice for every drop off/pick up would be enough for me...
crazydaycarelady 07:53 AM 02-26-2013
I would have them store it outside the front door or in the driveway area? Honestly, you think they would be tired of putting it in and out and just buy another.
cheerfuldom 07:56 AM 02-26-2013
I wouldnt let them leave it outside unless there is a clear understanding that any damage to the car seat (or if it is stolen) is not your problem. I would just tell them the car seat situation is not working for your setup and they have two weeks to purchase a second one.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
What are your rules regarding storing car seats?

I have an 17mo DCG that has a HUGE HEAVY car seat, one surely NOT intended to be taken out daily. I've never seen a car seat so insanely heavy before, I swear it's got concrete in it! And when taken out, it can't sit up on it's own, it can only lay down flat and it's very very big.

So every morning DCD drops off DCG, she cries a bit but is fine in a minute, but he has 2 make a 2nd trip every single morning to go get the car seat and bring it in, which then makes DCG fuss a 2nd time and a 2nd goodbye.

Every afternoon DCM picks up and has to first come in and get the car seat, then come back to get the girl. If the girl sees her, it then makes for a meltdown pickup because she thinks mom is leaving her, so I try not to let her see mom until after she's gotten the car seat out already.

On top of that, my house is a split level so you instantly have to go up or down the stairs. There is zero room on the landing for her carseat, I already have the cubbies there for coats and shoes and it's cramped with zero extra room.

I refuse to carry that thing up and down the stairs for them, no way. So I have the parent bring it up and down the stairs themselves.

So what should I do/say? I don't mind the 3 and 4 month olds being brought in in their infant carriers since it's cold. I don't love it, but it's no big deal and I put the carriers out of the way. But this thing is WAY too heavy and big and the girl is too old. Why don't they just take the girl and the seat at the same time? Why don't they buy a 2nd one, save up for it if they have to. The girl is an excellent walker, there's no reason she can't walk to/from the car while parent carries the seat. But they carry her instead.

This REALLY annoys me. What should I do/say? I've already commented on how big and heavy it is, and they've said oh yeah we should get another one, but they haven't.

Finally, it sits by the banister and it's not safe because kids want to play with it and I don't usually put any furniture next to the railings for safety. I could have them take it down the steps to the bottom landing, but the downstairs is my personal house area and I just don't want parents down there.
Do you transport kids?

If not, I would absolutely insist that they exchange or deal with the car seats anywhere but your property.

I have the same rules as WDDMOM. I don't allow car seats to be left or stored on my property.
canadiancare 08:07 AM 02-26-2013
any of my parents with 2 vehicles have 2 carseats as well. You want to be sure they are installed properly and the daily removal could surely cause a slip up at some point.
KnoxMom 08:35 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I wouldnt let them leave it outside unless there is a clear understanding that any damage to the car seat (or if it is stolen) is not your problem. I would just tell them the car seat situation is not working for your setup and they have two weeks to purchase a second one.
This is my thinking as well. Have them sign a waiver for damage, destruction or removal of the car seat not being a liability of your daycare. Let them know it can stay outside (or do you have a garage/side door where they could pick up/drop off the seat without baby seeing them?). The waiver alone will probably make them want to go ahead and buy a second seat.
EchoMom 08:41 AM 02-26-2013
Thanks everyone!

No I don't transport, ever. And no I do not have a garage. I have a side door but the way our yard is divided into two areas, only the front entrance yard is for daycare. The other yard is personal, very messy, where we store our stuff, and for the dogs.

I think I'll make a policy change note and give it to them. I want to make sure I list all the reasons we've talked about here for the change, and I don't want to forget anything by saying it in person.
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Thanks everyone!

No I don't transport, ever. And no I do not have a garage. I have a side door but the way our yard is divided into two areas, only the front entrance yard is for daycare. The other yard is personal, very messy, where we store our stuff, and for the dogs.

I think I'll make a policy change note and give it to them. I want to make sure I list all the reasons we've talked about here for the change, and I don't want to forget anything by saying it in person.
Here is what the section in my handbook says about car seats. You are welcome to use any part of it, if it works for you

Car Seats

Car seats may NOT be left on the child care property, either inside or out. If another person needs to pick up or drop off your child, you will need to make arrangements for the exchange of the car seat so that it is not left on the premises. There are NO exceptions to this policy. If it comes to my attention that someone picking up is not using a car seat, the proper authorities will be called immediately to ensure the safety of the child

SilverSabre25 08:54 AM 02-26-2013
I would tell them that a) it's not safe to reinstall car seats all the time b) you're not willing to have it in the house anymore due to space and c) Cosco Scenara's are good seats for very cheap, buy one and put it in one of the cars.
EchoMom 09:03 AM 02-26-2013
I decided to keep it simple because I don't have to defend myself, it's my policy and I'm allowed to set the rules. :P

How's this:

Notice of Policy Change

Dear Parents,

Please be aware that as of March 15th we will no longer allow car seats to be stored inside the house or yard.

We do not have the space to keep them safely. Children play in them and it creates an unnecessary discipline and safety issue.

Parents must have a car seat appropriately installed in each transporting vehicle.

We understand that infant carriers are helpful for keeping young infants warm in the winter. We will continue to store infant carriers through March 15th.

Thank you,

daycarediva 09:22 AM 02-26-2013
I don't store car seats either. It really isn't safe to reinstall them all the time (same goes for infant carriers, most people don't realize that!)

It is most definitely a space/safety issue for me. fortunately it only ever came up once and as soon as I saw dcm opening the door with it I reminded her.

I agree with a PP, cosco sceneras are a good, inexpensive second seat (mine were around $50 at Target) I purchase them for daycare transportation and my youngest son had one in Grandma's car as well.
Reply Up