Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Fresh Meat Here! w/ Question!
MsBell 08:44 AM 04-28-2015
Hi, I'm Amber, and obvs, I'm new! I'm going to school from my AA in Early Childhood Education, and I just wanted to know what kind of education is typical for most in home daycare folk? In my state the guidelines are pretty loose, and you don't need much qualification, so I wanted to know kind of what the average is.
Thriftylady 08:50 AM 04-28-2015
I don't have any "education" for childcare. But I have taken lots of trainings and have plenty of experience. I really think education is a good thing, but there is a ton to be said for experience, just because children don't do anything "by the book" so to speak. Good for you for getting your education, now build it up with some experience and be sure you have a good handbook and contract to back you up.
MsBell 12:10 PM 04-29-2015
Well it's literally impossible to get a job without experience, and you can't get experience without a job, and I have none, so i'm hoping i can make up for my lack of experience with a full education, lol. There aren't even any volunteer jobs here slightly related to childcare. Like, yay, i've got a year's experience of retail work, but that doesn't exactly make me seem like a credible child care person! So if i want to get anywhere, school is my only option. I guess what I really wanted to know was if an AA was enough.
Thriftylady 01:21 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by MsBell:
Well it's literally impossible to get a job without experience, and you can't get experience without a job, and I have none, so i'm hoping i can make up for my lack of experience with a full education, lol. There aren't even any volunteer jobs here slightly related to childcare. Like, yay, i've got a year's experience of retail work, but that doesn't exactly make me seem like a credible child care person! So if i want to get anywhere, school is my only option. I guess what I really wanted to know was if an AA was enough.
A lot of that will depend on exactly what job you want. And it may vary by state. I would say you can probably get a job at a center or pre-school, but it may not be your ideal job to start with, but will get you experience. For a home daycare, you have more than enough education, but parents may want you to be more experienced.
Thriftylady 01:23 PM 04-29-2015
Adding to my answer! If you are starting a home daycare use your education to set up a great program, and then some parents may overlook any experience. Also if you go that route, get a good parent handbook and contract together. I hope all this answers your question better.
NightOwl 01:24 PM 04-29-2015
The requirements here are very low to operate an in home childcare, but I have a degree in ece. Honestly, that degree helps business a LOT. I highly recommend that you continue and finish.
MsBell 04:28 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
A lot of that will depend on exactly what job you want. And it may vary by state. I would say you can probably get a job at a center or pre-school, but it may not be your ideal job to start with, but will get you experience. For a home daycare, you have more than enough education, but parents may want you to be more experienced.
No, even preschools are asking for a minimum of 2 years previous childcare experience. That's what made me want to do home care, because every center or school i applied to had such high qualifications. It's crazyballs. Once I progress more with my degree though, my school has a program that gets ece students temp jobs, so they're guaranteed to graduate with six months of experience, so hopefully i get that!
MsBell 04:32 PM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
The requirements here are very low to operate an in home childcare, but I have a degree in ece. Honestly, that degree helps business a LOT. I highly recommend that you continue and finish.
Yeah, here it's more 'is your house safe from liabilities' rather then 'are you qualified to care for a bunch of babies'. cpr/first aid training are only suggested, but a six foot fence/wall for the yard and socket covers are required.
Tags:ece, education, newbie
Reply Up