Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head Start family childcare contracts
spedmommy4 07:10 AM 09-30-2015
In my area, Early Head Start is contracting with family childcare providers. If you enter into a contract with EHS, your family childcare becomes an Early Head Start site. I have been meeting with EHS here and considering it. It has been an interesting experience so far. I know they have launched this program in other areas, but I don't know how widespread it is.

I searched this forum and couldn't find any threads on it. Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience in getting approved as an EHS contractor?
Annalee 09:40 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
In my area, Early Head Start is contracting with family childcare providers. If you enter into a contract with EHS, your family childcare becomes an Early Head Start site. I have been meeting with EHS here and considering it. It has been an interesting experience so far. I know they have launched this program in other areas, but I don't know how widespread it is.

I searched this forum and couldn't find any threads on it. Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience in getting approved as an EHS contractor?
I looked into that but was warned not to join with Head start. The way it was explaiined to me, it would be one more state personnel with a different set of rules governing what I do along with keeping all the other state regulations I already comply with......I don't need any more of that!
Blackcat31 09:53 AM 09-30-2015

There is another thread about this. I "think" I might have even started it but I don't know for sure. I'll look and see if I can find it.

Our area has the same program. I briefly thought about it but once I read more information about it, I quickly decided that it was not something I wanted to do.

Also based on my own personal experiences working at Head Start (my previous position was Head Start teacher/Home Visitor before I opened my own FCC) it is NOT an entity I want to be affiliated with for various reasons.
Blackcat31 09:55 AM 09-30-2015
Here is the thread. Short and probably no new or helpful info but here it is anyways.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71627
spedmommy4 12:08 PM 09-30-2015
My experience so far has been unpleasant, at best. The program sounds amazing, but they keep coming up with new and nonsensical rules I would have to follow. The most recent one was telling me that, as a large family childcare, I would have to cap my enrollment at 12. That would basically ruin my business financially. I have too many part timers. Nobody around here really needs full time care. I can't imagine anyone would want to do this, and those that would, wouldn't meet their standard of care.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 09-30-2015
My experience so far has been unpleasant, at best. The program sounds amazing, but they keep coming up with new and nonsensical rules I would have to follow. The most recent one was telling me that, as a large family childcare, I would have to cap my enrollment at 12. That would basically ruin my business financially. I have too many part timers. Nobody around here really needs full time care. I can't imagine anyone would want to do this, and those that would, wouldn't meet their standard of care.
They wanted me to cap my enrollment at 6.

Of course they offered an incentive ($100 a month for each of those 6 kids) but, the loss I would have (I have 12 kids daily) would be far greater than the
"incentive" and the biggest reason I said no was they wanted a Head Start staff member to be her as support staff. I don't need or want anyone hanging over me telling me how I have to do X or Y. That is why I am no longer employed by Head Start in the first place.

Here is some more info about it if you are still looking

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ecd/...c-partnerships
spedmommy4 12:50 PM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They wanted me to cap my enrollment at 6.

Of course they offered an incentive ($100 a month for each of those 6 kids) but, the loss I would have (I have 12 kids daily) would be far greater than the
"incentive" and the biggest reason I said no was they wanted a Head Start staff member to be her as support staff. I don't need or want anyone hanging over me telling me how I have to do X or Y. That is why I am no longer employed by Head Start in the first place.

Here is some more info about it if you are still looking

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ecd/...c-partnerships
Thanks! I can't figure out why they want enrollment capped. I read their regulations. The regs say 6:1 ratio. Then again, not much of what Head Start does makes any sense . . .
daycare 01:54 PM 09-30-2015
Thanks! I can't figure out why they want enrollment capped. I read their regulations. The regs say 6:1 ratio. Then again, not much of what Head Start does makes any sense . . .
I was asked to do this as well, they said they would provide tons of grants and special funding. I looked at it and boy oh boy I could get max amount $2000 a year. I laughed and said no way.

basically we could not run it the way that we would want and would have to adhere to all of their ways of running things. NO thanks. To me I would feel like a franchise and not be able to incorporate my own ideas and philosophy.
Cat Herder 12:19 PM 10-01-2015
I just hope this is not where we are headed next. I am fried from the "Quality Improvements" as it is.
daycare 12:51 PM 10-01-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I just hope this is not where we are headed next. I am fried from the "Quality Improvements" as it is.
fried is putting it too nicely....lol
Tags:head start
Reply Up