Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime Gone Wrong Today....
thecrazyisout 11:19 AM 04-06-2011
So, in one room I have an 18 month old and a 9 month old that USUALLY go to sleep just fine. THe 9 month old has discovered how to stand up and now REFUSES TO SLEEP. OH PLEASE tell me this will be a phase....the 18 month old is not napping and if I stay in there, they both think it is a game if I continue to lie him down and say it is nap time firmly....they gigglIn my face. I know it is fun to them and they don't mean it, but UGH.....please give me the strength!!!
nannyde 11:32 AM 04-06-2011
The nine month old prolly doesn't get how to get down. They don't want to let go because they don't know how to bend down and land on their butts or ease their body down. Make sure the crib/pnp is AWAY from the wall. This is a time when they can get exhausted and fall STRAIGHT backwards.
thecrazyisout 11:46 AM 04-06-2011
thanks....actually the nine month old has learned so much in the last week..he has already figured ouit how to sit himself down..... but i do have thw pnp away from the wall! good reminder. so.. the question is, do i just keepm lying him down?? my son never did this, so it is a new thing for me!!! sometimes i feel like a new mom all over again....
nannyde 12:09 PM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by thecrazyisout:
thanks....actually the nine month old has learned so much in the last week..he has already figured ouit how to sit himself down..... but i do have thw pnp away from the wall! good reminder. so.. the question is, do i just keepm lying him down?? my son never did this, so it is a new thing for me!!! sometimes i feel like a new mom all over again....
No

It will be exciting and stimulating to him if you go in and touch him.

If there's any chance he could fall asleep standing up and fall backwards you can use a thick mitted sweatshirt over his clothes at nap. This will cloth cover his hands so he isn't able to get a firm hold onto the crib or pnp rails.

Once he's had enough practice getting up and down (usually a week or so after they've mastered the pull up) then he will just get down when he's tired of it. You can have him practice getting up and down when you are there to spot him.
Symphony 01:49 PM 04-06-2011
You might want to try some sort of makeshift divider too so the two of them can't see each other. I personally, have blankets around the sides of my pnp's so they can't see each other and I teach my kids they are not allowed to stand in the beds. I also have a friend in another state where it is against regs to have blankets on the sides of the pnp/cribs and she has refridgerator boxes that she sets in between the beds if the kids are bothering each other.
Tags:nap issues, sleep problems, won't sleep
Reply Up