Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>She's Not Sleeping...Oy
SilverSabre25 11:58 AM 07-21-2011
so dcg's 2 years old. her mom is pregnant and off work until after babe's born (due end of august). dcg still comes though, most of the time.

"normal" is her getting here around ten and then she naps really well, like 2.5-3 hours. Today though she got here shortly before 1130 and did. not. nap. She did her darnedest to keep everyone else awake and to wake them up, until i gave up and brought her upstairs with me. I am making her sit on the couch beside me, no toys. Is that mean? She normally naps...I do NOT want her to get the idea that causing a ruckus means she gets to play instead of sleep. It doesn't help that I saw on FB that she slept until 10:30 today...

Of course, I haven't figured out if I can/should leave her on the couch while I do what I need to do (start dinner, prep snack, clean the house for the guest DH invited without consulting me). The kitchen is right beside the living room, where the couch is, so it's not like I'd be far...

and I'm NOT looking forward to the afternoon. This kid gets very whiny and fussy when she's tired, and she doesn't get picked up until 6 or 6:30--which is well after my other dcks leave around 4-4:30. I could nap her later, I guess, but yeesh, this is SO frustrating.
SilverSabre25 12:00 PM 07-21-2011
And, I know I should bring up to her parents that we can't have that late of a wake up and that late of a drop-off if she's not going to nap with everyone else. I'm just wimpy and I don't know what to say, or how to say it, or how to enforce it.

It's not like her mom is at home kicking back and having a blast, she's having some pregnancy complications and is doing her best to stay off bed rest.
CheekyChick 12:05 PM 07-21-2011
If I were you, I would tell the mother that when she allows her little girl to sleep in, it throws off her schedule and she won't nap with the rest of the children in your care. I had a mother do that recently (let her child sleep in and bring her later) and once I told her that it was difficult to keep her quiet while the others napped, she put her back on her normal schedule. Hopefully she will react the same.
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 07-21-2011
Can you maybe just tell mom about it and simply ask that although she isn't getting the dcg there early, could htey make sure they are waking her at home at a normal hour and not allowing her to sleep in? Is there another family member that could maybe get her there earlier?

I would, however, just tell mom that you are having some trouble with her mood and temperament and it is so important for dcg to be on a schedule, especially with a new sibling coming. Maybe if you brought it up in a way that shows mom you are looking out for her interests too.
daycare 04:45 PM 07-21-2011
Had this same issues a few months back. I explained such as catherder did and I also mentioned that when she does not sleep She keeps all of the other kids awake and the majority of them cannot function or make it through their day without a proper nap.

I dislike it when parents do this.. I know they do it without us in thought at all and only do whats the easiest for them.
Kaddidle Care 04:59 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
so dcg's 2 years old. her mom is pregnant and off work until after babe's born (due end of august). dcg still comes though, most of the time.
I'm still stuck on your first 2 sentences! Is she going to send her child to Daycare after the baby is born as well?

I like what everyone said. It's possible that Mom just doesn't realize how much this throws her child off and she's not going to know if you don't open your mouth and tell her! Come on girl!
SilverSabre25 06:12 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I'm still stuck on your first 2 sentences! Is she going to send her child to Daycare after the baby is born as well?

I like what everyone said. It's possible that Mom just doesn't realize how much this throws her child off and she's not going to know if you don't open your mouth and tell her! Come on girl!
yes, she'll still come. she only comes 3-days a week normally, and I actually prefer that my kiddos continue to come to dc rather than be off for 3 months...this way they still have the routine and the rules in mind. DCM is also not off just for fun; she's off because of pregnancy complications. She has a couple complications that are making it hard for her to take care of dcg all day, and dcg is bored silly at home because her mom can't do much with her.
SilverSabre25 06:15 AM 07-22-2011
I did mention to dcd last night that dcg didn't sleep, etc, etc...I didn't specifically say, "You have to get her up earlier." but I kind of hinted at it. We'll see if he takes the hint. I like to try the more subtle approach first and move forward from here. Thanks for the advice and the virtual kicks in the butt to actually say something. That's all I need sometimes
Kaddidle Care 07:46 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
yes, she'll still come. she only comes 3-days a week normally, and I actually prefer that my kiddos continue to come to dc rather than be off for 3 months...this way they still have the routine and the rules in mind. DCM is also not off just for fun; she's off because of pregnancy complications. She has a couple complications that are making it hard for her to take care of dcg all day, and dcg is bored silly at home because her mom can't do much with her.
Ah - gotcha!
Tags:won't sleep
Reply Up