Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Veggie Eater :P
JennyBear 10:07 AM 10-11-2011
this one DCG of mine is 2.5 years old. She will not eat her veggies (and barely any fruit) when she is here. I know mom mentioned that it is a fight to get her to eat her veggies at home so they just offer her fruit and that's good enough for them. I have continued to offer her veggies because I feel like it's important for them to be a part of her diet and at least be offered but I am wasting A LOT of food because of this (I usually just give her a small amount each time, but it adds up). What do you guys think about this topic? I just feel like it's a lost cause trying to get her to eat her veggies (which is extremely hard and almost never happens) when the family don't seem to care at home.
sharlan 10:12 AM 10-11-2011
Are you on a food program? If not, don't worry about it.

I have 2 that will not eat veggies of any kind. I give them 3 kernals of corn, 3 peas, or whatever we're having and encourage them to try it. Most of the time they won't touch it. They won't even eat french fries or mashed potatoes.

The one will eat "special ingredient green soup" - home made cream of broccoli. We have that once a month.

Do not make eating a battle.
cheerfuldom 10:28 AM 10-11-2011
There is only so much you can do when kids get something else at home. As long as she is hitting her milestones and the nutrition is not causing issues at daycare, you are already doing what you can. I am in the opposite situation where one of my DC kids eats so little that she has trouble keeping awake even....very poor nutrition and in this case I am having to address it with the parents.
JennyBear 12:09 PM 10-11-2011
No, I am not on a food program. I live in Ontario and we don't require to be on such a thing. What is that btw? I hear that a lot on this site and I'm curious to know what it is and what the guidelines are. Is it the same for all States?

Yeah, I'm just going to send a little note home saying that the child has no interest in eating any veggies, and I know they don't offer at home so ask if they have any suggestions. I'm pretty sure they will just say stop offering but it bugs me. I get creative with sneaking in veggies for all of the children but when it's offered on the side as a raw or steamed veggie there is no way this kid is eating them, lol. She is active and healthy otherwise so I should just let it go I guess.
Kaddidle Care 05:18 PM 10-11-2011
My first DC Child was like that. Her parents thought Vegetables meant carrots and corn. I had the best luck with raw veggies - I called broccoli "Trees" and Cauliflower "Brains". We had fun and she ate them.

BUT.. I only had one.

My own child was on a broccoli with cheese kick - just a serving of cooked broccoli nuked with some sliced cheese on top.

With my own kids - I usually cut up the fresh veggies and then start dinner. If they start getting "snacky" I let them have a handful of the veggies first.

I have found that for myself, the only time I will eat fruit is BEFORE dinner. After dinner I just don't enjoy it.
Christina72684 07:25 PM 10-11-2011
Several of my kids don't like them, but my mom and I make it fun and when they eat a bite we'll do our "Happy Dance" and dance silly for like 5 seconds each time. They love it and will take a bite just to see us do it. We don't do it for the foods they like to eat, and they don't seem to care. Even if they just eat 2-3 bites of everything we're happy.
caligirl 06:01 AM 10-12-2011
Well, you must be talking about my middle son! He did not like his veggies some time after his first birthday. It was a daily struggle. I was always very concerned, but other than disguising his veggies in a dish, he wouldn't touch them. This went on for many, many years. Even to this day, a grown man, he is very picky about his veggies. My oldest and youngest eat anything and everything. I raised them all the same, fed them great meals, so it's interesting how one could be so different. The only thing I can even think about is that he must have different taste-buds than most. I know that some people prefer sweets, others salty foods....... maybe some don't like the taste of veggies. My son always complained about the texture.... go figure!

Just keep putting them on his plate and offering them.
2ndFamilyDC 06:29 AM 10-12-2011
There is a lot of times I say "well my garbage disposal ate well today" I really dislike wasting food, but it happens every day with one or more kids. When I told my food program lady that a lot of my kids would not eat their veggies she suggested either giving them dip for their raw veggies or something like molly mcbutter for their cooked, and it really did help with the picky ones.
Unregistered 10:42 AM 10-12-2011
It is our responsibility to offer it.......it's the child's responsibility to eat it, even if they chose to eat nothing at all.

Hard to take..........but oh so true.

Three peas, corn, etc.....love this idea If you are on the food program you have to be able to serve the proper amounts but not in a way that causes waste. Keep trying even if they refuse to eat it. Sometimes other kids eating something will trickle down to the non eaters. Sometimes.
Tags:vegetables, won't eat - vegetables
Reply Up