Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In a Situation
tenderhearts 04:19 PM 04-21-2010
I have been weening out my couple part time clients as they leave and filling them with full time because financially I need all full time since I can only have 6. Well lately as I get one step forward then I get 2 steps back, 2 of my full time clients now have told me they will be cutting back to 4 days per week, they are on my old contract so I can't make them pay for the 5 days. So now I don't know what to do, one of them will be leaving anyways at the end of summer but I still need full time. I would feel bad if I said that I need to fill his spot with a full time and make them have to look some where else for daycare for only a few months but this is ridiculous, does anyone have anything in their contracts about full time going down to part time? I'm so frustrated, I was so excited that I had all full time and one part time left, then to this ugh...
nannyde 04:26 PM 04-21-2010
I require a months notice in writing of any schedule change that will lower fees. I only accept notice on Fridays. That buys you a month.

My full time rate is the same as my 4 day part time rate. It doesn't pay for them to go to my part time rate. I charge 25 percent of my full time rate per day for part time clients so a three day a week kid will pay 75 percent of my full time rate. A four day a week child will pay 4 x 25% = 100%

That's how you get them to stay full time. I don't offer any discount between four and five days because I can't get a kid in one day a week to cover their day off.

Nan
jen 04:47 PM 04-21-2010
I don't do part time anymore, but when I did I also charged the full time rate for 4 days.
tenderhearts 04:59 PM 04-21-2010
thanks, I don't do part time anymore either, and its in my new contract that they pay the full time rate even if they are here 4 days, but this family isn't on that contract so I can't enforce that. Would it be wrong for me to tell them that I will do the part time but if I get an offer to fill full time then I would need to let him go? I would feel bad doing that because they have been with me for 5 yrs.
jen 05:38 PM 04-21-2010
I think I would just tell them the truth. That you are no longer offering part time positions and won't be able to accomodate the new schedule. Of course, you love them and love the kids and hope that they will stay-- probably a good time to offer them a new contract.

I would be surprised if they left over one day a week, especially after 5 years. What does your intuition tell you? Do you think that they would leave?
Crystal 05:43 PM 04-21-2010
I agree with Jen....and my contract is Under 20 hours per week: $130.00 Over 20 Hours $150 week. I don't offer much of a difference because it is not worth it for me to take part time clients, except for my preschool only component, which is $25 day two or three day option, three hours per day from 9-12. Anyway, the small rate difference usually ends in the parent choosing full time care.
tenderhearts 06:28 PM 04-21-2010
Thanks, well my intuition tells me that she would be a little %itchy about it, BUT she is very up front when it comes to her stuff so I think that if she were in my shoes she would do the same, I don't think she'll like it, as far as giving her a new contract i dont' think she would do it only because they are leaving at the end of summer because of me not doing part time, he will be going to school, plus he isn't in my school district. I don't want to squabble over 1 day but I have 2 full time clients doing this. Oh then one of these particular clients is pregnant and told me that she will be going to part time, well two issues, I don't have openings for an infant and I wont do part time and this boy has been with me for 4 years, it's just so frustrating, here I thought I was getting it figured out and on the right track but got taken 2 steps back.
SunflowerMama 06:46 PM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I think I would just tell them the truth. That you are no longer offering part time positions and won't be able to accomodate the new schedule. Of course, you love them and love the kids and hope that they will stay-- probably a good time to offer them a new contract.

I would be surprised if they left over one day a week, especially after 5 years. What does your intuition tell you? Do you think that they would leave?
I agree. My full time rate is the same for 4 or 5 days - $150/wk and my part-time rate is the same 2 or 3 days - $100/wk.
QualiTcare 08:15 PM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
thanks, I don't do part time anymore either, and its in my new contract that they pay the full time rate even if they are here 4 days, but this family isn't on that contract so I can't enforce that. Would it be wrong for me to tell them that I will do the part time but if I get an offer to fill full time then I would need to let him go? I would feel bad doing that because they have been with me for 5 yrs.
i guess it would take knowing your contract to give a sure answer (for me, at least), but i would think if you are in a contract with them - you can't change anything, or enforce it - as you said. a contract is pretty binding.
missnikki 07:26 AM 04-22-2010
Is there a term limit on your contracts? I issue new enrollment packets each year, and well in advance so rate changes aren't a big surprise. Also, I have a link on my computer desktop that is simply a WordDoc, called 'policy concerns'. Throughout the year, I add to it anytime something comes up that isn't clear in my handbook. Then come packet-time, I just add the new stuff, and start a new list. Believe me, just when you think you have tweaked the kinks out of it, someone will find a way to stump you on your own policies.
momma2girls 07:33 AM 04-22-2010
When I first started doing daycare, I gave breaks all the time. I watched this one for 3 hrs. this one for 6 hrs. this one 2 days/wk. this one 1 day/wk. another one 3 days, switching days all the time. I had finally had enough of all of it. Now I have a 3 day min. at $30.00 each child per day. My fulltime potty trained is $130.00 and infant- potty trained is $140.00. I have to stick by this from now on, it is definately not worth doing 1 day a week for $20 or $30 day, or 3- 4 hrs. per day at only $15.00 like I was doing previously!! I guess you really live and learn throughout all the yrs. of doing daycare!!!
Everyone have a great weekend coming up!!!
grandmom 01:27 PM 04-22-2010
If you have a waiting list, schedule the other child to take the spot, and then when that's guaranteed, let the family go.

If you don't have a waiting list, ask yourself: is their 4/week better than nothing? You know they are leaving anyway, so you have a date to look forward to.

And keep in mind, this is business. They obviously thought through that when they decided to go to 4 days. They've been with you 5 years, and didn't have a concern dropping the rates. Why are you concerned?

I have been in business long enough I'm finally at all full-time also. I have a child come half time at a full time price. Life is good. God is good.
MarinaVanessa 08:31 AM 04-23-2010
Looks like you have a couple of options.

You can do as you said and let them know that you will no longer be offering part-time care and that you'd like them to stay. If they don't want to pay full-time and you don't have someone lined up then you could tell them that you will start advertising for a full-timer and if someone is interested then you will accept them and let the current family go. Until then let them pay the part-time fee (an income is better than none right?). Once you have the spot filled you can give them a two-week notice.

If you don't want to let them keep paying part-time and are contracted all you have to do is give them a two-week notice. Yes contracts are binding but canceling it isn't hard. You'd just have to wait two-weeks.

If they decide to stay and pay-full time then give them a two-weeks notice in writing about the change in their contract and have them sign a new contract with their new hours and fees and put the new start date for the end of the two-weeks notice. Once that date arrives they pay the new fees.

Let us know how this turns out and whether they decide to stay or not. Good luck!
Unregistered 08:34 AM 04-23-2010
It is your business! Do what you want. I have this in my policies 'CHANGES IN POLICY- I reserve the right to make changes in policies as I deem necessary. You will be notified as soon as possible in writing of any changes that may accrue.' I'd give the family a written notice that as of ***x you will not be providing part time care,and didnt you say they were full time and wanted to go down to part time? Tell them after thinking about that you cannot accomodate their needs for the hours and if they want to remain with you they will need to pay for a full time spot, give them a time frame to respond by with signing a new contract or give you two weeks notice, I'd start looking for other clients.
Kiddie Care
Tags:fulltime, notice, part time, rate, spot
Reply Up