Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCmom is Putting 4yo to Bed at 6pm!
crazydaycarelady 09:16 AM 07-16-2015
She has of course not been wanting me to lay dcg down for a nap. I usually work with people on this and have any non-napping kids watch a movie, after they have been threatened that any rambunctiousness will result in them being laid down. I am not going to put myself through that though for a SIX O'CLOCK bedtime!

Sheesh......SMH!
laundrymom 09:18 AM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
She has of course not been wanting me to NOT lay dcg down for a nap. I usually work with people on this and have any non-napping kids watch a movie, after they have been threatened that any rambunctiousness will result in them being laid down. I am not going to put myself through that though for a SIX O'CLOCK bedtime!

Sheesh......SMH!
Wait. Dc or dcm?
nannyde 09:26 AM 07-16-2015
What time is drop off and pick up
Shell 09:28 AM 07-16-2015
is there a legitimate reason, or does she need ME time?
crazydaycarelady 09:57 AM 07-16-2015
Dcmom is doing it. Drop off is 8:30-9:00 and pick up is 5:00-5:30. I think dcg probably does "need" it but only because she doesn't have a nap. Dcm is single so I think she is wanting the me time, but I need me time too - it's called NAPTME!
nannyde 10:09 AM 07-16-2015
Dcmom is doing it. Drop off is 8:30-9:00 and pick up is 5:00-5:30. I think dcg probably does "need" it but only because she doesn't have a nap. Dcm is single so I think she is wanting the me time, but I need me time too - it's called NAPTME!
Are they getting up at 4 am to have family time?
hope 11:50 AM 07-16-2015
I don't think there is any way to deal with the 6pm bedtime parents successfully. There will always be some excuse as to why their child needs to go down so early for them, Single parent, early wake up time, rough nights sleep the night before, crazy work day. Yet they see absolutely no excuse for their child to take a nap while in care. Doesn't matter if the child is super tired. What it comes down to is the parent putting their needs before the child. You can't change that mentality so the problem will never be resolved.
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 07-16-2015
I have no idea what time my DCK's go to bed. Nor do I care.

I just know I require ALL kids to participate in rest time when enrolled here.

If a parent requests that their child not nap, I consider that their notice of withdrawal.

Solves the issue.
Play Care 12:31 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If a parent requests that their child not nap, I consider that their notice of withdrawal.

Solves the issue.

AmyKidsCo 12:51 PM 07-16-2015

Solves the issue.

Laurel 08:01 AM 07-17-2015

Solves the issue.

Annalee 08:44 AM 07-17-2015
I have a family that puts their kids to bed at 7 PM. The dad gets up at 3:30 to leave for his daily truck run at 4:00 and the mom gets up at 5:00 am having the kids the kids at daycare by 6:00 so she can be at work by 7:00. She works in a neighboring county. This is a weekly time not the same on weekends. So, in this context, I understand the family's routine....The entire family is in bed at 7:00. They actually get up together to see each other before dad goes on his truck run sometimes. Nap here is not affected by this, either.
caregiver 08:57 AM 07-18-2015

Solves the issue.

Unregistered 09:29 AM 07-18-2015

Solves the issue.
I like this and wish I could just term, but getting kids to replace is taking over a year in my area So when I did have a child that didn't nap and was making noises to intentionally wake others, kicking at my wall, etc I added in my contract that a child being disruptive during nap will be sent home. I ended terming the child a few months later for other reasons.
e.j. 10:42 AM 07-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I added in my contract that a child being disruptive during nap will be sent home.
I like this idea.
crazydaycarelady 01:51 PM 07-20-2015
So I let the girl take a nap on Thursday, her last day of the week. Today dcm said "no nap" because she didn't g to bed well, and also the dcgirls tv/screen privleges had been taken away for not listening (at home.)

I don't believe this for a second!

Before she left she also reminded dcgirl not to go to sleep! If dc sits down she falls asleep, so dcm wants me keeping her busy with activities all day. Dcm obviously has no concept of what it is like to be a dcprovider.

I put dcg on the couch with books and a leap pad and told her she didn't have to sleep but she had to stay there and be quiet.

I would term too but she is a 4yo and I am full on infants.
Blackcat31 02:22 PM 07-20-2015
So I let the girl take a nap on Thursday, her last day of the week. Today dcm said "no nap" because she didn't g to bed well, and also the dcgirls tv/screen privleges had been taken away for not listening (at home.)

Before she left she also reminded dcgirl not to go to sleep! If dc sits down she falls asleep, so dcm wants me keeping her busy with activities all day. Dcm obviously has no concept of what it is like to be a dcprovider.

I put dcg on the couch with books and a leap pad and told her she didn't have to sleep but she had to stay there and be quiet.

Sounds like DCM needs a nanny or you need to raise your rates to cover everything the DCM is asking of you.

I would not agree to that and I would let mom know that denying a child sleep when they are clearly tired is not much different than denying them food or water.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:45 PM 07-20-2015

That would not sit well with me. If naps are a part of your program, then she needs to have the opportunity to nap. If she falls asleep, then she sleeps. If not, then quiet activity after 30-60 minutes of rest time. Mom can do things how she wants at home, but she cannot tell you how to do things at your home. It would be like you saying, "I need you to keep dck up till 10 pm every night doing activities, so she will be tired for nap time here tomorrow." Dcm would balk at you if you said that, so it is no different if she is telling you to keep dck awake, so she can manage bedtime easier. Not too mention, a 6 pm bedtime is so wrong! The sun does not even set for another 4 hours after that in my state, so it would be so mean to make your kid go to bed that early!
Unregistered 07:44 PM 07-20-2015
I would never put my child to bed at 6 but who's business is it of yours what she does with HER child when she is in HER home?

You all need to get over yourselves. You are not their parents. You get no say.
bklsmum 05:31 AM 07-21-2015
I would never put my child to bed at 6 but who's business is it of yours what she does with HER child when she is in HER home?

The issue isn't the bedtime, it' the DCM not wanting her kid to nap in a program that requires naps.

On a side note...why are the rude jerks with no reading comprehension ALWAYS unregistered?
Crazy8 06:09 AM 07-21-2015
It is really sad that a parent picks their child up from daycare at 5:30pm and puts them to bed at 6pm but I have learned a long time ago that I can't parent these parents. BUT I can determine how it affects MY daycare program and that is the issue the OP is talking about. I tell parents when their child outgrows naps they outgrow my program. But if you are in a situation where you are willing to provide this "constant entertainment to keep child awake" then it needs to come with a $10/hr. fee with it. My nap time is 2.5 hrs. so we'd be talking $25/day extra for me to give that child my undivided attention during nap time.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:03 AM 07-21-2015

It becomes my business when the parent wants me to alter my program to make their life easier at home. And I absolutely get a say in how my program runs, so dcm would be getting a big fat no
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 07-21-2015

rubyecro 12:51 PM 07-22-2015
She has of course not been wanting me to lay dcg down for a nap. I usually work with people on this and have any non-napping kids watch a movie, after they have been threatened that any rambunctiousness will result in them being laid down. I am not going to put myself through that though for a SIX O'CLOCK bedtime!

Sheesh......SMH!

So, my dd went to bed at that time at that age. I stand by early bedtimes. I think it's best. Also 4 years might be too old for a nap?
Rockgirl 01:07 PM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by rubyecro:
So, my dd went to bed at that time at that age. I stand by early bedtimes. I think it's best. Also 4 years might be too old for a nap?
In my state, it's required that a child age 5 & under and not yet in school rest quietly every day on a mat, bed, or cot. Mine all fall asleep. I don't mind giving books or a stuffed animal to a child who doesn't fall asleep, but staying up isn't an option in my daycare. The great thing is that parents have a choice in where to enroll their child, so if my program doesn't fit their needs or philosophy, they don't have to sign up with me.
nannyde 01:13 PM 07-22-2015

We get to say NO. I don't care what time a parent puts their kid to bed. That's not an issue. Requesting no nap without compensation is the problem. I don't provide service to children who don't need a full afternoon nap. I don't have the no nap service included in my fees. If a parent wanted to do no nap they would need to pay $125 a week in addition to the regular tuition. With that money I would hire a no nap assistant for two hours a day.

Voila... problem solved
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, sleep - issues, sleep time transitions
Reply Up