Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dear Parents
SunshineMama 06:34 AM 09-24-2013
Dear Parents,

Today, ALL of you brought your children to my home. ALL of them were sick, whiny, and miserable, and you ALL knew it. One of you even tried to call it allergies. That was special...

Yes, it externally appears to be only a runny nose, but your little darling's runny nose gets slimed all over their hands and faces, and my house...multiply that by everyone. Thats just plain nasty. All that crying and whining is because your poor child is too sick to play and enjoy life;
your 4 year old isnt teething. And guess what? You got my baby sick now, so most of my attention will be focused on comforting my child, because thats my # 1 job as a mom.

So I will be closed for the next 2 days, to take care of my child, and sanitize my home. And while you are at home, doing what you should have been doing in the first place, think about how you would feel, and what you would think about me if I dropped my whiny, sick, slimy nosed baby off at your house, called it allergies, and then left for 10 hours.

Sincerely,

"The Babysitter" (we can talk about that special title later...but the point is, it does not say nurse"
Zoe 06:39 AM 09-24-2013
Amen. This was my day yesterday.
Brooksie 07:35 AM 09-24-2013
This has been my past 2 weeks 3 are finally better and the boy I sent home last week is back today 100%, but the littlest guy I have got sick from all this and is now being kept home today after he was MISERABLE yesterday (had to hold him for over an hour because he screamed and cried if I put him down) Mom dropped him off claiming allergies. Hopefully this is the end of this round, although TIS the season!
caregiver 08:40 AM 09-24-2013
These are my DCP also. Runny noses, fever here, but says they have no fever at home, but just teething or allergies. I also have a set of parents that makes me feel guilty if I call them at work to come pick up their child because they are not feeling good telling me that they have no more PTO and can't take time off from work,and have no one else to come pick the child up. Then will tell me that one of them will TRY to get off a little early to come get their child, but that could be only half an hour before regular pickup time.
Also I hate(sorry for changing the subject here a little bit)but when parents don't dress their child for the weather,like wearing a sundress when the temp is only 50 degrees and coming with no jacket or sweater and the poor child is so cold and then they wonder why their child got a cold! Or coming in sandals, no socks when it is in the 40's which has happened here and their little feet are so cold also. Where did common sense go these days......there is non! Sorry for the rant, I just feel for the kids.
SunshineMama 09:10 AM 09-24-2013
Its awful really. I understand not being able to take time off, but its hard to have empathy for parents who use all of their vacation days up in the first half of the year with kids in daycare. Im over it.
caregiver 09:19 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Its awful really. I understand not being able to take time off, but its hard to have empathy for parents who use all of their vacation days up in the first half of the year with kids in daycare. Im over it.

daycarediva 09:40 AM 09-24-2013
I sent home a kid last week for diarrhea. The dcp's were VERY upset because they had no more PTO. Well, you took 3 weeks off over spring/summer. Dck was here. PLAN AHEAD!

As part of my daily health checks, I now take temperatures upon arrival. Anything over 100 doesn't get past the door. I have sent home 2 kids in the past few months that 'failed' the temp 'test'.
Leigh 09:56 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
These are my DCP also. Runny noses, fever here, but says they have no fever at home, but just teething or allergies. I also have a set of parents that makes me feel guilty if I call them at work to come pick up their child because they are not feeling good telling me that they have no more PTO and can't take time off from work,and have no one else to come pick the child up. Then will tell me that one of them will TRY to get off a little early to come get their child, but that could be only half an hour before regular pickup time.
Also I hate(sorry for changing the subject here a little bit)but when parents don't dress their child for the weather,like wearing a sundress when the temp is only 50 degrees and coming with no jacket or sweater and the poor child is so cold and then they wonder why their child got a cold! Or coming in sandals, no socks when it is in the 40's which has happened here and their little feet are so cold also. Where did common sense go these days......there is non! Sorry for the rant, I just feel for the kids.
I have one that has told me since February that they are out of vacation time, but they always manage to get a day off when they have something they want to do, just not when their kids are ill...they always sigh and say that the kids aren't THAT sick. Whatever. Keep 'em home.
Leanna 10:08 AM 09-24-2013
So you all exclude for runny noses and common cold symptoms?
Shell 10:11 AM 09-24-2013
Dear Parents,

Today, ALL of you brought your children to my home. ALL of them were sick, whiny, and miserable, and you ALL knew it. One of you even tried to call it allergies. That was special...

Yes, it externally appears to be only a runny nose, but your little darling's runny nose gets slimed all over their hands and faces, and my house...multiply that by everyone. Thats just plain nasty. All that crying and whining is because your poor child is too sick to play and enjoy life;
your 4 year old isnt teething. And guess what? You got my baby sick now, so most of my attention will be focused on comforting my child, because thats my # 1 job as a mom.

So I will be closed for the next 2 days, to take care of my child, and sanitize my home. And while you are at home, doing what you should have been doing in the first place, think about how you would feel, and what you would think about me if I dropped my whiny, sick, slimy nosed baby off at your house, called it allergies, and then left for 10 hours.

Sincerely,

"The Babysitter" (we can talk about that special title later...but the point is, it does not say nurse"
Love this! No one is ever sick here, either. It's always teething or allergies!
melilley 10:37 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
So you all exclude for runny noses and common cold symptoms?
I don't exclude for runny noses or common cold symptoms, unless the child is miserable. My son has a runny nose and is teething ( I can legitimately say he is, he has no other symptoms) so I know it happens. If I excluded for runny noses or the common cold, I don't think anyone would come here. The snot is gross though...lol
MCC 10:38 AM 09-24-2013
This is my day too! I sent a kid home yesterday b/c she was crying/screaming/wanting to lay down at 9am. This is so out of her "norm". Last night DCM texted that she was fine once she got home and "She will be coming to daycare tomorrow" Obviously she was fine at home, because she was RESTING! I'm still not sure how to address DCM telling me she was bringing here vs. asking me...

Daycare is not a place for resting.
Leanna 10:39 AM 09-24-2013
[quote=melilley;392435]I don't exclude for runny noses or common cold symptoms, unless the child is miserable. My son has a runny nose and is teething ( I can legitimately say he is, he has no other symptoms) so I know it happens. If I excluded for runny noses or the common cold, I don't think anyone would come here.

I agree. If I excluded for common cold symptoms, I'd never have any kids and none of their parents would be able to work!
MotherNature 12:07 PM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I don't exclude for runny noses or common cold symptoms, unless the child is miserable. My son has a runny nose and is teething ( I can legitimately say he is, he has no other symptoms) so I know it happens. If I excluded for runny noses or the common cold, I don't think anyone would come here. The snot is gross though...lol
Same here. I tell the parents at drop-off- If they're lethargic & miserable, then they may get a call to pick-up, and they've all been cool with that. The only time I'vehad to do that w/ my parents was a couple months ago. DCG had a summer cold and mom asked if she could bring her, had no fever, just runny nose..I said sure as we had the same thing here too. Mom texted a couple hrs later & asked how she was- told her- no appetite, just laying on the couch, lethargic. I didn't even mention her needing to go home.She said, well, I don't want to infect you guys more, and she'll feel better at home, so I'll finish up this project & leave in half an hr & take her home. I love that parent. So considerate.
jenn 02:12 PM 09-24-2013
AMEN!

Those darn allergies and teething. I swear some of my kids must have 30 teeth at the age of 2.
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, sick kids, sick policy
Reply Up