Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child That Vomits Because They Hate Vegetables?
CedarCreek 11:54 AM 10-24-2013
Ick.

My new dcg was eating lunch but not her veggies I told her that's okay but we usually eat at least one. She picked up a green bean and started to chew and then... Blech. All over her and the table.

She was definitely not ill, her temp was normal and she went right in playing after that.

Is this really where some kids are at with veggies? When I was a kid, you ate what was given to you. I guess some kids really just hate veggies though.

Ever had one like this? Any tips?

Usually I just dump it and don't worry about it but I can usually get at least one bite in them.
itlw8 12:00 PM 10-24-2013
yep and it was green beans I just started serving 3 veggies and let them choose 2. he was not trying to vomit it happened as soon as her tried to eat it.
melilley 12:04 PM 10-24-2013
I have a child who has a texture aversion (sp?). He has never done it here, but when he first started (7 months ago so he is older now and is almost over it) mom said that when he eats/ate certain foods he will gag and throw up because of the texture.

But if it's just with veggies then I don't think that's the problem...lol
Brooksie 12:07 PM 10-24-2013
I have a dcg who is extremely picky. Barely eats any thing. I had her try a mandarin orange one time and she took a nibble and gagged and almost threw up. She's thrown up probably 4-5 times during lunch and she's only been here 3 months..
Memc2001 12:10 PM 10-24-2013
I know they are "just kids" but isn't that the most frustrating thing?! I HATE throwing good food away even if I am required to serve it. I have 2-3 DCK's that won't even try the food let alone vomit it up. UGH
Heidi 12:13 PM 10-24-2013
My oldest did this too (now 23). He tells me now it was taste and texture. He's also pretty much over it.

Don't force the issue. This is one of those kids that CANNOT eat certain foods. Let it go. Honestly, the more you make out of it, the worse it'll be. They get to a point where every meal is dreaded.

Imagine every meal making you feel like we feel when we have to go to the dentist or the gynecologist. Not a very nice way to spend your meals...

I often wonder how my son or other children like this would have survived in a place or time where food is less abundant. Do children in less developed counties say no to certain foods? Luckily, our children don't have to find out.
BrooklynM 12:15 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Ick.

My new dcg was eating lunch but not her veggies I told her that's okay but we usually eat at least one. She picked up a green bean and started to chew and then... Blech. All over her and the table.

She was definitely not ill, her temp was normal and she went right in playing after that.

Is this really where some kids are at with veggies? When I was a kid, you ate what was given to you. I guess some kids really just hate veggies though.

Usually I just dump it and don't worry about it but I can usually get at least one bite in them.
I haven't had one yet, they just spit it out, but I was one! This little girl, was ME! This was exactly how I was growing up. I have a horrible gag reflex. There are things like beans (I eat green beens but no pinto, refried, black beans, etc) that I can never eat again because of throwing them up when I was a child. The last time I ate beans, it was pork and beans in the cafeteria at school, I was 6 years old. I vomited all over the table. I wasn't sick, I just didn't like the texture and the teacher told me to swallow it. I can't eat peppers, deviled eggs, sausage, bacon or pickles either.

I do like a lot of veggies though. My mom was very patient and had me try a lot but told me not to swallow it unless I liked it. That seemed to really work. Still to this day, I cannot swallow something I don't like or it will come right up. I have such a sensitive stomach I take adult gummy vitamins.
JoseyJo 12:36 PM 10-24-2013

Yep- I have one now and I was like this as a child. Usually a texture thing. With me I was hamburger, potatoes, beans and eggs mostly. With my dcb it is most veges and fruits (he will drink juice, eat applesauce and most tomatoes products). If I tried to eat those things as I child it was instant gag reflex, my dcb does the same thing.

My suggestion is to keep putting it on the plate but don't make anyone eat anything they don't want. This is my reason for NOT using the "no thank you bite". I now eat all of the things I couldn't as a child but I don't think I would have if I was forced to as a child. My DGB5 ate 1 bite of peach yesterday (he gagged, but he tried it all on his own, because HE wanted to) and today he ate 1 piece of cooked cabbage and didn't even gag
TwinKristi 01:25 PM 10-24-2013
My son does this with certain foods. He just cannot tolerate them. He's almost 10 and we still have him try a bite and sometimes he just gags and can't get it down. What can you do?
sharlan 01:32 PM 10-24-2013
Yes.

I NEVER force a child to eat something they say they don't like. I encourage, but let it go at that. My eldest grandson is very much a texture and color eater. He will gag and vomit if he's given anything slimey (bananas, jello, ham) or green (grapes, broccoli).

I once held a ham sandwich and told one of my daycare kids to take a bite. He had eaten a ton of ham sandwiches at my house without a problem. He said he didn't like ham, but because he'd eaten them before, I didn't quite believe him. He took one bite and threw up all over two kids' lunches, the table, and the floor. I learned my lesson quickly.
daycare 01:54 PM 10-24-2013
Im with the bandwagon of don't force it. This is a battle you will never win. I have one that will scream bloody you know what if they even see it on their plate. KNowing this, I want to be proactive about it, so I just don't put it on his plate anymore.

I am on the food program and I cleared it up with my Rep to make sure I was still ok. She said as long as I asked him and have it available, then it is not a problem.

I am one of the most picky eaters on the planet earth, so I can sympathize with these kids............
JoseyJo 02:32 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
Im with the bandwagon of don't force it. This is a battle you will never win. I have one that will scream bloody you know what if they even see it on their plate. KNowing this, I want to be proactive about it, so I just don't put it on his plate anymore.

I am on the food program and I cleared it up with my Rep to make sure I was still ok. She said as long as I asked him and have it available, then it is not a problem.

I am one of the most picky eaters on the planet earth, so I can sympathize with these kids............
My dcb5 used to throw a fit if I put certain foods on the plate but I still kept doing it. I just tell them "you don't have to eat it, but everyone gets the same plate". He is okay with it now, just doesn't eat it!
SSWonders 02:40 PM 10-24-2013
I have a dcb that will throw up any time there is something in his mouth he doesn't like. The general rule here is that if you want seconds of anything you need to TRY what you have on your plate first. You don't have to eat it if you decide not to, but you have to try a tiny taste. Not a good idea with this kid. He won't fight me on trying things, but he has a good gag reflex and will throw up...right onto his plate....his whole meal. My taste rule isn't worth it, lol.
daycare 02:43 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
My dcb5 used to throw a fit if I put certain foods on the plate but I still kept doing it. I just tell them "you don't have to eat it, but everyone gets the same plate". He is okay with it now, just doesn't eat it!
I did try that and it did not work with this kid. I chose my battles, so I decided that I was not going to listen to the screaming and just not even waste the food.;...
JoseyJo 03:24 PM 10-24-2013
li
I did try that and it did not work with this kid. I chose my battles, so I decided that I was not going to listen to the screaming and just not even waste the food.;...
Totally get it- I tried leaving it off w/ my dcb to not waste the food but he did the opposite and started getting mad about his plate being not *just so*. So I went back to everyone has the same, just take one
daycare 03:27 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
li

Totally get it- I tried leaving it off w/ my dcb to not waste the food but he did the opposite and started getting mad about his plate being not *just so*. So I went back to everyone has the same, just take one
lol you got to love kids....they always keep you on your toes.......
Willow 03:31 PM 10-24-2013
My daughter will eat anything and everything, except raw carrots.

I never have to ask her to clean her plate, but a single raw carrot will bring her to her knees.

Sometimes it's not a matter of picky eating, or an aversion to all veg, it may have just been that one that gave her trouble. I'd not make a big deal of it and continue to offer others in a positive light
CedarCreek 05:50 AM 10-25-2013
Thanks everyone!

I asked mom at pick up and she says she does that with ALL veggies..

Good to know.
My3cents 11:37 AM 10-25-2013
Ick.

yes me!!! Certain foods turn my stomach, textures, smells. I would put them on her plate and let her decide if she wants to eat them. I don't push-

I am guessing she is not introduced at home to vegetables. Many kids are not.

It is my job to serve the food, it is the child's job to eat it, even if they eat nothing at all- Food Program gave me this information.

of course this is not for the child who eats nothing at all as in having medical issues because of not eating.

Just place one or two on the plate every time and if others eat it she might just try it one of these days.

I truly feel forcing eating can be the start of many other issues-
My3cents 11:43 AM 10-25-2013
don' think of it as wasting. Think of it as introducing. Put one or two of a veggie on this plate every time. If he eats it great, if it sits there give it to fido or think of it as an introduction. Offer more if he likes it and if he doesn't don't make a big deal out of it. Just don't put a full helping.
My3cents 11:45 AM 10-25-2013
Thanks everyone!

I asked mom at pick up and she says she does that with ALL veggies..

Good to know.
ask mom to keep introducing them to her even if she doesn't eat them.
daycarediva 12:18 PM 10-25-2013
Ick.

My dd puked when I told her she HAD to try green beans. To this day, she eats every vegetable BUT green beans. An honest TRUE dislike.
CedarCreek 12:20 PM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
ask mom to keep introducing them to her even if she doesn't eat them.
She says she does but who knows.

She did try raw carrots today and liked them

Some things, I cant blame the kids for not liking them. Cauliflower and lima beans disgust me.
daycare 12:26 PM 10-25-2013
one thing that you can try is offering vanilla yogurt for veggie dipping. It is a healthier choice than cheese or ranch.

I give it to the kids from time to time for dipping
Familycare71 08:18 PM 10-25-2013
So I have a question... When I serve lunch I do the no thank you bite. I always try to make sure there is one thing on the plate each child likes. If you don't do the no thank you bite do you allow them seconds on the food they like? Do they ever try the other foods?
Thanks!
Tags:vegetables
Reply Up