Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Sure What To Think......
maelb05 02:18 PM 01-24-2019
I have a 12 month old in care who in the last month has been either taking one 20 minute nap or no nap at all. I have had him in care since 3 months old. I also have his 2 1/2 year old sibling.
Since both were young infants, mom has said they go to bed between 5:30-6p and sleep until 6-7:30am. They are in care with me from 8am- 4:30-5pm.
Neither ever took good naps as infants (20-30 minutes twice a day). Once the oldest got to be 2 years old though has been napping anywhere from 1-3 hours. I wake him after 3 hours. Mom says this does not affect his nighttime sleep.
With the younger one though, I do wonder if he really is sleeping that much at night, if that is why he has started not napping at all during the day?
A couple side notes: the 12 month old does a lot of high pitched squealing/screeching throughout the day. He has done this since about 6-7 months old. I have also noticed that when I check on him during nap time, he is usually just sitting rocking back and forth against the mesh of the pack n play. Could these things all be a phase he is going through or does it seem concerning in any way?
littlefriends 02:22 PM 01-24-2019
They’re with you all day and then go to bed that early?! Are they there Mon-Fri?
maelb05 02:29 PM 01-24-2019
Yes
jenboo 03:06 PM 01-24-2019
How long do you leave them in bed after they wake up 20 min later
maelb05 03:24 PM 01-24-2019
I leave him in his pack n play for the whole two hours. For the most part, he is quiet or babbling, so I just check on him throughout quiet time.
littlefriends 03:34 PM 01-24-2019
That’s so sad!!!!
littlefriends 03:35 PM 01-24-2019
Has she said why she puts them to bed so early? Does she feel they need that much sleep?
amberrose3dg 04:07 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
Has she said why she puts them to bed so early? Does she feel they need that much sleep?
I had a sibling pair like that here. They never slept more than 30 or 45 minutes at all. Parents picked them up at 330 and kids in bed at 5pm!
jenboo 06:13 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by maelb05:
I leave him in his pack n play for the whole two hours. For the most part, he is quiet or babbling, so I just check on him throughout quiet time.
I would just keep doing this. At least he is getting down time.
maelb05 08:05 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
No, she has never said why. I think she looks at it as it keeps them on a schedule. At some point though, I would think the oldest will grow out of such an early bedtime.
I did mention at one time when they just had the oldest and he wasn't napping well, that it might be a good idea to try keeping him awake longer in the evening hoping that would lengthen naps. I worded it as to encourage the idea of them getting more awake time with him during the week. She agreed to try it, but never followed through.
littlefriends 05:32 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would just keep doing this. At least he is getting down time.
I agree. At least he’s quiet and accepts it. This just amazes me though, just so sad. Why have kids?! Basically you’re raising them for her. I wonder if they nap on the weekends at home?
littlefriends 05:35 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by maelb05:
No, she has never said why. I think she looks at it as it keeps them on a schedule. At some point though, I would think the oldest will grow out of such an early bedtime.
I did mention at one time when they just had the oldest and he wasn't napping well, that it might be a good idea to try keeping him awake longer in the evening hoping that would lengthen naps. I worded it as to encourage the idea of them getting more awake time with him during the week. She agreed to try it, but never followed through.
As long as it’s basically the same time and routine every night would be keeping them on a schedule. Going to bed at 8 every night after a family dinner time, some playing time, bath and books is also keeping them on a schedule the only difference is that one scenario you spend some time together with your kids and the other scenario you don’t.
Ariana 07:00 AM 01-25-2019
My hunch is that they are not sleeping that long but are left in their beds that long. The baby is likely trying to make up for lack of brain stimulation by staying awake at your house. I would have a chat with mom about keeping him up longer.
Snowmom 07:18 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My hunch is that they are not sleeping that long but are left in their beds that long. The baby is likely trying to make up for lack of brain stimulation by staying awake at your house. I would have a chat with mom about keeping him up longer.

Tags:won't sleep
Reply Up