Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Respond to PIA Mom
Sprouts 11:19 PM 11-18-2011
PIA=Pain the you know what

Okay so yes it is flu and cold season and unfortunately colds have been cycling around the kids and adults (this is why i am changing to well only daycare once the last cold is gone)...

her son had been out before for a cold, an ear infection and now on friday out because of another cold that went around. She texts me early this evening asking how many kids is he in contact with and then at 12:00am! asking how many adults is he in contact with!!!!

I want to reply...well you also have to count all of the children you come into contact with as well (shes a teacher)....but haven't had the balls yet because my smart a$$ mouth usually gets me into deeper holes....

anyhow, how would some of you "DIPLOMATICALLY" approach this mother???
Lucy 11:26 PM 11-18-2011
I usually ignore pita texts. "Oh, I never saw that" if they ask. But normally they don't, because they realize later that it was a stupid text in the first place.
nannyde 02:25 AM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by Sprouts:

Okay so yes it is flu and cold season and unfortunately colds have been cycling around the kids and adults (this is why i am changing to well only daycare once the last cold is gone)...

her son had been out before for a cold, an ear infection and now on friday out because of another cold that went around. She texts me early this evening asking how many kids is he in contact with and then at 12:00am! asking how many adults is he in contact with!!!!

I want to reply...well you also have to count all of the children you come into contact with as well (shes a teacher)....but haven't had the balls yet because my smart a$$ mouth usually gets me into deeper holes....

I hope he doesn't have something wicked and the doctors are asking her to find out who he has exposed.
e.j. 05:45 AM 11-19-2011

"As a teacher, you know how contagious colds are. I'm sure you've seen the same thing happen in your classroom. One kid comes in with the sniffles and the next minute, everyone has it. By the time the last kid gets it, the first kid is coming back down with it and so on. I'm the only adult he's has contact with during his day here. Since I'm licensed for (#) children, he comes in contact with (#) other children at any given time. Why do you ask? Has he been diagnosed with something more serious than a cold?"
Sprouts 05:46 AM 11-19-2011
Wow I didn't even think about that! Should I ask her "why , is there something that I should know about? " ????
SilverSabre25 06:01 AM 11-19-2011
Wow I didn't even think about that! Should I ask her "why , is there something that I should know about? " ????
yeah...that might be the answer i would go with.
Kaddidle Care 06:41 AM 11-19-2011
Yep, and make sure you wait until after midnight to respond. (just kidding)

I wouldn't have responded at that hour either. Oye!
Sprouts 08:35 AM 11-20-2011
SO i asked her is there something i should be worried about?? And she just responded that because he has been getting sick so often he might be better in a smaller environment, but she wants to see how the "well only" policy works out....I told her very nicely...that she should do whats best for her son, and i will have no hard feelings, just give me 2 weeks notice

I didn't mention the 12 am text, if it happens again i will address it, but feel its not worth it right now.

Thank you for advice ALL =)
jen 09:25 AM 11-20-2011
I had a parent whose child was constantly catching things and of course, Mom thought it was from here. I finally had to point out that as the receptionist at a doctors office she was in contact with ALOT of sick people each day and suggested that she was her hands and change out of her scrubs before picking up daycare child...guess what...problem solved.
youretooloud 10:54 AM 11-20-2011
I had a dad who worked in a pediatric intensive care unit. His kids were always the first kids to get sick. We started having him change clothes and shower before picking them up, and it solved the problem.
daycare 12:27 PM 11-20-2011
I have one that always ALWAYS get sick.

Every other week its something else.

The child is only here PT 3 days a week.

The only place he naps is when he is here. The boy goes to bed when he is at home about 10-11pm and wakes early around 6:30-7am . He is only 3 yrs old. I don't think that his immune system is getting enough time to recover.

When he is here the first thing he does is fall face first into his nap mat and will pass out for hours. I let him sleep when he wants to. As long as something else is not going on.

I've tried talking to the mom about it, but mom says he doesnt need naps.....
Sprouts 04:48 PM 11-20-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I had a parent whose child was constantly catching things and of course, Mom thought it was from here. I finally had to point out that as the receptionist at a doctors office she was in contact with ALOT of sick people each day and suggested that she was her hands and change out of her scrubs before picking up daycare child...guess what...problem solved.
This is true, she is a teacher and I did bring that up to her, her response was that he has been in daycare since he was 5 months old and he had only one cold and was in contact with only 1-3 children, but wait! I remember her telling me he was the only child being watched by previous "nanny" hmmm anyways.....my solution i think will have parents wash their hands or sanitize before entering or touching their children....

anyone have any good posters link about cleaning hands??? I know the steering wheel is like one of the dirtiest parts of the car....so something to that effect
kathiemarie 05:40 PM 11-20-2011
Unless the child lives in a bubble after Daycare hours how do they know they are getting colds from DC? I always tell my parents "if you never leave the house with your child or you yourself never leave your house then yes you can blame sickness on DC but if that is not the case well...call it life."
jen 06:32 PM 11-20-2011
This is true, she is a teacher and I did bring that up to her, her response was that he has been in daycare since he was 5 months old and he had only one cold and was in contact with only 1-3 children, but wait! I remember her telling me he was the only child being watched by previous "nanny" hmmm anyways.....my solution i think will have parents wash their hands or sanitize before entering or touching their children....

anyone have any good posters link about cleaning hands??? I know the steering wheel is like one of the dirtiest parts of the car....so something to that effect
Was he being breast fed when he in his previous daycare/with his nanny? She may simply be unawared that preschoolers have several colds per year...

How many colds do children usually get each year?
Statistics show that preschool-aged children have around nine colds per year, kindergartners can have 12 colds per year, and adolescents and adults have about seven colds per year. Cold season runs from September until March or April, so children usually catch most cold viruses during these months.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...children_colds
Christian Mother 08:58 PM 11-20-2011
Here is the way I look at it. All though we don't want our children to fall ill ever. I think the first few yrs of being in daycare and getting sick helps them build a amenity to illness. If they are in a daycare and not sick very often guaranteed their sick all the time during school and then they miss a lot of the first important yrs bc their out sick. My son was sick the first few yrs of birth all the time. He was home with me that first yr then my mom watched him and then a friend and then he was in daycare. Yes, he was sick all through out but he hasn't missed a day of school in 3 yrs and he is in the 3rd grade. His pediatrician said elementary school is very important those first yrs if they miss a lot then it gets very diff. for them to keep up later on. I don't mind much when the kids are sick...I know their all building there amenities and I expect that they'll be passing it on to one another in daycare or at home. It's part of life. We do what we can to prevent it as much as possible but there is no way we can prevent all germs. Not even a small daycare can do that. I have a small daycare. It doesn't matter their still going to get sick no matter what. One of my parents is a teacher...her family comes down quiet a bit with illnesses and everyone ends up sick here as well. I will exclude him if he's running a temp or just plain miserable but we all know the signs to look for when they need to stay home. I think that teacher parent needs to take in consideration that she can be contributing quiet a bit to her sons illnesses. Right now is the season for sickness. They're little carrier monkey's out there. No getting around it....

Oh, and forgot to mention...every time a new child comes to daycare...they always seem to get sick anyway bc there getting used to the new environment. Doesn't matter how clean that new place is. Have you ever noticed that...
safechner 09:54 PM 11-20-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Here is the way I look at it. All though we don't want our children to fall ill ever. I think the first few yrs of being in daycare and getting sick helps them build a amenity to illness. If they are in a daycare and not sick very often guaranteed their sick all the time during school and then they miss a lot of the first important yrs bc their out sick. My son was sick the first few yrs of birth all the time. He was home with me that first yr then my mom watched him and then a friend and then he was in daycare. Yes, he was sick all through out but he hasn't missed a day of school in 3 yrs and he is in the 3rd grade. His pediatrician said elementary school is very important those first yrs if they miss a lot then it gets very diff. for them to keep up later on. I don't mind much when the kids are sick...I know their all building there amenities and I expect that they'll be passing it on to one another in daycare or at home. It's part of life. We do what we can to prevent it as much as possible but there is no way we can prevent all germs. Not even a small daycare can do that. I have a small daycare. It doesn't matter their still going to get sick no matter what. One of my parents is a teacher...her family comes down quiet a bit with illnesses and everyone ends up sick here as well. I will exclude him if he's running a temp or just plain miserable but we all know the signs to look for when they need to stay home. I think that teacher parent needs to take in consideration that she can be contributing quiet a bit to her sons illnesses. Right now is the season for sickness. They're little carrier monkey's out there. No getting around it....

Oh, and forgot to mention...every time a new child comes to daycare...they always seem to get sick anyway bc there getting used to the new environment. Doesn't matter how clean that new place is. Have you ever noticed that...
Well, all children are different. I have been doing daycare for 10 years and I have two daughters of my own who are 9 years old and 10 years old. Both of my girls only got sick 3-4 times all of their life. My youngest daughter's last time she was sick with strep (first time) when she was in kindergarten. Now, she is in 3rd grade. My oldest daughter's last time she was sick with strep (first time too) when she was in 1st grade. Now she is in 5th grade. They haven't gotten sick ever since.
SilverSabre25 04:55 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Was he being breast fed when he in his previous daycare/with his nanny? She may simply be unawared that preschoolers have several colds per year...

How many colds do children usually get each year?
Statistics show that preschool-aged children have around nine colds per year, kindergartners can have 12 colds per year, and adolescents and adults have about seven colds per year. Cold season runs from September until March or April, so children usually catch most cold viruses during these months.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...children_colds
good grief! I guess that's an interesting testament to the crappiness of some (most?!) people's immune systems then. In all my life I have *never* gotten sick that much. My DD has probably had 9 colds in her entire 49 months of life, and it's possible that between us DH and I get 7 colds per year...but I'd wager that it's more like 4 total, for both of us.

even my daycare kids don't get sick anywhere NEAR that much.
Tags:contagious, ear infection, sickness
Reply Up