Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Texting for Late Pickup, What to Say
DaisyMamma 01:05 PM 01-13-2015
I'm so out of practice and this is a new daycare family
She texted saying she will be late.
I don't do late. She needs to be here when she agreed to. What do I say without being rude?
I haven't had to deal with the type of crap in so long!
KIDZRMYBIZ 01:09 PM 01-13-2015
"Thanks for letting me know so that I can change my plans. The late pick-up fee is $xx, due tonight or at drop-off tomorrow. Drive safe!"
TheGoodLife 01:15 PM 01-13-2015
I always have something that I'm heading to if someone tells me they will be late. "Sorry, DCM, I have plans and need to leave right at X:00". I don't remind them of the late fee until/unless they are still late- gives the impression they can still be late if they are willing to pay. Of course, I do assess the late fee if they accrue it.
daycare 01:39 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
"Thanks for letting me know so that I can change my plans. The late pick-up fee is $xx, due tonight or at drop-off tomorrow. Drive safe!"
THis...

Sorry, DCM I would love to be flexible, but need advance notice, so that I can make arrangements if needed. I will not be able to accommodate your last minute request this evening. Can you call someone from your back up list or emergency contact list to make sure DCK is picked up on time?

wait for a reply and if dcm says NO, then tell her that you will let it slide this one time, but the late fee will be _________________.

I recently started that if they are here past my closing it's an automatic $15.00 late fee PLUS $1.00 per min after closing. Too many people were taking their sweet time getting here and I am DONE, I want to be OFF..... just like anyone else.
Cat Herder 01:44 PM 01-13-2015
"That won't work for me. Please contact your back up transportation."

Serves a firm no. No at any cost.
DaisyMamma 01:57 PM 01-13-2015
Thanks for the support every one. I went with the "i have plans to leave at 5:30" and she's on her way, no questions asked
I don't see this family ending well, but for now it's resolved.
Unregistered 01:59 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Yes. I always tell my families that "I am unable to accommodate late pick-ups, so alternate arrangements must be made." No late fees or late pick-ups.
permanentvacation 02:02 PM 01-13-2015
Sorry, I have plans, I can't watch him late. I need either you or someone on your emergency contact list to be here by ... (the time she's supposed to be there).

If she ignores your statement, when she arrives, have her contract out to show her the agreed upon late fee and demand your late fee to be paid tonight (or whenever you have it in your contract .. but I hope you have it in the contract that the late fee is due at the time of pick up on the day they are late). If you want to, you could also have a letter of termination written up and hand that to her.
permanentvacation 02:04 PM 01-13-2015
That's good that you held your ground. And that she respects you enough to come get her child since you said you can not watch the child late.
DaisyMamma 02:11 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes. I always tell my families that "I am unable to accommodate late pick-ups, so alternate arrangements must be made." No late fees or late pick-ups.
That's really, really good. I'm going to adopt that.
daycare 02:18 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
That's really, really good. I'm going to adopt that.
while I agree with this, I would never be able to enroll families if I said that.

Because of where I live, traffic in the Bay area can be mortifying at times. Things happen beyond parents control and as long as it was not happening all of the time, then I would not mind.

BUT the question I do have is what time did mom tell you she was going to be late picking up? If she text me at 3pm and normally picks up at 530, heck NO. you have plenty of time to arrange DCK getting picked up on time.

If DCM notified you that she would be 10min late, stuck in traffic on the freeway , and it happens once every 3 months, then it happens.....

I guess different things work for different providers and their area.
DaisyMamma 05:25 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
while I agree with this, I would never be able to enroll families if I said that.

Because of where I live, traffic in the Bay area can be mortifying at times. Things happen beyond parents control and as long as it was not happening all of the time, then I would not mind.

BUT the question I do have is what time did mom tell you she was going to be late picking up? If she text me at 3pm and normally picks up at 530, heck NO. you have plenty of time to arrange DCK getting picked up on time.

If DCM notified you that she would be 10min late, stuck in traffic on the freeway , and it happens once every 3 months, then it happens.....

I guess different things work for different providers and their area.
She's due to pick up at 5:30 and tested at 4:10. We live in a rural area.
Crazy8 06:03 PM 01-13-2015
I hate that text!!!! I usually get the text 5 min before they are due though, so I never want to say "hurry up" or anything like that but I usually let them know I have plans at x:xx time.

A text that early they can definitely make other arrangements for pick up!!
Play Care 05:37 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

This. It's one thing if I'm asked - it's another thing entirely to be told...
Tags:late pick-up, late pickup
Reply Up