Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transition Time
mamamanda 06:29 PM 03-30-2015
How do you guys handle transition times? I've worked really hard at making some positive changes to the atmosphere here the last couple months. I really do have a rowdy group, but we are doing so much better with listening, table manners, play time, etc. I feel like I lose them though whenever we transition from one activity to the next, especially getting ready to go outside, come back in from outside, or when washing up after an activity. It can literally take me 20 minutes to get 6 children ready to go outside. I do try to teach independence and have them put on their shoes/coats by themselves when they're able, but while I'm getting the younger children ready the older ones who have typically already finished are getting into everything. I think this group is just hard. They are always looking for an opportunity to run, climb, look in drawers , etc. I need a way to keep them from going crazy while I'm busy helping another child and they are supposed to be waiting. The other day I was helping dcg wash her hands after a very messy painting project and I turned back around to find that dcb (3) had stripped down completely naked and he thought it was hilarious. Needless to say, I was not impressed.
DaisyMamma 03:58 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
How do you guys handle transition times? I've worked really hard at making some positive changes to the atmosphere here the last couple months. I really do have a rowdy group, but we are doing so much better with listening, table manners, play time, etc. I feel like I lose them though whenever we transition from one activity to the next, especially getting ready to go outside, come back in from outside, or when washing up after an activity. It can literally take me 20 minutes to get 6 children ready to go outside. I do try to teach independence and have them put on their shoes/coats by themselves when they're able, but while I'm getting the younger children ready the older ones who have typically already finished are getting into everything. I think this group is just hard. They are always looking for an opportunity to run, climb, look in drawers , etc. I need a way to keep them from going crazy while I'm busy helping another child and they are supposed to be waiting. The other day I was helping dcg wash her hands after a very messy painting project and I turned back around to find that dcb (3) had stripped down completely naked and he thought it was hilarious. Needless to say, I was not impressed.
Can they sit nicely at the table until called to get ready? Make it a game. Call on the quietest one? Then they get ready and stand in line for the door? As soon as they act up, they go back to the table. All this can happen while you're getting littles dressed.
Peaches 08:24 AM 04-01-2015
You could try to provide individual tasks for each of the kids that don't transition well. such as when getting ready to go outside ask somebody to hold bottle or get somebody else's coat ready etc. Or assign special jobs for the kids like line leader, light operator, cheif cleaner , shoe supervisor etc
daycarediva 10:51 AM 04-01-2015
I have a wild/rough crew right now, too. I have them remain seated and wash up one at a time, then I either assign a job or they return to the table. The child that goes first choses the next child. They get their coats all on, and sit at the table, then I call them one at a time to get shoes, carry them to the back and put them on. I have to physically be near them at all times or there WILL be pushing. 4 year old boys, all with very little self regulation. Fun times!
mamamanda 05:15 PM 04-01-2015
These are some really great ideas. Thanks!
Reply Up