Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Leave Your Kid In An All "One Race" Daycare?
Michelle 07:59 AM 12-17-2011
I have some daycare friends (distant) that have daycares with all one race of kids, I just don't see how they can do that!
They even "screen" parents on the phone and can usually tell the race by their voices and make up an excuse that they are full or can't accommodate their hours.

I have a very mixed group of kids. I don't even see color.
But it did make me start thinking that if I had to put my child in daycare would it make a difference of the racial mix? My answer is "no"!

I have been faced with racism though, and a couple times I have had interviews and one grandma and one dad had walked out in a huff and say" I don't see any black kids in there!" I'm like That was years ago and my dynamics change from time to time. The only thing I am looking for in a family is the hours I want, rates, and if the parent will follow the rules,and the child seems well adjusted and taken care of. I even had a white family make a comment about how I had too many hispanic or black kids here.. jeez

Why can't people just see "who" you are? not the color or the language you speak? I love my kids and we all learn from each other! I teach them English, they teach me Spanish, I'm even learning Edo (an African language).
I can see deep into my kids eyes and see their beautiful personalities.
Most of the kids call me Aunt Michelle and they love me and so do the parents!

One funny thing did happen one day... I was picking up a dcg from school and a classmate of hers asked her, "is that your white mama?" We both had shocked looks on our faces! I just laughed and said " I'm her Auntie"
I got him thinking!
sharlan 08:03 AM 12-17-2011
I don't see color, I see a child to love.

Over the years, I've had white, black, Hispanic, and Asian of various nationalities. One little girl's father was from Saudi. We called her our Arab princess.
SilverSabre25 08:08 AM 12-17-2011
Well, I would...but I would leave her in a mixed race daycare too. It just doesn't matter much to me. I have mostly had all white kids in my daycare. It's just happenstance, even though I live in a racially diverse area.
PitterPatter 08:11 AM 12-17-2011
I have had a mixture of white and black. Not many hispanics or chinese etc around here but if they were interesed I would enroll them as well. I have had all white at 1 time and then all black another time. Now I have a mixture again. The black families have all been mixed (i hate that word but for lack of another) So not much has been said here thank God because I wouldn't tolerate it. These kids have enough to deal with growing up. It is sad to see parents still see color. I think as long as attitudes like that exist there will always be a problem. These days more and more people are getting over the race issue and having more and more mixed families. I think in the furture most families will be a mix of many races. Maybe then we will finally get over the race issue. Until then all children are welcome here.
Michelle 08:14 AM 12-17-2011
what if the day care provider had a very thick accent?
would you worry that your child would not understand her or maybe even start picking up the accent?
Michelle 08:17 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I have had a mixture of white and black. Not many hispanics or chinese etc around here but if they were interesed I would enroll them as well. I have had all white at 1 time and then all black another time. Now I have a mixture again. The black families have all been mixed (i hate that word but for lack of another) So not much has been said here thank God because I wouldn't tolerate it. These kids have enough to deal with growing up. It is sad to see parents still see color. I think as long as attitudes like that exist there will always be a problem. These days more and more people are getting over the race issue and having more and more mixed families. I think in the furture most families will be a mix of many races. Maybe then we will finally get over the race issue. Until then all children are welcome here.
The term nowadays is biracial.
Where we live , it is very hard to get an Asian family.
They are very particular with what their kids eat and the ones I have had demanded that I hold the babies under the sink to wash their bottoms and not to use baby wipes.
AnneCordelia 08:20 AM 12-17-2011
My town is very white with few other races. All the daycares I know are full of white children simply because of happenstance. I do have an adorable little black boy in my daycare. I like that I can have that culteral diversity for the rest of my children, especially since we moved here from a very diverse city to this small white town.
Michelle 08:21 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't see color, I see a child to love.

Over the years, I've had white, black, Hispanic, and Asian of various nationalities. One little girl's father was from Saudi. We called her our Arab princess.
aw! how cute
I am always so willing to learn more about their culture.
I always look up their country and read about what they eat, language,clothing, customs...etc.
Michelle 08:25 AM 12-17-2011
Well, the reason why I asked this question was because of the responses I have had in the past.
I sorta had that in the back of my mind when I had an interview yesterday.This family is black and my group now is very mixed and thought "o.k. she's going to see I have a black kid, so, now she will be comportable with me" totally ridiculous! I know, but I had that little thought in my mind when I never did before.
These are the times nowadays I guess
AllDeezBabies 08:59 AM 12-17-2011
When I open I hope to have a diverse group of children. We would be able to learn from each other. I love learning about different cultures and it is really a prize to learn from a childs eyes.
Kaddidle Care 09:08 AM 12-17-2011
We have whoever signs up and wants our program.

The only time we even think about color is when we are making things that represent the children and try to find paper to match skin color. We sort of leave it up to them though - we tell them to look in the mirror and try to find the circle (face circle) that looks most like them. Sometimes they pick what everyone else has.

We recently made Indians for Thanksgiving and I had a very brunette boy pick out blonde hair for his Indian. We go with the flow.

Screening for race/color is so wrong in so many ways. That's nuts!

I did have an incident with my own son years ago which opened my eyes. We were in a store and a little girl was behind us and he was making a face and moving away from her. I asked him if he knew her and why was he doing that and he told me "She's so dirty!" I was like "What?" - but then realized that he must have had only white kids in his school class and I had never thought to discuss "color" of skin with him. Needless to say we had a little conversation about it that day. It was just too weird.
Sunchimes 09:08 AM 12-17-2011
I have one biracial child, the others are white. It just worked out that way. I would have taken any child who worked out.

Until this country stops having Miss Black America or Miss Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, and until we stop hearing about the first black police chief or the first Muslim mayor or the first Asian whatever, we will remain divided. How can we feel united when the media and others work so hard to make us stand apart. Just my opinion.
Michelle 09:16 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I have one biracial child, the others are white. It just worked out that way. I would have taken any child who worked out.

Until this country stops having Miss Black America or Miss Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, and until we stop hearing about the first black police chief or the first Muslim mayor or the first Asian whatever, we will remain divided. How can we feel united when the media and others work so hard to make us stand apart. Just my opinion.
good point!
sharlan 09:34 AM 12-17-2011
One of my girls' providers was Viet Namese. Sometimes I had a hard time understanding her. Her mother spoke to the girls in her native tongue. I didn't understand a word she said, but the kids did.

So to actually answer your question, I wouldn't care if all the kids were black, white, or had purple polka dots.
daycare 09:42 AM 12-17-2011
I Think that a lot of it has to do with the area that you live in too.

I live in a small city that is 85% white. I think I am the only person of my race living in this city. My son who is adopted is 1 of 10 African Americans living in this city, and he is only half.

I actually like to try to have my fill of chlidren from different backgrounds. The reason that I do this is because of an awful experience I had with my daughter when she was in preschool.

Several years ago we lived in a very wealthy part of Newport Beach CA. The preschool that my daughter went to was made up of mostly white children, a handful of asian children and a handful of children with dark brown hair and eyes, but don't recall their backgrounds. When you walked into the school, you would see a sea of blonde hair and blue eyed children. It was very common to see in schools in this area.

Well one day my daughter comes home from preschool very upset. I asked her whats wrong. She tells me that today a new girl came to her class and that she is very dirty and needs to take a bath. I thought ok well maybe the girl missed her bath?? I told my daughter that she should get to know this girl and like her if she is a nice person. I told her that a person smelling funny was not a good reason not to like them. My daughter then says NO mommy this girl is very dirty, all of her, she maybe rolled in the mud or something. I start thinking to myself HUH what are you talking about??? So I end to conversation and decided to take care of it the next day at preschool so I can better understand what is going on.

When I pull up to the preschool, I see a little Indian girl standing on one side of the playground and all of the other kids playing. As soon as my daughter saw her from the car, she shouts see mommy that girl, look she didn't take a bath again.......

Tears filled up my eyes. I just didn't get it. Why did my daughter think that? Besides her brother has dark hair and skin, why didn't she ever think that about him?? I looked at all of the kids playing and I turned to my daughter and explained why the girl looked different than us. The best job that I could do for a 4 year old.

We finally got out of the car and I walk up to the girl with my daughter and said hi, Im *** and this is my daughter *** she is in your class, do you guys want to play? The girl looked at us as if she wanted to cry. I had to push to to start playing together and before I knew it they were playing hop scotch.

Well the story goes on. I pick up my daughter from preschool and again tears and upset. Ok now what. My DD says you made me play with the brown girl and now everyone won't be my friend anymore.....WTH uuuggghh..

Long story short, I ended up moving my daughter to a school that was filled with multicultural kids. One where my daughter would come home and tell me stories about her friend from Mexico, Japan, France, Canada, china, Hippie kids, kids with "REAL KIDS CLOTHES" (no labels) and just kids from all walks of life.

For me, that was my family a little bit of everything from every where that at the end of the day all worked, loved, lived and cared in the same way.

To me it was more important to me to have my daughter understand and learn to except people for who they are, not what they look like, smell like, came from, or what kind of clothes they wear. This new school was the right move.

So my daycare is made up the same way. A little bit of everyone from every where....We are all different, just like a puzzle piece no two are the same...But at the end of the day, we all fit together......

Love is always blind.........
frgsonmysox 09:49 AM 12-17-2011
That makes me so sad. I'm Hispanic even though I look about as Irish as they come. I take after my mom and not my dad. Chris's family doesn't know he married a Hispanic, or they'd disown him. To this day they've never met my family.

I try to raise my kids to be color blind
3kidzmama 10:31 AM 12-17-2011
My daycare is made up of Caucasian, African American, Native Americans, Hispanic, and Asian children. Of my own children, two are African American and one is Caucasian. My hubby and I are both Caucasian. We have a very diverse family and a very diverse business, yet we live in a predominately white town. We get a lot of the multicultural families because they feel comfortable with us and they know that we won't treat their children differently just because of skin color.
PolarCare 10:37 AM 12-17-2011
My children aren't all the same race, so I guess an all one race daycare wouldn't take us. I wonder what excuse they would give us when they met my Aleut kids...
lpperry 11:23 AM 12-17-2011
There is not a whole lot of diversity in my specific area. In the schools I grew up in, there was no diversity at all. So, yes, I would send my kids to a daycare/school where the kids were all one race. However, I wouldn't go searching for a daycare that only took ________ kids. I would find the best program and it wouldn't matter to me what the race of the kids are.

I have a small daycare and all the kids happen to be white. It's just because of the area we live in.
Solandia 12:24 PM 12-17-2011
I would choose my child's daycare based on how I felt the provider will care for my child. When I put my own girls in a home daycare, they were in the care of an excellent provider who was African American...mine were the ONLY white kids in the daycare. I didn't realize that until we had met everyone over the course of a couple of week in care. This was in a very 'white' area like 98%, and she was the only licensed AA provider in a city of 20K. The kids loved it there.

I live in a different town now, and the town demographics are about half white, 40-45-ish % hispanic, and the last few percent are everything else. Our community is about 10% non-English speaking. But I have only white daycare kids. The lonely hispanic kid that I do have is mine (a foster child). Much of the hispanic community here live in multi-generational homes, and outside child care is rarely needed.
Sunchimes 12:24 PM 12-17-2011
I had a family turn me down because I didn't speak much Spanish.
C'est la vie. 12:49 PM 12-17-2011
I've worked in an all First Nations centre, my daughter attended as the only non-native child.

I now work in a centre where about half of the children are caucasian, the other half are Asian, Indian, Jamaican, African, South American, Phillipino, European, or any blend of the above. I find segregation offensive. I'm not even sure how I feel about people thinking they need to be kept separate from the general population. There are however differences in beliefs around child rearing. What I like best about it, is that of the 70 families in the centre, every single one, including new immigrants, has embraced Christmas, It's very cool to me that all the parents just want to bring the special holiday to their kids, regardless of race or religion.
spud912 12:57 PM 12-17-2011
I've never even really thought about it, to be honest. My children are mixed (bi-racial if you want to be politically correct), so I guess it automatically is "multicultural."
youretooloud 01:00 PM 12-17-2011
I can't imagine trying to control the race in my daycare.

But, if you live in an area where there is little to no diversity, there's not much you can do. I would choose the best daycare for my family, not the one with the most diversity.

My friend has a white daughter, and he has her in a 99.9% Navajo daycare center. His daughter is the only white person in the entire school. Everybody touches her hair because it's blonde.

But, it's affordable, it's close to his house, and she's happy there.. she doesn't know she's the only white kid there.
Unregistered 02:21 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Well, I would...but I would leave her in a mixed race daycare too. It just doesn't matter much to me. I have mostly had all white kids in my daycare. It's just happenstance, even though I live in a racially diverse area.
Same here. One neighbor daycare has lots of African American kids. Next door neighbor daycare has none and has never had one in 8 years simply b/c she has never interviewed an african american family. I think if you make a big deal out of race it becomes a big deal. I would send my kid where ever I was comfortable with their care regarless of the other kids in care.
Michelle 02:23 PM 12-17-2011
I totally agree with all of you and Daycare, that was a wonderful thing you did for your daughter!
Wish there were more people like you!

I don't know why these provider friends do this. (it's actually against licensing regs.)
I have also been seeing a lot of care.com ads saying " Muslim preferred" and Filipino preferred .. It's actually really sad that these families could be missing out on some awesome providers that would be willing to learn about their culture and make their countries food dishes just for fun and a learning experience for the other kids.
Heidi 03:50 PM 12-17-2011
I wish we had more diversity here!

We moved from Madison to Timbuktu 10 years ago. Quite a change for my children. My older boys (21 & 19) have a much different perspective than my younger ones (14 &11).

In Madison, I had children of all different ethnic and social backgrounds. Here, it's pretty much vanilla!

I remember when I would take a wagon full of children on outings. 7 or 8 children, all under the age of 5, blond, hispanc, mixed race, and black. Inevitably, a sweet elderly person would smile and ask "are they all yours?'

"uhh..yeah"...I wanted to answer. "I boinked EVERY GUY in the neighborhood!" yeah, I didn't actually say that.....
Sunchimes 04:09 PM 12-17-2011
I had two of my kids in a double stroller. One blonde and one mixed, with dark hair and hazel eyes. They are 3 weeks apart in age. One nice little old lady asked me if my granddaughters were twins. I didn't laugh out loud, really I didn't. Ok, I almost did. Is that even possible?
Michelle 05:08 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I had two of my kids in a double stroller. One blonde and one mixed, with dark hair and hazel eyes. They are 3 weeks apart in age. One nice little old lady asked me if my granddaughters were twins. I didn't laugh out loud, really I didn't. Ok, I almost did. Is that even possible?
actually yes, it has happened.
A fertility clinic messed up and implanted a black mans sperm along with this white woman's husbands sperm and she has black/white twins!
Sunchimes 05:59 PM 12-17-2011
Definitely a mess up.

I was thinking maybe they could be twins and one took after the mom and one took after the dad. But, not in this case. ;-)
Crazy8 07:20 PM 12-17-2011
I would not turn anyone away based on race but I will admit in my 10+ years I have only had maybe 2-3 children that were not fully caucasian. It's not something I can really control, my town is 90% white and its all I've ever received calls for. Would I ever turn away a client because they were not white - NO WAY!!
cheerfuldom 07:35 PM 12-17-2011
That is a shocking post, OP. i am "ethnic" race and would cry to know that someone would not want to work with me based on that reason or would not want their kids around my "mixed" children. Thats just a sad, sad state and shame on people to be thinking that way. I never really thought about it but perhaps some people that have interviewed and not gone with me, did so because they had a problem with my race.
Michelle 08:41 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
That is a shocking post, OP. i am "ethnic" race and would cry to know that someone would not want to work with me based on that reason or would not want their kids around my "mixed" children. Thats just a sad, sad state and shame on people to be thinking that way. I never really thought about it but perhaps some people that have interviewed and not gone with me, did so because they had a problem with my race.
I'm sorry, I am just having a little trouble understanding what you are saying.
Do you mean the "so called friend" providers that I mentioned who discriminate?
Or something someone else said?
BigMama 08:49 PM 12-17-2011
To screen people and refuse to interview/enroll them based on their race is called RACISM. Point blank. End of story. It is disgusting and I hope she isn't passing her bigotry down to the children in her care.
I live in a fairly large urban area and my daycare has always been multi-cultural. I've had children from every race, religion, and walk of life. When we get stares at the playground and people ask, "Are these all your children?" I smile and say yes.
I would have to say though, that I am not "colorblind." To say that you are "colorblind" means that you don't acknowledge the children's race and ethnicity. I do just the opposite - we notice and celebrate it! When one child says "J.'s hand is brown and mine is white," I respond with, "Yes, J. has lovely brown skin just like his mom and dad!" We read stories featuring people of every color regularly. We talk about what makes us special and unique. We learn words in other languages. We play, learn, eat, sing, dance, and grow together. I am not colorblind and I don't want the children to be either - I want them to respect and appreciate all people.
Hunni Bee 08:54 PM 12-17-2011
We had a young lady come interview to work with us and enroll her 4 year old daughter. We are 100% African American, both staff and children. She was Caucasian. We liked her, her daughter begged to play with my class and had to be dragged away when it was time to go, and we looked forward them starting. The day they were supposed to start they didn't show up or call, or the next day. When we finally got ahold of her through her eligibility worker, they said she was sick and would "never be coming to work with us" or sending her daughter. A light bulb came on in my mind, and I've always believed someone convinced her not to work in or send her child to an all-Black daycare. I could be wrong, but...
Blackcat31 08:15 AM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I have also been seeing a lot of care.com ads saying " Muslim preferred" and Filipino preferred .. It's actually really sad that these families could be missing out on some awesome providers that would be willing to learn about their culture and make their countries food dishes just for fun and a learning experience for the other kids.
I know you didn't mean it this way, but that (in bold above) is exactly why the families say they prefer the provider or setting to be Muslim or Fillipino or whatever culture they are looking for. Cultures are a way of living and not just for "fun".

I'd be upset if I thought my provider was integrating my culture or religious traditions "just for fun" and not as a fundamentally important part of living...kwim? I get what you meant about it being good for everyone to experience all cultures but the way it was stated was kind of hurtful IMOP.

I have a very culturally diverse group of kids too and celebrating or learning about other races, cultures and traditions should never be 'theme weeks' or special events.

It should simply be natural and part of the everyday curriculum as if it were no different than anyone else's beliefs.
CheekyChick 08:32 AM 12-18-2011
My kids are all different colors and I love them all the same.

The real question should be: As a parent, would you put your child in a daycare with a white provider if your child was black? Or a black provider if your child was hispanic? Or an Asian provider if your child was Indian? You get what I mean... I wonder if parents would prefer their child be taken care of by someone of the same race.
Crystal 08:44 AM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
To screen people and refuse to interview/enroll them based on their race is called RACISM. Point blank. End of story. It is disgusting and I hope she isn't passing her bigotry down to the children in her care.
I live in a fairly large urban area and my daycare has always been multi-cultural. I've had children from every race, religion, and walk of life. When we get stares at the playground and people ask, "Are these all your children?" I smile and say yes.
I would have to say though, that I am not "colorblind." To say that you are "colorblind" means that you don't acknowledge the children's race and ethnicity. I do just the opposite - we notice and celebrate it! When one child says "J.'s hand is brown and mine is white," I respond with, "Yes, J. has lovely brown skin just like his mom and dad!" We read stories featuring people of every color regularly. We talk about what makes us special and unique. We learn words in other languages. We play, learn, eat, sing, dance, and grow together. I am not colorblind and I don't want the children to be either - I want them to respect and appreciate all people.
YES! YES! YES!
Michelle 09:10 AM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know you didn't mean it this way, but that (in bold above) is exactly why the families say they prefer the provider or setting to be Muslim or Fillipino or whatever culture they are looking for. Cultures are a way of living and not just for "fun".

I'd be upset if I thought my provider was integrating my culture or religious traditions "just for fun" and not as a fundamentally important part of living...kwim? I get what you meant about it being good for everyone to experience all cultures but the way it was stated was kind of hurtful IMOP.

I have a very culturally diverse group of kids too and celebrating or learning about other races, cultures and traditions should never be 'theme weeks' or special events.

It should simply be natural and part of the everyday curriculum as if it were no different than anyone else's beliefs.
The parents I have don't think what I do is hurtful.
They loved it when I ask about their country,cultures,food.
They love it that I am learning their languages.
Most providers would never go as far as I have to make them feel wanted and loved in my home and embrace who they are and where they come from.
When we took the kids to Disneyland and I had to call all the parents to tell them we were going to be late, I spoke 3 different languages in a span of 5 minutes and One of my dcg's is deaf and she asked me something while I was on my cell talking in Spanish and I signed to her while doing this. Then asked my assistant something in English. This guy sitting next to me was pretty impressed.
Last Summer for V.B.S we had a day where the kids were to dress up from another country. One of my Nigerian daycare parents made some outfits from her country and my daughter braided all their hair. This mother was not offended at all. They had "fun" that day.They also know more about Africa than most High school graduates! In my daycare we learn through play!

Black cat, do you have a dress up center with outfits from different countries?
Do your kids have fun with them?
I know on the internet it's really hard to tell people's intentions and tone of their voice. Maybe you just didn't understand the intent of my post.
JenNJ 01:02 PM 12-18-2011
My son went to a preschool last year that had 22 kids in his class. Only one child was not white. Around here, that is just how it is. I wouldn't seek out a single race daycare.

I think people are people no matter the skin color so really I don't care what races are present or not as long as the character of the kids is good, I would place my son there.
jen 03:47 PM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
YES!!!! I was trying to think of a way to express this thought, but you did it better than I could of!
Blackcat31 04:10 PM 12-18-2011
The parents I have don't think what I do is hurtful.
They loved it when I ask about their country,cultures,food.
They love it that I am learning their languages.
Most providers would never go as far as I have to make them feel wanted and loved in my home and embrace who they are and where they come from.
When we took the kids to Disneyland and I had to call all the parents to tell them we were going to be late, I spoke 3 different languages in a span of 5 minutes and One of my dcg's is deaf and she asked me something while I was on my cell talking in Spanish and I signed to her while doing this. Then asked my assistant something in English. This guy sitting next to me was pretty impressed.
Last Summer for V.B.S we had a day where the kids were to dress up from another country. One of my Nigerian daycare parents made some outfits from her country and my daughter braided all their hair. This mother was not offended at all. They had "fun" that day.They also know more about Africa than most High school graduates! In my daycare we learn through play!

Black cat, do you have a dress up center with outfits from different countries?
Do your kids have fun with them?
I know on the internet it's really hard to tell people's intentions and tone of their voice. Maybe you just didn't understand the intent of my post.

Yes, I might not have understood the intent of your post but your words were "to learn about their culture and make their countries food dishes just for fun".

To me that says those cultures aren't a part of your everyday curriculum but are done "just for fun". Sort of like 1 day out of each month is a day to have food from the Hispanic cultures but the rest of the days it is American food. Does that make sense?

Like I said, I am sure you didn't mean it the way I took it but I dont like hearing providers say they do things that are multi-cultural and are all inclusive but then act as if learning about cultures different than their own is a theme for a week or a "fun day" of something different.

I think that if you are going to say you are multi-cultural, then every single child in your program should have their culture and traditions represented 100%equally. Christmas should be no more of a celebration than Kwanzaa or Las Posadas. One should never be viewed as the norm while other cultures are for fun or simply a learning experience.

....and yes, I do have a multi-cultural mix of dress up clothing. I have 16 different outfits and each of them represents a different culture and/or region of the world. I also have 8 animal costumes. I suppose my kiddos have fun with all the dress up clothes or they wouldn't play with them as much as they do.
Michelle 04:46 PM 12-18-2011
O.k. I get what you are saying.
I really wouldn't be able to serve their cultural foods everyday because alot of it is high in carbs and very spicy but we do listen to all different types of music, all the kids are learning Spanish, Edo, and sign language, and of course we have multi cultural puppets,dress up clothes, and skin color crayons from Lakeshore.
Blackcat31 04:48 PM 12-18-2011
O.k. I get what you are saying.
I really wouldn't be able to serve their cultural foods everyday because alot of it is high in carbs and very spicy but we do listen to all different types of music, all the kids are learning Spanish, Edo, and sign language, and of course we have multi cultural puppets,dress up clothes, and skin color crayons from Lakeshore.
See, I knew we were on the same page.
familyschoolcare 07:47 PM 12-18-2011
so all this talk about cultures, races and ethenic food, caused me to remember when I took a nutrtion class a while back one of the things they told us we should be doing is to serve food that repersents all the cultures and ethenicies of the children in the day care. This made me laugph because I have a white children, so what does that look like for me.
countrymom 06:37 AM 12-19-2011
I live in a small town that is made up of all white french farmers, so most of the kids I get are white. My 7 yr old has a friend (not best friend but a good friend) that lives 5 houses down and she is biracial, alex never talks about her color, she just tells me how bad she is at school. My kids have different races that go to their school and my kids are friends with them. My kids don't care what color you are as long as you want to play with them. Its sad that parents are so prejudice.
Zoe 08:53 AM 12-19-2011
I think that's terrible that someone would seek out and have a one-race daycare. I can see if they geared their program more toward a Hmong/Muslim/etc. for comfort sake, but to discriminate is just plain wrong.

My daycare is all white but that's only because I live in a predominantly white town. I've interviewed with one African American mom who didn't go with me, but I doubt it was a race issue.
Michelle 11:38 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I think that's terrible that someone would seek out and have a one-race daycare. I can see if they geared their program more toward a Hmong/Muslim/etc. for comfort sake, but to discriminate is just plain wrong.

My daycare is all white but that's only because I live in a predominantly white town. I've interviewed with one African American mom who didn't go with me, but I doubt it was a race issue.
I know, it's terrible and I think the kids in their care are at a disadvantage.
AmyLeigh 12:04 PM 12-19-2011
It's funny when I take all of the kids out together. I'm a blue eyed redhead, my children all are blue eyed blondes. DCC are all hispanic. People will stop and ask if they are all mine, then look more closely and realize that only half look like me. But I hug and yell at all of them the same!
I would not look for an exclusive race daycare for my own children. I would look for a provider that fits with my kids, no matter what she/he looked like. I can understand that some people are more comfortable with others from the same culture, but I believe we all have a lot to learn from each other.
Springdaze 01:08 PM 12-19-2011
When I first opened, my kids were the only white kids for a good while, didnt think anything of it until my dd got lice, and I was glad the kids were all African American! In my kids' elem school, my kids are the minority as there are alot of hispanic and Indian children. Ehhhhh, who cares!
Tags:race, racial, racial bais
Reply Up