Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Snack Questions?
CityGarden 01:15 PM 04-09-2018
Recently I attended a Waldorf training and the speaker stated they serve the same snack each day to help children build rhythm in her program.... i.e. the children know each Wednesday is Veggie Soup, etc.

What are your thoughts on repeating the same menu on a weekly basis?

(My dcks bring lunch from home so this would only impact AM snack)

Also if the dcks go home at 3:00pm (here 8:30-3:00pm) would you serve them an afternoon snack? I'm on the fence..... it seems after nap they should have a snack but it is often wasted or they still have plenty of lunch they could finish.... thoughts?
storybookending 01:44 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Recently I attended a Waldorf training and the speaker stated they serve the same snack each day to help children build rhythm in her program.... i.e. the children know each Wednesday is Veggie Soup, etc.

What are your thoughts on repeating the same menu on a weekly basis?

(My dcks bring lunch from home so this would only impact AM snack)

Also if the dcks go home at 3:00pm (here 8:30-3:00pm) would you serve them an afternoon snack? I'm on the fence..... it seems after nap they should have a snack but it is often wasted or they still have plenty of lunch they could finish.... thoughts?
I have seen members on there state they do similar. Here We aren’t supposed to repeat meals more than once in a month... I forget the exact wording but it’s said in some form or another in our licensing. I deff don’t exactly follow this as I’m not going to serve a certain snack and leave the leftovers get stale and go to waste bc we aren’t supposed to see it again for a month

As for your other question what time do you have them eat their lunches?
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 04-09-2018
All my meals and snacks are on a rotating schedule.
Sometimes it's the same every two weeks and sometimes the rotation is longer...depends on the group of kids I have.

Last year, my rotation was every 2 weeks.
This year it's every week with small variations as this group of kids isn't as open and willing to try new things as the previous group.

I do agree that routine such as that helps the children learn and in the same way as a daily routine for activities helps them feel secure and safe, I imagine the same concept applies to meals and snacks.

I have one little one right now that stresses to mom everyday on the way to care "What if I don't like what we are eating today or won't want to try it?"

Mom said it's the same convo every day...which is ironically weird because this little one eats SUPER good and never has issues with anything new but that conversation came to mind when I read your post.
CityGarden 01:55 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I have seen members on there state they do similar. Here We aren’t supposed to repeat meals more than once in a month... I forget the exact wording but it’s said in some form or another in our licensing. I deff don’t exactly follow this as I’m not going to serve a certain snack and leave the leftovers get stale and go to waste bc we aren’t supposed to see it again for a month

As for your other question what time do you have them eat their lunches?
I do think the food program has rules/guidelines about repeating meals but I am not on the food program... I will double check licensing.

We have:
9:30 Morning Snack
12:00 - 12:30PM Lunch
12:30-2:30PM Nap
3:00PM Pick Up

(Mondays lunch and nap tend to fall 30 minutes earlier because the group is overtired)

I can do snack after lunch which would mean less play time and less time to mess up the place right before leaving but it is also a busy time getting everyone on the potty after nap, all diapers changed, packed up and ready.... so I am torn.
CityGarden 02:10 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I do agree that routine such as that helps the children learn and in the same way as a daily routine for activities helps them feel secure and safe, I imagine the same concept applies to meals and snacks.
The speaker said while most young children do not comprehend the day of the week or which day they go to preschool they do remember their "soup day" or "yoga day" etc. and that is provides a security in that way...

I have been doing a monthly menu.... and rhythm for the children has not been factored. I thought it was a neat concept and could still leave some room for variety as veggie soup would have veggies based on what is seasonal, fruit would also have to change based on the seasons.
CityGarden 02:39 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have one little one right now that stresses to mom everyday on the way to care "What if I don't like what we are eating today or won't want to try it?"

Mom said it's the same convo every day...which is ironically weird because this little one eats SUPER good and never has issues with anything new but that conversation came to mind when I read your post.
This is so cute. I have a little foodie in my bunch who is very similar.
storybookending 04:04 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I do think the food program has rules/guidelines about repeating meals but I am not on the food program... I will double check licensing.
Ah yes you are correct that may have been something I read in the food program information rather than licensing
hwichlaz 01:16 PM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Ah yes you are correct that may have been something I read in the food program information rather than licensing
My food program doesn’t care. Not repeating meals is a suggestion, but they don’t expect us to waste food either.
alyssahenderson 02:01 AM 04-27-2018
I don't have issues repeating menu as long as it is always healthy.
Tags:snacks
Reply Up