Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Survey
MrsB 12:53 PM 02-27-2012
Has anyone given their DKPs surveys? I have really wanted to do a survey for a long time.
If so, did you try to make it annonymous? Did you get good feedback? What questions did you ask?

Here are some of the questions that I thought I might ask? And I thought you might be able to add some.

What is your favorite thing about Blankety-Blank Daycare?
What is your least favorite thing?
What has been your favorite monthly theme?
Would you take advantage of a Parents Night Out if it was offered 1 per month?
If so what hours would you prefer it cover, ie 7pm -11pm, overnight 7pm - 8am.
What would you be willing to pay for those PNO hours?
What policy do you think benefits you the most out of the handbook?
Which policy do you think is most unfair out of the handbook?
Do your childs routines at daycare, conflict with routines at home on the weekends? How so?
What activities does your child talk about outside of care?
Do you have any new Field Trip ideas that your child might enjoy?

I realize some of this opens me up for alot of bashing. But Im prepared... I think! Plus my curiousity is killing me
spud912 01:10 PM 02-27-2012
I've always wanted to do this also....curious to see your answers. I'm sure some parents won't respond, though.
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Has anyone given their DKPs surveys? I have really wanted to do a survey for a long time.
If so, did you try to make it annonymous? Did you get good feedback? What questions did you ask?

Here are some of the questions that I thought I might ask? And I thought you might be able to add some.

What is your favorite thing about Blankety-Blank Daycare?
What is your least favorite thing?
What has been your favorite monthly theme?
Would you take advantage of a Parents Night Out if it was offered 1 per month?
If so what hours would you prefer it cover, ie 7pm -11pm, overnight 7pm - 8am.
What would you be willing to pay for those PNO hours?
What policy do you think benefits you the most out of the handbook?
Which policy do you think is most unfair out of the handbook?
Do your childs routines at daycare, conflict with routines at home on the weekends? How so?
What activities does your child talk about outside of care?
Do you have any new Field Trip ideas that your child might enjoy?

I realize some of this opens me up for alot of bashing. But Im prepared... I think! Plus my curiousity is killing me
Personally I think you might want to word these questions differently. The way you wrote them make it appear to me that you think there are policies that are unfair....kwim?

I would say something along the lines of "Are there any policies that you would like to see ammended so they fit better with your current situation?" or something similar. Maybe just ask if they have any particular policies they wish to comment on?

I just think the point of a policy handbook IS to benefit the parent (safe rules/sickness policies etc ) so ideally the handbook should be viewed as looking out for the best interest of the families you have in care.
wdmmom 01:40 PM 02-27-2012
Why would you want to know? If they signed up with you, they know your rules and must abide by them. They wouldn't have signed with you if they couldn't live with them. KWIM?

I don't think I would ever open that door. I might give this type of survey to a client that is leaving but not to current clients.
MrsB 02:05 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally I think you might want to word these questions differently. The way you wrote them make it appear to me that you think there are policies that are unfair....kwim?

I would say something along the lines of "Are there any policies that you would like to see ammended so they fit better with your current situation?" or something similar. Maybe just ask if they have any particular policies they wish to comment on?

I just think the point of a policy handbook IS to benefit the parent (safe rules/sickness policies etc ) so ideally the handbook should be viewed as looking out for the best interest of the families you have in care.
I agree Blackcat! I think I am leaning on the side of not including any questions about the contract or policies because I really think that they are fair for everyone.

Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Why would you want to know? If they signed up with you, they know your rules and must abide by them. They wouldn't have signed with you if they couldn't live with them. KWIM?

I don't think I would ever open that door. I might give this type of survey to a client that is leaving but not to current clients.
The question about the rule not being fair, isnt necessarily the reason for the survey and I agree probably should not be asked. My current handbook has gone thru SO MANY revisions over the years. I am not even sure if any is left from my original. So, I am sure you and most everyone are with me, if its in the handbook its because we have faced an issue. Therefore needed to put it there to safeguard everyone.

To me I dont base my success on getting them in the door and signing a contract and thats the end of it. I want to continue to grow and want my program to reflect that too. I want to have an open relationship with my parents and I value there input. For the most part, I dont have alot of dialogue with my DCP because I try to make transitions at drop off and pick up run quick and smoothly. I thought this might be a good way to get their input.
Blackcat31 02:12 PM 02-27-2012
I have done parent surveys (anonymously) in the past and I kept the responses to learn how I can better meet parent needs and how I can change my business to better meet the needs of a growing community of parents that I no longer belong to since my kids are older and I am not looking for daycare so I know nothing about that side of things.

I have also kept many of the responses in a portfolio and used them as references to incoming potential clients so they can see that I am continually changing and growing in a positive manner.

I personally think parental/client feedback is the most valuable resource that a self-employed business owner can have.

I would do it more myself, and in light of this thread, may just do exactly that since it has been a long while since I last did it and I could use some outside feedback as I think we all get a bit cpmplacent with the way things are without ever realizing we could change things.

Feedback from parents isn't always negative, in my opinion and if it were, at least you would have an idea of what you could do differently.
mac60 05:00 PM 02-27-2012
I would never open that box of worms. I could just imagine how the "parents" would want things done. And after their suggestions, and say you don't use them, then what.
Lucy 08:24 PM 02-27-2012
I just think this is a bad idea. No offense to you at all. You know, and the parents know, that you would be able to figure out who wrote what. If you got a hurtful response, it could cause bad feelings. I say just go with the status quo. If someone has an issue with you and is too afraid to tell you about it, then that's their problem.

Maybe you could give it to departing families? Kind of an exit interview type thing???
mac60 03:44 AM 02-28-2012
I just recently accepted a very part time job, I worked one weekend, then quit. It was in a long term care facility in the activities dept. I have my activities certification. I know what is supposed to go on in activities during the day. Working with the activities director for 2 days, I did not like what I saw or how things were ran. Things that were done were simply not right. When I left, I received an exit interview paper asking a lot of questions about why I was quitting, what could be done different, etc. Well I answered the questions and sent in a paper explaining myself. I never heard back. They "really" didn't care or want to know why I quit, if they truely did, they would have called me back to talk with me to discuss some of the issues. This was just their protocol to send an exit interview. I went into detail, yet they couldn't take 5 minutes to follow up. I of coarse had to sign my name. Unless you are seriously going to follow up with whatever is said, I wouldn't open this can of worms.
littlemissmuffet 09:26 AM 02-28-2012
I would never in a million years open this pandora's box. Asking questions like these leads the parent to believe that they have a say in how I operate my home and daycare. Quite frankly, they don't.

I have been doing this long enough to know what works for me and the kiddos.

If a parent wants to come and run my daycare for a week without any assistance to get a feel for it BEFORE providing some suggestions... by all means.
kendallina 10:25 AM 02-28-2012
I think doing a parent survey is great. I've considered doing one for my preschool and just haven't gotten around to it. I think it shows parents you're willingness to take them into consideration and to consider alternatives that might work for everyone.

I don't think it's opening a pandora's box at all. All businesses should consider the needs of their clients. Of course you wouldn't have to do everything that's suggested. You wouldn't have to do anything that's suggested, but it's beneficial to know what your clients are thinking and if there are things that could be adjusted to help them and maybe help you, then go for it! I don't understand some provider's opinions of not wanting to know what their clients think of their business.

ETA: I do agree with PP suggestion to reword some of the questions to not make them negative (i.e... 'unfair' policies).
littlemissmuffet 10:54 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I think doing a parent survey is great. I've considered doing one for my preschool and just haven't gotten around to it. I think it shows parents you're willingness to take them into consideration and to consider alternatives that might work for everyone.

I don't think it's opening a pandora's box at all. All businesses should consider the needs of their clients. Of course you wouldn't have to do everything that's suggested. You wouldn't have to do anything that's suggested, but it's beneficial to know what your clients are thinking and if there are things that could be adjusted to help them and maybe help you, then go for it! I don't understand some provider's opinions of not wanting to know what their clients think of their business.

ETA: I do agree with PP suggestion to reword some of the questions to not make them negative (i.e... 'unfair' policies).
I guarantee the number one "suggestion" would be to open earlier and close later. Not going to happen.

I have an open door policy - my parents can come to me anytime they want to discuss anything daycare related - and they do. We go from there.

Suggestion boxes and surveys aren't my style. If someone has something to say, I expect them to come and say it to me face-to-face so it can be addressed immediately. If a parent has a request they come to me and they get a simple "yes" or "no". My families know this right from the get go.
Josiegirl 08:33 AM 08-16-2015
I know this is an old thread but I'd really like to know if anyone has any new ideas about this? I have to renew my annual STARS application and sending home a parent survey is one of the requirements. I have a few different ones to borrow from but wonder if there are things I could/should be asking that I have overlooked?

I've always had wonderful feedback and helpful suggestions from my dcps. I look at this much the same way that BlackCat mentioned on here. In fact, I used the rewording BC offered about the policies. It's simply for input, it doesn't mean I'm going to change my whole handbook around to suit a dcf. But if I can make small changes that may help dcfs out, why not?

Thanks all!!
Scribbles 08:40 AM 08-16-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I know this is an old thread but I'd really like to know if anyone has any new ideas about this? I have to renew my annual STARS application and sending home a parent survey is one of the requirements. I have a few different ones to borrow from but wonder if there are things I could/should be asking that I have overlooked?

I've always had wonderful feedback and helpful suggestions from my dcps. I look at this much the same way that BlackCat mentioned on here. In fact, I used the rewording BC offered about the policies. It's simply for input, it doesn't mean I'm going to change my whole handbook around to suit a dcf. But if I can make small changes that may help dcfs out, why not?

Thanks all!!
I do parent surveys twice a year. The first thing it says though is that I am not going to change my policies unless I personally feel it works for me but that parent feedback is important in many ways. Its good to know where you stand in the consumers eye and to know if you meet the current needs of a community. I dont have my own kids at home so I know nothing about what parents now days need or want in regards to child care and feel feedback from clients is kind of a sneak peak on how to advertise. Its a free marketing resource that I definitely take advantage of.
littletots 04:22 PM 08-16-2015
My license requires me to do annual parent conferences and the licensing agency emails parent surveys. We, the providers, never see the results of the survey. The survey is used to help judge provider of the year. I'm sure if parents say something that jumps out at the coordinator she would address it with the individual provider (additional training, discussion). I would prefer the office share the results which each provider. We wouldn't need parents name only feedback. But they don't. I'm sure I could do my own survey but in my case those items could be addressed during the parent conference.
Tags:parent surveys, stars program, survey, survey results
Reply Up