Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with clean up time
MNMum 08:24 AM 04-18-2012
Ughhh...I dread telling the boys it is time to clean up. I've tried various things. They are 4,4, and 2.5 . I also have 1-3 toddlers, that aren't quite developmentally up to the challenge. Am I expecting too much that they be able to clean up their toys? We have specific bins, they all know where everything goes.

If we sing the clean up song, that is all they do...sing the song.

I have one that is awesome, if he wants to, he gets the job done well.

I have one that wanders around the room, knowing if he keeps wandering, everyone else will do it.

My son (2.5 yrs) is awful, he just doesn't do it.

Then there is the "So and so isn't cleaning up." Which at this point my response is, "It's not your job to keep so and so in line" (usually so and so is my kid.)

Clean up time is just prior to outside time, they know the reward is we get to go outside. I've tried cleaning up with them, then I am the only one cleaning up. I've tried just being in the room watching. I've ducked around the corner to see if that will help. I have resorted to making the wanderer do the job himself while everyone else sits back - then he will do it. I praise the one or two toys that are being put away.

HELP! I'm ready to have my husband install high shelves and only allow one thing out at a time!
dEHmom 08:56 AM 04-18-2012
It is a good idea to have them clean up several times during the day.

All my dck's are under 2 yrs (well 1 just turned 2) and they all clean up. I have to keep reminding them. They dont' understand 1 toy at a time, and love lego and blocks, so those aren't 1 toy at a time type toys. But I am constantly reminding them to clean it up. They are starting to get the hang of it, and cleanup only takes a few minutes. They are also understanding if they want to go outside or have lunch on time, they got to clean it up. I do not allow them to walk away without helping.

They are sneaky enough at 1.5 yrs of age to figure out that standing there in the corner with your hand in a bin LOOKS like they are cleaning, then they are smart enough to figure out they have to clean.
MrsB 09:15 AM 04-18-2012
I often give each of them a "bin" or task.

So someone cleans the farm animals
someone cleans the play food etc.

This seems a little easier for the younger ones to manage.

We also designate a clean inspector. The clean inspector goes around the room and will find say "a block" and then the person responsible for the block has to put it away. This sounds like it would be an excellent job for your "good cleaner". The kids will start taking pride in their individual job because they are being inspected by their peers.
Ariana 09:28 AM 04-18-2012
Be specific about tasks or items to pick up. I will often say "everyone find 3 things to put away" and repeat and encourage. I will also sometimes say "whoever cleans the most gets to pick the book we read at circle time" or whatever to entice them. I have also said "ok when everything gets put away we're going to play a surprise game" and then I just make up some random game like 'hide the rock' or something for 5 minutes before the next transition. Try and get them excited about it by giving them some control and promising something good when they're done. no one likes to clean up
Reply Up