Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Little Bummed
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:45 AM 10-23-2012
I got this via fb today.

"I would like to thank you for your time on Sunday. Our provider told us yesterday shes not retiring now. She couldn't do it, she can't leave the kids. I really liked your program however the payment policy just seems to not fit our work schedules as well. It's hard to pay when she's not going to be there. But I understand you need the income as well. We just have it now where we only pay for the days we use and if Jimmy gets rained out prior to noon we only pay for a half day. And since we both are off on holidays its hard to justify paying for it when shes with us. I hope if their is a time we need care and you have openings you would still let us be a part of your program. You seem very dedicated to your children and families. Again this is a hard decision to make. Thanks again "

I am a little bummed because I felt her dd would have been a good fit. However, I was just going to charge them for the days they told me they needed in a week. (m,w,f but if they knew only m,w I would just charge them for those two days- I have an odd m,w,f opening right now so it would have been good) I even said I would waive fees when he was "laid off during the winter", normally I would charge them a day per week to hold their spot which they could use if they wanted. I did say holidays that fell on their normal day would be pd just like everyone else. They were looking because their current provider was going to retire so I would understand wanting to leave her with the person that has had her since she was an infant. But I think she sent me all the other details thinking I would haggle on my rate... right? Does it seem that way to you? But, that really wouldn't be fair to my other parents that pay me that rate every week. (I am $125 a week and I said I would charge her $25 a day but in advance for the days they needed that week) Tell me to stand strong on that Her current provider is not licensed and they have to take all milk, juice etc. I am worth any extra money right?
lovemykidstoo 09:49 AM 10-23-2012
Absolutely you're worth everything you are charging. I think that you bent on alot of your policies as it is. I definately would not haggle anymore. Not to mention her message doesn't seem right anyway. If it's true that her provider isn't retiring now why would she go into all of the things that wouldn't work for them with you?
HappyHearts 09:51 AM 10-23-2012
Stay strong! IMO, I feel she was very detailed in the price issue in her message, which does come across, she was hoping for you to make exceptions for her, without her coming right out and asking. This way, to her, it was your idea.

By the way, I secretly stalk your FB page, Love it!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:04 AM 10-23-2012
thanks, that is what I needed to hear... i just seemed on Sunday like it was a no brainer. I think if I would offer to let her "pay me what she wants" She would be here. But, I can't do that! But, yes I think that is why she went into the whole payment thing. Now to think of my graceful reply...
And your all welcome to stalk my FB page... You can even make positive comments Seriously though, feel free to use any ideas off of there. It keeps me thinking because I know people look at what we do. It helps me to improve my program with the kids, if that makes sense.
lovemykidstoo 10:06 AM 10-23-2012
I would write back something to the effect that since her dcp isn't retiring that you won't need to go into what you would have charged or negotiated.
Cat Herder 10:07 AM 10-23-2012
Stick with your policy.

Those are WORDS.

They translate to "she is cheaper" ... nothing more.

DCM is telling you that paying less is more important to her than a stable, longterm placement for her daughter. She does not care what an amazing program you offer.

I'd shed no tears over her loss.

IMHO, It was a passive aggressive swipe and needs no response.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:18 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Stick with your policy.

Those are WORDS.

DCM is telling you that paying less is more important to her than a stable, longterm placement for her daughter. She does not care what an amazing program you offer.

IMHO, It was a passive aggressive swipe and needs no response.
Thanks, I agree on the "she is cheaper". Response will be something along the lines of "thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It was nice to meet you all and if, in the future, you should need care and I have an opening I would be delighted to take ****.
rhymia1 10:21 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Stick with your policy.

Those are WORDS.

IMHO, It was a passive aggressive swipe and needs no response

I often find this to be the case when I interview parents who are coming from an unlicensed provider. I don't even get worked up for the interview anymore, because I know that they will only compare price, not service.
DaisyMamma 10:37 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Absolutely you're worth everything you are charging. I think that you bent on alot of your policies as it is. I definately would not haggle anymore. Not to mention her message doesn't seem right anyway. If it's true that her provider isn't retiring now why would she go into all of the things that wouldn't work for them with you?
Exactly. Why did she need to bother mentioning anything else? Just keep looking. The right family will come along.
My3cents 11:05 AM 10-23-2012
She posted all of this of Face Book?

This is a conversation I would have wanted to have had on the phone, not for everyone else to view.

Stand by what your rates are. There is a reason her daycare provider wants to retire-

The right fit will come along- hang in there
cheerfuldom 11:24 AM 10-23-2012
i love what I see on your FB page. I would so enroll myself into your daycare, LOL

she is probably just the typical parent....wanted as much as she can get for as little as possible. you already compromised a bit and if that isnt good enough, then oh well. clearly the rate is the most important thing for her right now. you didnt do anything wrong!
e.j. 11:28 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
But I think she sent me all the other details thinking I would haggle on my rate... right?
This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through her message to you - she's trying to get you to agree to a lower rate. Ditto what everyone else here told you. Someone who truly appreciates the time and effort you put into your business will come along and won't balk about paying your current rate because they will know you're worth it.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:07 PM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
She posted all of this of Face Book?

This is a conversation I would have wanted to have had on the phone, not for everyone else to view.

Stand by what your rates are. There is a reason her daycare provider wants to retire-

The right fit will come along- hang in there
Private message not public on FB.
LK5kids 05:15 PM 10-23-2012
I think you are more than fair. It was great luck she fit in another part-time spot. You'll find another family to take it.
I openly stalk your fb page...(you know that). Everyone check out all the fantastic meals and activities @ Mrs. S's house!
And Oh...yes I too think it was VERY passive aggressive!
mac60 05:56 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:

I often find this to be the case when I interview parents who are coming from an unlicensed provider. I don't even get worked up for the interview anymore, because I know that they will only compare price, not service.
Coming from an unlicensed provider has nothing to do with it. Licensed/Unlicensed. The quality of care is/can be the same. Because a person has a piece of paper means nothing. I know of many superb unlicensed providers, just as I have heard of horror stories of the licensed ones.
Crazy8 06:14 AM 10-26-2012
I would simply reply with "Thank you for letting me know your decision, it was a pleasure meeting you". And let that be the end of it - don't go into what you would have charged, etc. Believe me, 3 months from now she would be a parent you are posting about who nickel and dimes you to death on what you charge. Many parents understand the rate they pay holds their child's spot whether they happen to get rained out or not is not your problem. Grrrr, I hate those types of parents!!!
MarinaVanessa 10:58 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I would simply reply with "Thank you for letting me know your decision, it was a pleasure meeting you". And let that be the end of it - don't go into what you would have charged, etc.
Yes this.

I'm confused however. Sounds to me like even if the main reason that she won't be enrolling into your daycare is because her provider decided not to retire afterall she has had reservations about your pricing anyway. I agree that she was probably also trying to fish to see if you were willing to conform to her needs by leaving you to believe that should you ever need childcare that you would be on her list.

Maybe her provider isn't retiring afterall. Maybe she doesn't like your pricing so much that she is going to continue looking for alternative childcare but wants to see if there's a chance you'll change your payment policy.
Reply Up