Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You've got to Be Kidding Me! Only In California
daycare 08:37 AM 12-30-2014
So every Tuesday and Thursday we go to the park near the house.

It has finally gotten cold for us which is 56 degrees, this is the high for today. At night in the 30's.

I had 3 parents ask me not to go to the park this morning because it's too cold to go outside. WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I told them that unless it is inclement weather, example lightning, under 32, or pouring down rain, we always go outside. I also reminded them that it is their responsibility to make sure that their child is dressed for the weather daily, no matter what time of the year. One mom actually took her kid back home. I just smiled and waived as they walked out the door.

It should be around 46 when we go an I intend to stay the full 2 hours we always do.

ok now you snow birds can laugh at us..

I can't believe what a sissy we Cali people can be... I hate the cold, but I would hate to be locked up for 10.5 hours with 14 kids for the next few weeks...
Kabob 08:43 AM 12-30-2014
It currently is -15 here with the windchill so the parents would be thrilled if I took the kids out in 40 degree weather. That's t-shirt weather in comparison to this...

You guys are so silly! I can't imagine thinking 30 degrees or even 40 is too cold...so lucky!
Cradle2crayons 08:43 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

It has finally gotten cold for us which is 56 degrees, this is the high for today. At night in the 30's.

I had 3 parents ask me not to go to the park this morning because it's too cold to go outside. WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I told them that unless it is inclement weather, example lightning, under 32, or pouring down rain, we always go outside. I also reminded them that it is their responsibility to make sure that their child is dressed for the weather daily, no matter what time of the year. One mom actually took her kid back home. I just smiled and waived as they walked out the door.

It should be around 46 when we go an I intend to stay the full 2 hours we always do.

I can't believe what a sissy we Cali people can be... I hate the cold, but I would hate to be locked up for 10.5 hours with 14 kids for the next few weeks...
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyy gosh I'd love that weather lol. I don't mind freezing temps. I don't mind scorchers. I just hate them in the same week like here lol.

Picture it... I wake up..sun is beautiful.... I stretch... Enjoy the 80 degree day... Go to sleep... Wake up... It's 28 degrees outside lol.
daycarediva 08:49 AM 12-30-2014
The 'real feel' is 19* here and I HATE THE COLD! I don't even mind the time it takes to get all the winter gear on. I just wish it wasn't necessary! I sucked it up this morning and will suck it up later to get outside, though.

LOL at your daycare parents leaving with the kid though! That's extreme! It isn't like it's a danger to him or anything!
Cradle2crayons 08:51 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
The 'real feel' is 19* here and I HATE THE COLD! I don't even mind the time it takes to get all the winter gear on. I just wish it wasn't necessary! I sucked it up this morning and will suck it up later to get outside, though.

LOL at your daycare parents leaving with the kid though! That's extreme! It isn't like it's a danger to him or anything!
That would be hilarious for a parent to leave because you were going outside. I'd pray for the same temp tomorrow. Heck you may have an easy week lol.
daycare 08:54 AM 12-30-2014
I knew you guys would laugh, heck I am from here and I thought that it was super funny.

I just don't understand why parents think this way. It is proven that the cold does not cause colds or flu, but I guess Californian's think that we are obsolete from this....lol

Oh well, one less kid to have to watch at the park.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:21 AM 12-30-2014

WOW. Insane.

Christmas day, we had a weirdly warm day--high of 49. After we opened gifts, my daughter and I threw on light sweaters over our pjs and went for a walk in the "warm" weather!
AuntTami 09:46 AM 12-30-2014
Oh my. It's SUPER COLD here today. My back screen door is frosted over because it's so cold outside and so much warmer in here lol. My parents would pull their kids OUT if I told them we couldn't go outside because it was "too cold" if the temp was over 40 lmao. You Californians
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 12-30-2014
You are all a bunch of pansies!

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

Unlike Kabob who has windchill temps in the negatives, my actual temp is in the negatives today.

Keeps you alert and on your toes

I winter.
daycare 09:54 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Unlike Kabob who has windchill temps in the negatives, my actual temp is in the negatives today.

I winter.
Can I print this out and post in the parent board. Lmao.
Leigh 10:00 AM 12-30-2014
I find this hilarious, also! I remember that during a trip to San Diego years ago, being amazed at the Californians in winter coats (the kind we wear when it's below zero) when my family was running around So. Cal. in our shorts and short-sleeved shirts with sandals! I couldn't imagine why a person could even purchase a parka in that climate! In 56 degree weather, we're still wearing shorts here. I don't even put on a jacket when I go out shopping until it's under 30!
Laurel 10:11 AM 12-30-2014

Sounds a little bit like our South Florida weather but not today. It is hot out today. I wish it was a little cooler but not 46 brrrrr. No really I wouldn't mind 46 but the Northerner's gotta remember that once you live in this climate for a while your blood kinda thins out or so I have heard.

Laurel

P.S. Just Googled the blood thinning thing. It is a myth. It said a higher altitude makes a difference but not a warmer climate.
CraftyMom 10:24 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyy gosh I'd love that weather lol. I don't mind freezing temps. I don't mind scorchers. I just hate them in the same week like here lol.

Picture it... I wake up..sun is beautiful.... I stretch... Enjoy the 80 degree day... Go to sleep... Wake up... It's 28 degrees outside lol.
Sounds like New England!
midaycare 10:26 AM 12-30-2014
Wow! Our "feel like" weather here is 8 right now. But we still tough it out. Everyone gets dressed up warm and cozy and we go out for 10 minutes here and there.

I think that is really funny of the dcf.
Controlled Chaos 10:48 AM 12-30-2014
hahaha it is 12 degrees here BEFORE wind chill! And we have crazy strong wind today! One parent commented casually to put gloves on the kids when I go out. We aren't going out only because of the wind lol but I love that these Utahn parents are down for freezing cold play
daycare 10:56 AM 12-30-2014
well I guess us pansies have to adjust to the cold. we didn't even make it all the way down the street before we had kids crying and asking to go back home. they were older too.

it didn't help that parents sent them in T-shirts and hoodies..... I will say it was pretty darn cold, the wind is blowing and in the shaded areas it felt pretty miserable even for me.

I am not very happy right now, I feel like calling the parents of kids who are not dressed well enough and have them sent home for the day. But I am going to suck it up and just let it go today. SInce we are closed on thursday we won't go back until next week, so next week I will call for pick up if a child is too cold to go outside to play due to improper clothing.

UGH...stuck in again.
CraftyMom 11:02 AM 12-30-2014
well I guess us pansies have to adjust to the cold. we didn't even make it all the way down the street before we had kids crying and asking to go back home. they were older too.

it didn't help that parents sent them in T-shirts and hoodies..... I will say it was pretty darn cold, the wind is blowing and in the shaded areas it felt pretty miserable even for me.

I am not very happy right now, I feel like calling the parents of kids who are not dressed well enough and have them sent home for the day. But I am going to suck it up and just let it go today. SInce we are closed on thursday we won't go back until next week, so next week I will call for pick up if a child is too cold to go outside to play due to improper clothing.

UGH...stuck in again.
That's the equivalent of us in colder climates that have kids without proper gear. The advice is always "Don't stay in for a child that is not prepared. Refuse care at the door or call the parents for pick up or to bring proper clothing"

Maybe send home a reminder today that any un prepared child from here forward will have their parents called or care will be refused at the door.
daycare 11:13 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
That's the equivalent of us in colder climates that have kids without proper gear. The advice is always "Don't stay in for a child that is not prepared. Refuse care at the door or call the parents for pick up or to bring proper clothing"

Maybe send home a reminder today that any un prepared child from here forward will have their parents called or care will be refused at the door.
exactly the plan for next week.. we do have this rule, I have sent people home for this reason before, but I am not going to get into with people today considering it's 4 kids that I let come in that way. That's my fault....I should have said no this morning. I guess I didn't realize that with the wind it was going to be too cold for them.
AuntTami 11:19 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I winter.
It's -1 here right now with a windchill of -15 so I'm freezing down here too! I wish it was in the 40's! I can handle the cold, but the snow is what I don't like. I hate driving in the snow, and living ontop of a hill makes for a dangerous trek if I want to go anywhere!
Meeko 12:22 PM 12-30-2014
Not using the slide today....... but above 40 degrees is warm!!!!!
Attached: unnamed (49).jpg (24.8 KB) 
daycare 12:25 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
omg we have that same slide, I should show my families this....
sharlan 12:31 PM 12-30-2014
I HATE the cold. If it requires a sweatshirt, it's too cold for me. My kids aren't going outside today. It's 50* here.
MOM OF 4 12:35 PM 12-30-2014
Below zero here, with wind chill -15...My kids are at daycare. She bundles the monsters...er..kids up and takes them out. She even takes out the 1 yo for a very short time.

My other kid and her friends are out tube sledding...lol
daycare 12:38 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:
Below zero here, with wind chill -15...My kids are at daycare. She bundles the monsters...er..kids up and takes them out. She even takes out the 1 yo for a very short time.

My other kid and her friends are out tube sledding...lol
wow thats amazing.... I wish I could ride on a sled. I have never in my whole life.
Unregistered 03:01 AM 12-31-2014
Yes, in WI you see teens and young adults in shorts when it's 56! I wouldn't have a coat on myself. 40's are a heat wave in the winter.
DaveA 04:00 AM 12-31-2014
Sounds like my sister who moved out to Monterrey/ Pacific Grove. She came home one winter just in time for a cold snap (highs maybe in the teens). Thought she was going to be a popsicle by the time it was done.

We have a sunroom, so if it's too cold or windy to go out with the kids we can at least go out there and soak up some sun for a bit.
Sunshine74 09:33 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
But that is the best to go down the slide in the snow!
Reply Up