Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing new parent and my kids went bonkers all at one
mommyneedsadayoff 11:08 AM 07-20-2015
So, I had an interview today with a potential dcm and she was super sweet and we got along right away. The interview last two hours (!) because we had a lot in common and just kept chatting. I did snack while she was here and changed some diapers and it was fine, but then every kid hit there wall at the EXACT same time. I had four kids clinging to me and two were crying and snot was flowing. She was very nice and said she best get going so I could get them all fixed up, but it still kind of stinks when a great interview ends on such a bad note. I guess it is just the job, but it makes me feel like others think I cannot handle a group, but they never act like this normally, so I am probably just overthinking it. I cannot control if she enrolls or not, but I sure hope so because I feel like it will be such a good fit. Can anyone relate to that feeling of wanting it to work out and hoping they realize this is not a typical day for the kids? They are just not used to having someone else around for such a long time. Oddly enough, my one little girl who was not crying, started crying when the mom said she better go because she didn't want her to leave! The other three were wanting food and as soon as mom left, I had lunch on the table in record time and they ate two bites and wanted down. I cannot win with these little munchkins somedays!
AuntTami 11:16 AM 07-20-2015
That is exactly why I don't do interviews when I have children present.

They all seem to lose their minds at the exact same time and although it's normal for children to cry and get upset, I don't want to try to conduct an interview and handle my group.

I hope she understands that children act up when a new person is around. I'm sure she does.
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
So, I had an interview today with a potential dcm and she was super sweet and we got along right away. The interview last two hours (!) because we had a lot in common and just kept chatting. I did snack while she was here and changed some diapers and it was fine, but then every kid hit there wall at the EXACT same time. I had four kids clinging to me and two were crying and snot was flowing. She was very nice and said she best get going so I could get them all fixed up, but it still kind of stinks when a great interview ends on such a bad note. I guess it is just the job, but it makes me feel like others think I cannot handle a group, but they never act like this normally, so I am probably just overthinking it. I cannot control if she enrolls or not, but I sure hope so because I feel like it will be such a good fit. Can anyone relate to that feeling of wanting it to work out and hoping they realize this is not a typical day for the kids? They are just not used to having someone else around for such a long time. Oddly enough, my one little girl who was not crying, started crying when the mom said she better go because she didn't want her to leave! The other three were wanting food and as soon as mom left, I had lunch on the table in record time and they ate two bites and wanted down. I cannot win with these little munchkins somedays!
LOL!!

This is exactly why I do interviews while kids are present.

I want potential clients to see how I manage what my day is really like. I don't want them to only see a perfectly clean house with organized toys no one is actually using and I don't want to explain how I manage chaos.... I want them to see it.

If you managed the chaos just fine and didn't lose your cool then I would think she LOVED what she saw and that the interview did not end on a negative note. She got to see the real you doing your real job.

In my eyes both as a parent and a provider it's exactly what we should all be able to do.

As a parent I would sign on for sure. I passed on any provider not willing to show her true day/role/environment.

As a provider I would take her as a client because she showed you she recognizes that kids act up and more than likely because another adult was present so she high tailed it out of there so you could continue on with your day.

I see ALL of that as positive things.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:49 AM 07-20-2015
This is the first time I have done an interview for this long while kids are present, but I think she took it all in stride. I just loved the interview and to end it with kids crying and climbing me like a tree makes me feel...weird, I guess? I handled it like I normally do and stayed calm, but I always feel like parents are judging me when a baby cries, like if I don't instantly calm them down, I am not good at my job. I know, I am making too much of it, and she was a great interview and I would love to have her kid, but if it is not meant to be, then it is what it is. I feel really lucky though. This dcm found me on FB through mutual friends and I wasn't even really looking to add another kid, but just kind of went with it and now I really hope it works out!
AmyKidsCo 12:20 PM 07-20-2015
Personally, I think it was probably a good thing! She got a chance to see you in action, and assuming you took it all in stride and didn't strangle any of the darlings, she's probably thinking that you totally rock for being able to handle all of that without going nuts.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:15 AM 07-21-2015
Maybe I spoke too soon. Dcm messaged me last night and asked if I was licensed, which is weird, because we discussed it all yesterday and then said, "Oh and about babyproofing the house for a crawler, we both have islands with pesky corners and I haven't figured out how to cover them yet."

It's not even a question, like will you cover the corners, so I wasn't sure what to respond. And why not bring it up yesterday? A crawler wouldn't even be in my kitchen and I have other kids who have gone from crawling to walking and the corners have never been an issue. I don't plan to cover them anyway, since they are not that big of a deal, but I do wonder if some people baby proof every square inch of their house because they do not actively supervise their kids. I get paid to supervise and keep them safe, so I guess I am just being a little sensitive this morning. Such a great interview and a few hours later, mom is passive aggressively telling me to baby proof for a baby who is not even crawling yet. I need more coffee.
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 07-21-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Maybe I spoke too soon. Dcm messaged me last night and asked if I was licensed, which is weird, because we discussed it all yesterday and then said, "Oh and about babyproofing the house for a crawler, we both have islands with pesky corners and I haven't figured out how to cover them yet."

It's not even a question, like will you cover the corners, so I wasn't sure what to respond. And why not bring it up yesterday? A crawler wouldn't even be in my kitchen and I have other kids who have gone from crawling to walking and the corners have never been an issue. I don't plan to cover them anyway, since they are not that big of a deal, but I do wonder if some people baby proof every square inch of their house because they do not actively supervise their kids. I get paid to supervise and keep them safe, so I guess I am just being a little sensitive this morning. Such a great interview and a few hours later, mom is passive aggressively telling me to baby proof for a baby who is not even crawling yet. I need more coffee.
Maybe she has interviewed more than one program and forgot which questions she did and didn't remember to ask you (or them)....

in reference to the baby proofing...maybe she was hoping you'd have some helpful tips or advice so she could cover the corners of her kitchen island...

I'd e-mail back with what you just said:

Good morning DCM

Yes, as we discussed yesterday I am fully licensed and follow all the rules and regulations imposed on me by licensing.

As for the kitchen island, don't worry about that. I am paid to supervise the kids and keep them safe and part of that is not allowing them to play in the kitchen since kitchens weren't designed for play anyways so those pesky corners aren't an issue here.

Provider

mommyneedsadayoff 07:28 AM 07-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe she has interviewed more than one program and forgot which questions she did and didn't remember to ask you (or them)....

in reference to the baby proofing...maybe she was hoping you'd have some helpful tips or advice so she could cover the corners of her kitchen island...

I'd e-mail back with what you just said:

Good morning DCM

Yes, as we discussed yesterday I am fully licensed and follow all the rules and regulations imposed on me by licensing.

As for the kitchen island, don't worry about that. I am paid to supervise the kids and keep them safe and part of that is not allowing them to play in the kitchen since kitchens weren't designed for play anyways so those pesky corners aren't an issue here.

Provider
Thank you for the help! I just emailed her back! I just couldn't think of what to say (my brain has called in sick today) so I put pretty much what you wrote and added a link to this foam edging stuff at Target, in case she was just looking for tips for her own house. We shall see I guess
Reply Up